Can ears literally bleed from loud noise?

Old March 28th 04, 02:45 PM
Jesse Skeens

Default Can ears literally bleed from loud noise?

Hi,

I have done some damage to my ears from carelessness in the past.
Most notable about 2 years ago I was DJ'ing in a club and when I came
out hours later noticed a very loud ringing in my right ear, more so
than I normally would after DJ'ing. The reason it was just one ear is
because the otherone was used to moniter from my headphones which I
guess werent as loud as the moniter speaker blaring in my right. For
the next week my ear was sore and rang constantly. Finally things
settled and about a year later it was pretty much back to normal.
Ever since then I've been really carefull about using ear plugs etc...
but if I hear an unexpected loud noise it will deffinatly trigger a
little bit of pain in that ear so I know its got some lasting damage.

Anyways the other day I was in line with my mother at a checkout when
she was doing something with her keys. She has one of those alarm
keychains that are supposed to be able to ward off an attacker (bought
it after some woman got abducted in Austin where she lives). She
accidentaly hit the button and for a second the tone went off. It was
about 3-4 feet from my "bad" ear (my head was turned so that the left
didnt get as much of the burst). I could feel a little bit of
"stuffiness", almost like a subtle dull pain afterwards. A few hours
later I forgot about the whole thing until I went to clean my ears and
noticed a little bit of blood in the right one. Now it could have
been from me scratching the inside of my ear when I was rubbing it a
little after the incident but of course I was also worried that
somethign ruptured, if thats even possible.

Any ideas? I'd love to go to a doctor but cant afford it right now
and my insurance doesnt start for a few months.

Jesse
Old March 28th 04, 03:10 PM
Todd Bradley

Jesse Skeens wrote:
> noticed a little bit of blood in the right one. Now it could have
> been from me scratching the inside of my ear when I was rubbing it a
> little after the incident but of course I was also worried that
> somethign ruptured, if thats even possible.

Yes, it is definitely possible to rupture your eardrum
from loud noise. I'd seek medical attention, and work
harder to reduce the amount of noise going into your
ear. That's what earplugs are for!

Todd.
Old March 28th 04, 03:24 PM
DaveDrummer

Yes, its possible. The chances of ear damage increase with exposure though.
Someone who goes to a rock concert every saturday with no earplugs is much
more likely to get damage from sudden loud noises than someone who does go
to super loud shows without earplugs..

Dave

Old March 28th 04, 08:08 PM
Jesse Skeens

"DaveDrummer" > wrote in message >.. .
> Yes, its possible. The chances of ear damage increase with exposure though.
> Someone who goes to a rock concert every saturday with no earplugs is much
> more likely to get damage from sudden loud noises than someone who does go
> to super loud shows without earplugs..

That's what I figured. I'm really good about protecting my ears now
but I think the past damage has deffinatly made them more prone to
getting hurt from a random noise like this one.
Old March 28th 04, 08:09 PM
Jesse Skeens

Another question though, if the blood was from internal damage woudlnt
I have felt a lot of pain? There was a little discomfort but nothing
major. I have had blood in my ears before from little cuts from
cleaning so I'm hoping that's what happened this time.

Jesse
Old March 28th 04, 08:51 PM
NJD

In article >, medway808
@hotmail.com says...
> Another question though, if the blood was from internal damage woudlnt
> I have felt a lot of pain? There was a little discomfort but nothing
> major. I have had blood in my ears before from little cuts from
> cleaning so I'm hoping that's what happened this time.
>
> Jesse

Geez, man! I think you need to sit down with an audiologist.

Your ears should definitely not be bleeding from cleaning. You're doing
something WAY wrong.

Do yourself a favor. Get a syringe-based ear cleaning kit and do it the
right way from now on.

Hearing loss is generally permanent BTW.

--Nick
Old March 28th 04, 09:44 PM
Peter Larsen

Jesse Skeens wrote:

> Another question though, if the blood was from internal damage woudlnt
> I have felt a lot of pain? There was a little discomfort but nothing
> major. I have had blood in my ears before from little cuts from
> cleaning so I'm hoping that's what happened this time.

Jesse, the smallest object an unskilled person should try to insert into
an ear canal is an elbow.

Ears do *not* require cleaning and cleaning with anything but the water
that gets into them occasionally will interfere with their autocleaning
mechanism.

Ear wax is a cleaning mechanism, it is a conveyor belt. Too much earwax
can be a symptom of too much noise exposure. Properly inserted earplugs
will take the excess wax out with them when removed, improperly inserted
earplugs will push it up against the eardrum.

You should reask all your questions over in alt.support.tinnitus. Read
it with some care, there are strange people everywhere .... but also
good understanding and good advice to be gotten.

> Jesse

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Old March 28th 04, 11:13 PM
GaryM

>Any ideas? I'd love to go to a doctor but cant afford it right now
>and my insurance doesnt start for a few months.

I'm so glad I live in the UK after reading that.
Old March 29th 04, 05:45 AM
gothika

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 23:13:01 +0100, GaryM > wrote:

>>Any ideas? I'd love to go to a doctor but cant afford it right now
>>and my insurance doesnt start for a few months.

>I'm so glad I live in the UK after reading that.

Reminds me of a Nuegent concert I went to back in the 70's.
My left ear bled for 3 days, and I was about 90ft back from the stage.