Sam Carleton

Default Class D vs Class A/B amps

I am putting Boston Acoustics through out my car, including sub. My
objective is sound quality first and SPL second. A sales man, who
seems to know what he is talking about 50% of the time, told me that
a Class D amp has more distortion then a Class A/B amp. He
continued and stated that considering the system I am putting
together, there would be a noticable difference in SQ if I opted for
a class D over an A/B. He is blowing smoke or is he right?

As a reference point, I am looking at using the Zapco 650
(http://www.zapco.com) to power three different sets of speakers:
rear (Boston Pro 6.5 system), dash (Boston Pro 4.5 system), and
midbass in the door (Boston Pro 6.5 woofer)

Sam

--
See my links engine for a collection of sites that
might be of interest to you. Your additions will
scott johnson

"Sam Carleton" wrote in message
I am putting Boston Acoustics through out my car, including sub. My
objective is sound quality first and SPL second. A sales man, who
seems to know what he is talking about 50% of the time, told me that
a Class D amp has more distortion then a Class A/B amp. He
continued and stated that considering the system I am putting
together, there would be a noticable difference in SQ if I opted for
a class D over an A/B. He is blowing smoke or is he right?

As a reference point, I am looking at using the Zapco 650
(http://www.zapco.com) to power three different sets of speakers:
rear (Boston Pro 6.5 system), dash (Boston Pro 4.5 system), and
midbass in the door (Boston Pro 6.5 woofer)

Sam

class d is for subwoofers only. and you won't be able to hear the distortion
difference..

scott johnson

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Class D is *not* for subs only. Infinity used to make a full-range class

amp and there is a company that does now, but I can't remember who it is.

Paul Vina

Let me add then : "In most cases". i was unaware that anyone made a class D
full range amp.

Daniel Ruiz

Xtant now does...

Danny D. Ruiz | How many times do you hear it? It goes
| on all day long. Everyone knows
| everything, and no one's ever wrong...
1998-1999 U.M. Band of the Hour Tuba| Until later...- Rush (Show Don't Tell)
2000-2001 Boston Crusaders Contra ----------------------------------------
2002-2003 FIU Banda del Sol Tuba section leader...

Tony Hwang

Hi,
Theoretically he is right but at sub woofer range of frequency, I don't
think distortion matters that much.
Tony

Sam Carleton wrote:

I am putting Boston Acoustics through out my car, including sub. My
objective is sound quality first and SPL second. A sales man, who
seems to know what he is talking about 50% of the time, told me that
a Class D amp has more distortion then a Class A/B amp. He
continued and stated that considering the system I am putting
together, there would be a noticable difference in SQ if I opted for
a class D over an A/B. He is blowing smoke or is he right?

As a reference point, I am looking at using the Zapco 650
(http://www.zapco.com) to power three different sets of speakers:
rear (Boston Pro 6.5 system), dash (Boston Pro 4.5 system), and
midbass in the door (Boston Pro 6.5 woofer)

Sam

John Durbin

Xtant makes a 100 watt full-range class D amp as of this year.

JD
why I'm not sure :-)

Paul Vina wrote:

[...]

Paul Vina

Me neither. It competes poorly with other full range Class D amps.

What other full range class D amps are there?

It's expensive,

I agree.

it lacks power

That's subjective. Two of them makes for a pretty powerful setup for a
component setup.

, and its power to size ratio is more like
a Class AB amp. Might as well get a Class AB amp!

Did you even read the review on it? It's about the size of an electronic
crossover. I can't think of too many 100 watts amps that size. Heck, my
old LP 992IQ was about twice the size of the Xtant.

It is not the most labor friendly thing in the world, but with the extra
mounting options because of the size it will find a niche.

Paul Vina

Kevin McMurtrie

In article 0vMSa.98249$GL4.26718@rwcrnsc53,
"Paul Vina" wrote:

Me neither. It competes poorly with other full range Class D amps.

What other full range class D amps are there?

The Tripath chipset amps, like the Blaupunkt. Blaupunkt's amp is about
twice the size (with the cosmetic panels removed) but it produces 400 to
500 watts.

http://www.blaupunktusa.com/amps/pa4100_features.asp

It's expensive,

I agree.

it lacks power

That's subjective. Two of them makes for a pretty powerful setup for a
component setup.

, and its power to size ratio is more like
a Class AB amp. Might as well get a Class AB amp!

Did you even read the review on it? It's about the size of an electronic
crossover. I can't think of too many 100 watts amps that size. Heck, my
old LP 992IQ was about twice the size of the Xtant.

It is not the most labor friendly thing in the world, but with the extra
mounting options because of the size it will find a niche.

Paul Vina

Kevin McMurtrie

The Tripath chipset still uses a pulse width modulated amplifier.
They've just tweaked the formula for generating the pulses. "Class T"
is a term they made up, not a standard. It's really a Class D amplifier
with a bit of refinement.

We're going to quickly run out of letters if every design tweak creates
a new class.

"Paul Vina" wrote:

[...]

Paul Vina

We're going to quickly run out of letters if every design tweak creates
a new class.

Especially if they keep skipping an assload of them at a time.

Paul Vina

Paul Vina

Oh good God....... I tought we were on T.

Paul Vina

"John Durbin" wrote in message ...
the good news is we're at "X" now, so the circus is running out of rings...

JD
alien alphabets notwithstanding

Paul Vina wrote:

We're going to quickly run out of letters if every design tweak creates
a new class.

Especially if they keep skipping an assload of them at a time.

Paul Vina

John Durbin

well, the offshore guys decided to call their own discrete (instead of
Tripath) full-range switching stuff class X ... Fahrenheit or someone
like them has been marketing it now for a couple of years.

JD