My PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL Review Posted

Old March 12th 12, 01:32 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Default My PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL Review Posted

My review of the PreSonus 44VSL 4x4 USB 2.0 audio interface
is up. the Product Reviews section of my web page

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com/product-reviews/

Or if you have short attention span, download the PDF
directly he
http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpre...mikerivers.pdf

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Old March 12th 12, 03:48 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Monday, March 12, 2012 9:32:32 AM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
> My review of the PreSonus 44VSL 4x4 USB 2.0 audio interface
> is up. the Product Reviews section of my web page
> http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com/product-reviews/

Nice review Mike. I actually need a 4-in USB interface, but I do NOT need preamps or even basic mixing facilities. Does anyone make such a thing for a reasonable price? If so, I can't find one.

--Ethan
Old March 12th 12, 03:50 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King

"Mike Rivers" > wrote in message
> My review of the PreSonus 44VSL 4x4 USB 2.0 audio interface is up. the
> Product Reviews section of my web page
>
> http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com/product-reviews/
>
> Or if you have short attention span, download the PDF directly he
> http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpre...mikerivers.pdf
>

> --
> "Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without a
> passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated
> without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson
>
> http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com - useful and interesting audio stuff

Really interesting and thorough review. Thanks, Mike.

Steve King

Old March 12th 12, 10:21 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

On 3/12/2012 11:48 AM, wrote:

> Nice review Mike. I actually need a 4-in USB interface,
> but I do NOT need preamps or even basic mixing
> facilities. Does anyone make such a thing for a
> reasonable price? If so, I can't find one.

I don't think I've ever seen one without mic preamps. They
pretty much have to build a mic preamp anyway in order to
offer a differential input, so why not advertise it as such?
You really aren't paying anything extra for the mic
preamps except maybe a couple of dollars for the combo
connectors.

You might want to take a look at the Focusrite 8i6 (there's
a review of it on my web page also). It's a little simpler,
2 mic inputs on the front panel that can also be real line
inputs or instrument DI inputs, and 2 real line inputs on
the back. 4 outputs on the back, though two, if I remember
are shared with the headphone outputs. If what you want is 4
line inputs, it's better in this regard than the PreSonus in
that all four 1/4" jacks can be real differential line
inputs, as opposed to two of them (Instrument inputs0 on the
44VSL that are for all intents and purposes for unbalanced
sources.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Old March 13th 12, 03:49 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler

On Mar 12, 5:21*pm, Mike Rivers > wrote:
> On 3/12/2012 11:48 AM, wrote:
>
> > Nice review Mike. I actually need a 4-in USB interface,
> > but I do NOT need preamps or even basic mixing
> > facilities. Does anyone make such a thing for a
> > reasonable price? If so, I can't find one.

MOTU makes a couple with two mic preamps and four or six line-only
inputs.

Peace,
Paul
Old March 13th 12, 02:58 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Monday, March 12, 2012 6:21:16 PM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
> You might want to take a look at the Focusrite 8i6

LOL, great minds think alike. That's exactly what I bought yesterday just before you posted this.

As an aside, a few weeks ago I got a call from my (long ago) past sales rep at Swee****er asking if he could be of any assistance. I told him I almost never buy audio gear because I already have everything I need. Then a few days ago I realized I really do need a more professional interface. So yesterday after posting I called the rep to ask his advice, and that's what he suggested as the best value. I looked at the product info and agreed, and bought it.

--Ethan
Old March 13th 12, 04:54 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

On 3/13/2012 10:58 AM, wrote:
> On Monday, March 12, 2012 6:21:16 PM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
>> You might want to take a look at the Focusrite 8i6

> LOL, great minds think alike. That's exactly what I bought yesterday just before you posted this. [Focusrite 8i6]

Well I hope we gave you good advice. I think it's one of the
better overall designs for this sort of box. I was debating
getting the 18i6 thinking that some day I might want to take
along my Mackie 800R (8 channel preamp with ADAT Optical
output among others) for a larger session than straight
stereo recording.

Although it isn't what either of us need, I'm going to try
to get my hands on one of the M-Audio C600 Fast Track
interfaces. It seems to have a lot of the capability of the
PreSonus but it has an assortment of different GUI displays.
The full display takes up the whole screen but they had pity
on folks like me with low resolution monitors and have
reduced versions, just a basic mixer, and just a meter
bridge, so there's plenty of room to keep the DAW on the
screen where you need it. Plus it has transport control
buttons, so you may not need to get to the DAW as often
during tracking.

I don't know who my friendly M-Audio marketing rep is any
more, but if you're out there lurking, get in touch.

> --Ethan

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Old March 13th 12, 10:34 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Mann

Thanks for the review, Mike.

Two questions:
- do these interfaces work with Linux (prefer Sapphire, but Presonus OK)?

- did you happen to notice the internal voltages of the Preamps (or the
chip #'s on the preamps?). A lot of these circuits use NE5532
variants, but seem to run them at very low voltages (eg., my old
Edirol UA5 uses jrc4590 preamps at +/-5V, while a very old Maudio Duo
uses +/-12V and INA163 instrument amps. A big different in quality.
This has in fact spawned a "hacker" community amoung concert tapers

Thanks again,
Richard
Old March 14th 12, 03:39 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

On 3/13/2012 6:34 PM, Richard Mann wrote:

> - do these interfaces work with Linux (prefer Sapphire, but Presonus OK)?

Not unless someone has written Linux drivers for them. Good
luck there. It's a rare new audio interface that gets the
attention of the folks writing Linux drivers, probably
because the manufacturers aren't willing to share enough
documentation with them to get them started. I guess they
feel that sales to Linux users just aren't going to ever be
great enough to let information that they consider
proprietary out of the barn.

> - did you happen to notice the internal voltages of the Preamps (or the
> chip #'s on the preamps?).

I didn't have a schematic (hell, they don't even publish a
block diagram) but from inspection, it looks like there are
transistors up front and half of an MC33079 quad op amp at
the end. The 33079 is running on +/- 13.5V. I didn't probe
the transistors but given that it takes about 11 Vpp before
anything starts clipping, I doubt that this is a "low
voltage" circuit. I didn't see or hear any reason to try to
hack it.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Old March 15th 12, 04:30 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Jason[_14_]

> PreSonus but it has an assortment of different GUI displays.
> The full display takes up the whole screen but they had pity
> on folks like me with low resolution monitors and have
> reduced versions, just a basic mixer, and just a meter
> bridge, so there's plenty of room to keep the DAW on the
> screen where you need it.

Have you considered adding a second display? Most of the graphics cards
support two now. I added an inexpensive ($150) Dell 15" LCD to go with my
expensive EIZO primary one. (It's color-accurate and can be calibrated
with its spyder, which I need for the photo work I do - hence the price.)
The secondary Dell is crisp at 1024x768 - I have no requirement for color
accuracy. I rotate it 90 degrees (portrait mode) and park some of
Audition's (and Photoshop's) windows on it. Windoze has a variety of
options for how to deal with multiple screens.

Jason