Problem: Sansui 9090 Flashing red Protector Light

Old July 30th 03, 12:58 AM

Default Problem: Sansui 9090 Flashing red Protector Light

Hi,

Today I turned on the Sansui 9090 and the flashing red protector light next to
the power button continuously flashed and the stereo never did go on. The tuner
seemed to be picking up signals, as evidenced by the signal meter, but the
sound output meters registered zero and no sound came from the speakers. Usually
the light flashes red for a few seconds, turns green and then the tuner and
stereo activates. Can someone tell me what the cause might be and if there is a
simple fix?

I don't have a manual for the unit, and have no idea what the protector light is
for. Can someone tell me where to obtain a manual?

Thanks.
George
Old July 30th 03, 01:52 PM
Tim Schwartz

Hello,

The "protector" light will flash during power up and if a fault
triggers the protection circuit. Most commonly, that means there is an
unacceptable amount of DC offset in one of the power amp channels. Some
protection circuits also sense temperature and overload conditions.
Chances are that there is a problem in one (or both) channels of the
power amp section. The protection circuits themselves rarely fail.
Unless you are really lucky and just a fuse has failed from age, it is
not likely that there is a simple fix.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics