Peter Larsen

Default site updated, live location info added

Einstein topposted in the wrong newsgroup:

/* fixing the toppost */

There are horns, and there are horns. There are indeed a few
reference monitor speakers that use horns (or horn like)
drivers for limited portions of the audio spectrum, but in
my experience these tend to, be among the less accurate
monitors.

Your experience is limited.

However the horn in question is a large full range horn system,

You have thoroughly messed up all context in this thread by your
topposting. However the bass horn contruction on my site, if that be
what is referred to is not a full range horn system, it is a bass horn.
It is also a remarkably good bass horn in its large version. The
rigidity of the room is the factor limiting its performance.

As for horns generally being baaaaad, that simply is a matter of high fi
magazine religion and incompetence. Midrange and treble horn drivers, by
the very property of being small and not having to move their membrane
very much, have a lot less problems to deal with in terms of delayed
resonance and breakup than membrane loudspeakers deployed in the same
ranges. In the context of this use they do not have distortion issues.
There are other issues with horns, the general issue is ending a horn,
making the transition into open air.

BTW, we are not talking about studio monitors, we are
talking about reference monitors, there is a major
difference there.

Could we please stop using these salesmens terms and try to assume them
welldefined, they aren't.

The Genelec 1036A ( http://www.genelecusa.com/products/1036a/1036a.php)
speakers with a pair of the Genelec 7073A subwoofers, though designed as
studio monitors would qualify as reference monitors because they are the
Genelec flagship speaker system,

Their being the "flagship speaker system" Genelec manufactures does not
make them reference monitors, the correlation is void, empty. Your logic
does not apply. It does not get good by being expensive or by being the
"top model".

and are used as a reference in designing
the other Genelec speakers.

How can you claim to know that?

[has heard them]
I'd tend to agree that they are indeed reference monitors.

The only Genelec speaker I have given a thorough listen was a fairly
small active one, my recommendation to the troubled owner was: "sell it,
you're right, it moves violins to front". It is unknowable to me if the
their large versions have the same issue with the treble loudspeaker.
The owner was troubled because he had tried using it as location monitor
and gotten the mic placement wrong because of its - ahem - properties.
It may be an excellent loudspeaker in other contexts, but not the one
that pair was purchased for and not in the context of that persons other
equipment and recording style.

You logic seems to be that

a) putting a construction on a website is advocacy
of it for any specific purpose.

b) if it is about monitor loudspeakers, then restricting
it to aapls is appropiate.

c) if it is expensive, then it is good.

d) topposting is the best thing after sliced bread.

Crossposting to rec.audio.tech added to get this moved to somewhere
where it is less inappropiate and followup-to: pointing thataway added
to keep it there.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen