Lars

Default AKG C414 EB "reissue" capsules

The new AKG C414EB reissue supposedly has the "famed CK12 capsule from
the C12". Is it really the same capsule?
Jeff Jasper

Lars wrote:

The new AKG C414EB reissue supposedly has the "famed CK12 capsule from
the C12". Is it really the same capsule?

No, it's the new TL-II capsule with the white Teflon ring.

Jeff Jasper
Jeff Jasper Productions, West Funroe, La.
Kurt Albershardt

Lars wrote:

The new AKG C414EB reissue supposedly has the "famed CK12 capsule from
the C12". Is it really the same capsule?

No.

Analogeezer

(Gary Flanigan) wrote in message om...
(Lars) wrote in message . com...
The new AKG C414EB reissue supposedly has the "famed CK12 capsule from
the C12". Is it really the same capsule?

I'll repost what I said a while back, when these "reissues" were announced:

The press release reads in part:

"The C 414-ULS/SE microphones utilize a revamped version of the CK 12
capsule. This particular capsule was also used in AKG's C 12 and C 24
microphones. This remodeled and modern capsule (which is also
currently used in the manufacture of C 12 VR and C 414B-TLII
microphones) features a special accentuation of high frequencies in
the bands around 5 kHz and 10 kHz. The CK 12 capsule enables the C
414-ULS/SE microphone set to record solo vocals or solo instruments
without sounding metallic, harsh, or brittle."

What is a pain is that AKG has continued to call the capsule the CK12,
long after the original brass capsules of that name have been
discontinued. Regardless of the relative merits of the various
iterations, this is confusing at best and an intentional
misrepresentation at worst.

It might be a German/Austrian thing. The Porsche 911 is still called
the 911 even though it has gone two thorough renovations....hell the
new one isn't even air cooled anymore.

I'd guess that CK12 denotes a design type and over the years AKG has
changed the materials and the quality of assembly to lower the cost.

I think the marketing angle is calling it a CK12 capsule plays well to
people that don't realize how different it is from the old ones.

Analogeezer

Ty Ford

In Article ,
(Lars) wrote:
(Ty Ford) wrote in message

Hi Lars,

Just curious, where did you see this advertisement? In the past I've seen
copy that says something like "based on" rather than your more explicit
version.

It's an eBay listing by a dealer, and given that the quoted line is
followed by three exclamation marks, I doubt it's an official
statement from AKG:

Aha! I sent a copy of your earlier post to friends at AKG. It'll be
interesting to see their response.

Regards,

Ty

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Fletcher

"Ty Ford" wrote in message

Aha! I sent a copy of your earlier post to friends at AKG. It'll be
interesting to see their response.

Oh golly... ya know Ty... if any of them gave a flying **** they wouldn't
have let that mic go out as a 'C 414 EB "silver"... [nor would they have
"updated" the capsule on real C 414 EB's that were sent back for repair as
they did in the past].

They took a great microphone and drove it into the ground with both feet for
the last 25 years... I doubt any of them still remember what a great mic
might even sound like.
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Rob Adelman

Ty Ford wrote:

It's an eBay listing by a dealer, and given that the quoted line is
followed by three exclamation marks, I doubt it's an official
statement from AKG:

Aha! I sent a copy of your earlier post to friends at AKG. It'll be
interesting to see their response.

Well instead of saying:

"This is a factory matched set of EB reissues, which feature the famed
CK12 capsule from the C12!!!"

They should have said "from the C12VR", would have been much more
accurate. But it probably is different than the standard BULS, could be
more like the VR which i.m.o. would be a pretty good microphone for
under 1000.

Interesting that the seller said this: "These same mics sold for over
$1799.00 at MARS Music..." since Mars is no longer around to verify that.

-Rob

Rob Adelman

Fletcher wrote:

And Chevrolet has gone through how many incarnations of the Corvette since
the late 50's?

Exactly what I was thinking! And I'll take the vintage model, thank you..

Nathan Eldred

Get a pair of Soundelux U195, the 414's can even come close.

Nathan Eldred
http://www.atlasproaudio.com

(Lars) wrote in message . com...
The new AKG C414EB reissue supposedly has the "famed CK12 capsule from
the C12". Is it really the same capsule?

