What Does "XLR" Mean? -- Official Answer

Old November 17th 03, 02:04 PM
Dave Turner

Default What Does "XLR" Mean? -- Official Answer

Al Gershen wrote:

> I've searched over the Internet and I haven't been able to find a
> defination for what the letters "XLR" mean.
>
> Can you help me?

Dear Group,

This topic doesn't seem to have arisen for quite a while, but I was asked
this recently and did a bit of digging on usenet. Not trusting what I heard
(there were a whole load of different answers, all claiming to be
authoritative), I asked Cannon/ITT what the acronym XLR stands for and they
replied with the following:

Old November 17th 03, 05:03 PM
William Sommerwerck

My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that the LR part stands for "locking
receptacle."

Old November 17th 03, 05:34 PM
George Gleason

"Dave Turner" > wrote in message
> Al Gershen wrote:
>
> > I've searched over the Internet and I haven't been able to find a
> > defination for what the letters "XLR" mean.
> >
> > Can you help me?

My GUESS is that it was part of a mil spec part number that became common
George

---

Old November 17th 03, 06:09 PM
Ted Spencer

Maybe I just dreamed this up but I thought X meant Ground, L meant Left and R
meant Right, corresponding to the three pins in an XLR connector. Works for me,
anyway.

Ted Spencer, NYC

"No amount of classical training will ever teach you what's so cool about
"Tighten Up" by Archie Bell And The Drells" -author unknown
Old November 17th 03, 06:45 PM
aJax

Ted Spencer wrote:

> Maybe I just dreamed this up but I thought X meant Ground, L meant Left and R
> meant Right, corresponding to the three pins in an XLR connector. Works for me,
> anyway.
>

> Ted Spencer, NYC
>
> "No amount of classical training will ever teach you what's so cool about
> "Tighten Up" by Archie Bell And The Drells" -author unknown

You know, that's so crazy it just might work :-)

Old November 17th 03, 08:10 PM
Terry King

I was working in Broadcast when "XLR's" came out. I don't recall any
reason for the designation.

As I recall, they first appeared on non-broadcast mikes from
Electrovoice and Shure as a better smaller answer than the abominable
screw-on cheapos previously used. The EV654 was the first mike I had
with XLR built into the case. Still have it. It's not good for much!

The 'standard' in the 40's was (As I recall) The "M" round 3-pin
connector about 1 inch in diameter, as seen on the old RCA OP4, OP6 and
OP7 Remote Amplifiers. The Gates elcheapos had the screw-on type. (What
the heck were those called??) I have and old OP-4 and a Gates remote
amplifier.

In the 50's the 'new standard' was the "D" shaped Cannon "UA" with gold
plated pins. It has a real positive locking mechanism. The first piece
of gear I ever bought with them new-fangled Transistors in it was a
Collins remote amplifier. It came with "UA" type connectoirs, and by
1960 we had lots of cables with male UA on one end, that plugged into
the Collins, and out in-the-studio-wall mike connectors. The other end
was female XLR for the 'cheap mikes'. The 'Good Mikes' like RCA 77DX's,
had their own cable connected inside the mike case, like It Should Be.
RCA didn't change that when the BK-5 and BK-5B mikes came out in the
60's. So you had to put your own connector on the cable end of a new
RCA mike.

Jeez, who the heck wanted to know about this?? Sorry...
Old November 17th 03, 10:11 PM
Denny F

X-L-R
1-2-3
Ground-lead-return

I may have dreamed this.

Denny Fohringer
Itinerant guitarist
Lessons and music:
http://surf.to/dennyf
Bands:
http://bluepearlband.com http://doubletakeband.com

Old November 17th 03, 11:27 PM
Tommi

XLR stands for eXtra Large Receptable. Hasn't anyone heard this before?