Leoaw3

Default How loud is loud?

OK, I know it will vary according to venue and style - but in general how loud
is loud? Specifically how about
1) on stage monitors for church worship team
2) in congregation - normal folk-style worship
3) in congregation - youth/rock worship
4) folk music concert
5) rock concert

I'm consistently wanting it quieter than many things I hear -- I'm wanting to
know if its me, or if I just need earplugs.

Hearing damage can occur at sustained 95dB, right?

Any good sources with charts or somesuch? I have the Yamaha SR handbook, but I
haven't found recommendations within it yet.

Thanks much,
-lee-
james

In article ,
Leoaw3 wrote:

Any good sources with charts or somesuch? I have the Yamaha SR handbook, but I
haven't found recommendations within it yet.

www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation

Raymond

lee wrote
OK, I know it will vary according to venue and style - but in general how
loud
is loud? Specifically how about
1) on stage monitors for church worship team
2) in congregation - normal folk-style worship
3) in congregation - youth/rock worship
4) folk music concert
5) rock concert

As far as a church is conserned, it will depend on the congergation on how loud
they want it and they will tell you if your to loud or to soft. Most folk shows
will very from the performers, and a rock/pop/etc show will most likely be
around 107db's at the FOH mix position (where the sound man is).

I'm consistently wanting it quieter than many things I hear -- I'm wanting to
know if its me, or if I just need earplugs.

Your ears will adjust to them (the ear plugs) if you use ear plugs regularly.

Hearing damage can occur at sustained 95dB, right?

No, I'm sure its more like 80 db's or higher for an 8 hour day.
Brendan Thompson

"Raymond" wrote in message
No, I'm sure its more like 80 db's or higher for an 8 hour day.

85dB for 8 hours, to be exact.

Peter Larsen

Brendan Thompson wrote:

"Raymond" wrote in message

No, I'm sure its more like 80 db's or higher for an 8 hour day.

85dB for 8 hours, to be exact.

It is not "exact" - it is based on how large a percentage of the
workforce you - or your insurancer - can accept going deaf. It is not so
that 84.9 dB are safe and 85.1 are deafening. Worse: there is no
predictability, hearing damage risks are spread over a window perhaps 20
dB wide, i. e. between "75 dB" and "95 dB". It takes about 30 years to
know the results ... stray loud peaks and pure tones both modify the
risk. D-scale had probably been the best risk predictor due to its HF
boost (opinion, not "fact").

Kind regards

Peter Larsen