Luke Kaven

"Fletcher" wrote:

"Ty Ford" wrote

Aha! I sent a copy of your earlier post to friends at AKG. It'll be
interesting to see their response.

Oh golly... ya know Ty... if any of them gave a flying **** they wouldn't
have let that mic go out as a 'C 414 EB "silver"... [nor would they have
"updated" the capsule on real C 414 EB's that were sent back for repair as
they did in the past].

They took a great microphone and drove it into the ground with both feet for
the last 25 years... I doubt any of them still remember what a great mic
might even sound like.

I wonder if anyone has considered legal action against them, for
unauthorized replacement of parts with an inferior substitute?
Geoff Wood

"Luke Kaven" wrote in message

I wonder if anyone has considered legal action against them, for
unauthorized replacement of parts with an inferior substitute?

Surely the Capsule Division of the Mic Police will be pressing charges now
that this 'unauthorised' substitution has been revealed .

geoff

Ty Ford

In Article . net,
"Fletcher" wrote:
"Ty Ford" wrote in message

Aha! I sent a copy of your earlier post to friends at AKG. It'll be
interesting to see their response.

Oh golly... ya know Ty... if any of them gave a flying **** they wouldn't
have let that mic go out as a 'C 414 EB "silver"... [nor would they have
"updated" the capsule on real C 414 EB's that were sent back for repair as
they did in the past].

Gee wiz Fletch, thanks for the update and getting me pithily up to speed! I
guess you're right. I'm sure now that AKG has nothing better to do than try
to decrease its market share by figuring out how to make the 414 sound even
worse.

They took a great microphone and drove it into the ground with both feet for
the last 25 years... I doubt any of them still remember what a great mic
might even sound like.
--
Fletcher

If you ever had a sit-down with Norbert Sobol, you would never make that
comment. Hey, maybe they're ripe for an AKG 414/Mercenary Edition. Pounce on
that! There's my constructive thought for you for today.

Regards,

Ty Ford
**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Ty Ford

In Article , Rob Adelman
wrote:

Ty Ford wrote:

It's an eBay listing by a dealer, and given that the quoted line is
followed by three exclamation marks, I doubt it's an official
statement from AKG:

Aha! I sent a copy of your earlier post to friends at AKG. It'll be
interesting to see their response.

Well instead of saying:

"This is a factory matched set of EB reissues, which feature the famed
CK12 capsule from the C12!!!"

They should have said "from the C12VR", would have been much more
accurate. But it probably is different than the standard BULS, could be
more like the VR which i.m.o. would be a pretty good microphone for
under 1000.

right, but that's a lot of woulda, coulda, shoulda. Hey I like the BULS a
LOT more than I do the TL II (into the right preamp), but that's just me.

Interesting that the seller said this: "These same mics sold for over
$1799.00 at MARS Music..." since Mars is no longer around to verify that.

-Rob

And that's on the seller, not on AKG.

Regards,

Ty Ford

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Ty Ford

In Article , Rob Adelman
wrote:

Fletcher wrote:

And Chevrolet has gone through how many incarnations of the Corvette since
the late 50's?

Exactly what I was thinking! And I'll take the vintage model, thank you..

Um, ever try to change the battery on the earlier model? The "under the
fender" placement made it a royal PITA!

Regards,

Ty

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Ty Ford

In Article , Luke Kaven
wrote:
"Fletcher" wrote:

"Ty Ford" wrote

Aha! I sent a copy of your earlier post to friends at AKG. It'll be
interesting to see their response.

Oh golly... ya know Ty... if any of them gave a flying **** they wouldn't
have let that mic go out as a 'C 414 EB "silver"... [nor would they have
"updated" the capsule on real C 414 EB's that were sent back for repair as
they did in the past].

They took a great microphone and drove it into the ground with both feet for
the last 25 years... I doubt any of them still remember what a great mic
might even sound like.

I wonder if anyone has considered legal action against them, for
unauthorized replacement of parts with an inferior substitute?

Jesus Christ! How long will this tired old rag get tossed around! It has
never been determined in this anecdotal history whether the "bad, original"
capsule was worth repairing or rebuilding.

As close as we can come is to say someone sent one in to get fixed (about 20
years ago) and it came back with another capsule. If the capsule was shot,
as in not capable of being repaired, what else would you do? The worst that
can be claimed is that the owner apparently wasn't contacted about the
specific nature of the problem and AKG's intended solution. How about
indicting the drummer who smacked it into unconsciousness in the first place.

It's really easy to bash manufacturers in newsgroups. They don't always
deserve it.

Regards,

Ty Ford
**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Rob Adelman

Ty Ford wrote:

Um, ever try to change the battery on the earlier model? The "under the
fender" placement made it a royal PITA!

No worse than the battery position on a 1995 Grand Prix, or even worse
on a 1999 Montana. You wouldn't believe...

Rob Adelman

Ty, this DID happen to me. Mid 80's. I don't know if the original was
beyond repair, but they didn't bother to tell me, just replaced it. At
the time I wasn't even aware of the different capsules, so maybe they
were counting on my ignorance?

-Rob

Ty Ford wrote:

[...]

Fletcher

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
In Article
"Fletcher" wrote:

[...]

I would chaulk this up to "urban legend" except I know a guy who had the
capsule in his 'silver' C 414 EB "upgraded" in the mid 80's. When he got
his mic back he noticed that it didn't sound as it should have sounded
before the FET in the mic went south.

He determined that it was definitely the amplifier as he changed head
assemblies in an effort to determine whether the problem was capsule or
amplifier related... if it was a capsule problem he was going to send the
mic to Stephen Paul... an amplifier problem and the mic would be sent back
to AKG... well one problem was fixed, and another caused.

Upon the discovery, he called AKG and complained... and AKG said that it was
*standard proceedure* at that time to "upgrade" all the old style capsules
with new ones. I **** you not.

Upon request, AKG also sent him an original 'brass ringed' CK-12 capsule...
which was rebuilt [the one they sent was indeed dead], and reinstalled into
the microphone. One year, and over a thousand dollars later he had his mic
back.

Now if the guy that this happened to wasn't one of my business partners at
the time I probably wouldn't have believed it either... but he was, and it
happened, and I had to suffer through him ****ing and moaning the whole
****ing time... so I guess I'm going to believe that it's more than an
'urban legend'...

YMMV.
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Analogeezer

Rob Adelman wrote in message ...
Fletcher wrote:

And Chevrolet has gone through how many incarnations of the Corvette since
the late 50's?

Exactly what I was thinking! And I'll take the vintage model, thank you..

I think Fletcher missed the key phrase in my original post...."it
might be an Austrian/German thing".

Nobody said anything about American cars or mics.

Germans tend to keep the same model number but change things over
time...another example; my brother has a BMW K1200RS, which is
substantially different from past models with the same model name.

Yeah it still has a longituidinally placed four cylinder engine, shaft
drive, and two wheels, but probably 90% of the parts are different
from the older K bikes.

Analogeezer
Patric D'Eimon

with unquestioned accuracy of thought, Rob Adelman replied:

Ty Ford wrote:

[...]

This happened to me also. Sent in a 414tl II and got it back with a teflon
ring cap. However, I knew to check it out because they also sent back the
C-12 capsule. It seems like they would be obliged to send the parts back
since it is not their mic.

I've been experimenting with putting the brass ringed C-12 into my 414 EB
(not uls) to see if I can hear a difference. I'm held up by not having the
right itty-bitty connectors to swap it out. I may end up sending it to the
guy in Canada. Can't remeber the name right now.

Anyone know where to get tiny-itty-bitty spade lugs?

PAtric

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Jesus Christ! How long will this tired old rag get tossed around! It has
never been determined in this anecdotal history whether the "bad, original"
capsule was worth repairing or rebuilding.

It is according to Stephen Paul.

And this was to a mic that he owned and sent in for repair? Or was
this a mic that was sent to Stephen after being repaired by AKG and he
told the owner that it no longer had the original capsule? Or does the
story coming from Stephen make it any more true because he works on
microphones?

If the capsule was shot,
as in not capable of being repaired, what else would you do?

In their position? They should provide an *exact* replacement.

But the "exact" part hasn't been made for years and they don't have
any. I guess the alternatives are to replace it with the currently
available part, or not repair it at all. If you were the owner of the
microphone, which would you prefer? To have a working mic or not have
a working mic? Maybe you'd prefer to have a mic with an "origianl"
capsule reworked by Stephen Paul (which would mean it was no longer an
original capsule)? Hey, the original electric igniter for my kitchen
oven hasn't been made for years so I got the "replacement" (which, by
the way, works better than the original - we'll see how long it
lasts).

The worst that
can be claimed is that the owner apparently wasn't contacted about the
specific nature of the problem and AKG's intended solution.

This doesn't seem like a trifle. What if you sent in your Porsche for
a new head gasket and it came back with a Pinto engine?

That's taking things to the extreme. But would you be upset if it came
back with Autolite spark plugs rather than the original Bosch as long
as it ran well?

The real question, and we'll never know the answer, is whether AKG's
diagnosis that the capsule needed replacement was correct. If they
replaced the capsule, then found the bad resistor in the polarizing
circuit, and didn't bother to put the original capsule back to see if
it worked, that would be poor service. But presumably they were more
competent than that.

Let's face it - the most important thing a C414 has going for it is
the name on the case. The next most important thing is the sound, and
anyone who cares about the sound will understand that they all sound a
little different, and the older ones sound more different from each
other than the newer ones. If the person who had his mic returned to
working condition by having the capsule replaced could always sell it
if he didn't like the way it sounded. He probably couldn't do that if
it wasn't working.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Rob Adelman

Mike Rivers wrote:

If the person who had his mic returned to
working condition by having the capsule replaced could always sell it
if he didn't like the way it sounded. He probably couldn't do that if
it wasn't working.

But now a days they sell for more money if they have a brass ring
capsule. People know about this.

The thing about AKG replacing the capsule with the newer one is that may
be acceptable but they should have told the customer before just doing
it. I'm sure they didn't throw the "old" capsule away. And they didn't
return it to me with my repaired microphone. So this wasn't right.

Geoff Wood

"Luke Kaven" wrote in message

This doesn't seem like a trifle. What if you sent in your Porsche for
a new head gasket and it came back with a Pinto engine? [Actually,
the Pinto engines weren't so bad, in the form of the 2.3 EFI Turbo,
but still, not a Porsche.]

What say you authorised Porsche to fix your car - the engine was totally
shot , so they replaced it with the only one available, the latest engine.
Maybe even 'new and improved'. The alternative is 'no engine'.

There was no suggestion that in this instance they replavced the capsule
with a C1000 one ....

geoff

Geoff Wood

"Rob Adelman" wrote in message

The thing about AKG replacing the capsule with the newer one is that may
be acceptable but they should have told the customer before just doing
it. I'm sure they didn't throw the "old" capsule away. And they didn't
return it to me with my repaired microphone. So this wasn't right.

Did you ask them to ?

geoff

Geoff Wood

"Patric D'Eimon" wrote in message news:BBFC8466.9D62%

This happened to me also. Sent in a 414tl II and got it back with a

teflon
ring cap. However, I knew to check it out because they also sent back the
C-12 capsule. It seems like they would be obliged to send the parts back
since it is not their mic.

I repair mics (incl AKG) . I don't send broken bits back unless specifically
requested. It is generally a recipe for confusion and dissatisfaction. If
you are commissioned to repair the mic, you have been given implicit
authority to do what it takes.

In the case of high value parts such as the formentioned capsule, it may be
polite to check ....

geoff

Geoff Wood

"Analogeezer" wrote in message

FWIW, the Corvette is still the same type of car (front engine,
rear-wheel drive, water cooled, leaf spring independent rear
suspension), the 911 isn't...but you knew that didn't you?

In this case it is a pity that the necessary improvements (ie handling) have
not been significantly reworked.....

geoff

Rob Adelman

Geoff Wood wrote:
"Rob Adelman" wrote in message

The thing about AKG replacing the capsule with the newer one is that may
be acceptable but they should have told the customer before just doing
it. I'm sure they didn't throw the "old" capsule away. And they didn't
return it to me with my repaired microphone. So this wasn't right.

Did you ask them to ?

Kind of difficult since it was at least 10 years before I even knew the
capsule was replaced.

Bob Olhsson

In article . net,
Fletcher wrote:

I would chaulk this up to "urban legend" except I know a guy who had the
capsule in his 'silver' C 414 EB "upgraded" in the mid 80's.

I know of a few people it also happened to. I think the guy who runs
Banjo Bazaar today was running AKG at the time.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN 615.385.8051
http://www.hyperback.com/olhsson.html