Posted to rec.audio.pro
Leo Andrews[_2_] Leo Andrews[_2_] is offline

Default Symetrix 528E vs dbx 286A

Hi everyone,

It's been a few years since I was last on the newsgroup!

I've got a question for you all. My voice channel currently consists of
an AT 4033 microphone plugged in to a dbx 284A processor. Largely
speaking it's pretty good but I was thinking of upgrading to the
Symetrix 528E.

Price-wise it's a big jump but what does everyone think of it? I've read
reports that the 528E is not a lot better than the dbx box I already
have. I find that hard to believe. Apparently the old 528 had better
pre-amps than the newer 528E.

Has anyone had experience of either of this voice processors? I'd be
interested to hear your thoughts

Leo.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 17:30:45 -0500, Leo Andrews wrote
(in article ):

Hi everyone,

It's been a few years since I was last on the newsgroup!

I've got a question for you all. My voice channel currently consists of
an AT 4033 microphone plugged in to a dbx 284A processor. Largely
speaking it's pretty good but I was thinking of upgrading to the
Symetrix 528E.

Price-wise it's a big jump but what does everyone think of it? I've read
reports that the 528E is not a lot better than the dbx box I already
have. I find that hard to believe. Apparently the old 528 had better
pre-amps than the newer 528E.

Has anyone had experience of either of this voice processors? I'd be
interested to hear your thoughts

Leo.

get the dbx 286a

Regards,

TY FORD

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Leo Andrews leo.andrews@NOSPAM wrote:

I've got a question for you all. My voice channel currently consists of
an AT 4033 microphone plugged in to a dbx 284A processor. Largely
speaking it's pretty good but I was thinking of upgrading to the
Symetrix 528E.

Call BSW, ask them to loan you a 528E for a week to audition it. Give it
a try on your voice and see what you like.

Price-wise it's a big jump but what does everyone think of it? I've read
reports that the 528E is not a lot better than the dbx box I already
have. I find that hard to believe.

Why? Personally, I am not a fan of all-in-one boxes but as all-in-one boxes
go, all of these are reasonable if you aren't trying to do something crazy
and aggressive.

Apparently the old 528 had better
pre-amps than the newer 528E.

Symetrix fell victim to the same problem the rest of the industry did... AD
discontinued the SSM2015 and SSM2016 mike preamp chips, in favor of the
SSM2017 which didn't sound as good. That's the bad part.

The good part is that THAT makes a pin-compatible upgrade for the SSM2017
which sounds great. Eight solder joints and you're good to go.

Has anyone had experience of either of this voice processors? I'd be
interested to hear your thoughts

I don't have any serious experience with any of the all-in-one devices
other than the old 528. It was fine. I doubt it's any more fine than the
dbx, but try the 528E and decide for yourself.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

On Feb 27, 4:30*pm, Leo Andrews leo.andrews@NOSPAM wrote:
Price-wise it's a big jump but what does everyone think of it? I've read
reports that the 528E is not a lot better than the dbx box I already
have. I find that hard to believe. Apparently the old 528 had better
pre-amps than the newer 528E.

Has anyone had experience of either of this voice processors? I'd be
interested to hear your thoughts

I'd have no hesitation to recommend the "old 528",
not being that familiar with the 528E.
I'd also say that the Rane VP12 is comparable to the 528.
They're both discontinued though.

rd
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

RD Jones wrote:

On Feb 27, 4:30 pm, Leo Andrews leo.andrews@NOSPAM wrote:
Price-wise it's a big jump but what does everyone think of it? I've read
reports that the 528E is not a lot better than the dbx box I already
have. I find that hard to believe. Apparently the old 528 had better
pre-amps than the newer 528E.

Has anyone had experience of either of this voice processors? I'd be
interested to hear your thoughts

I'd have no hesitation to recommend the "old 528",
not being that familiar with the 528E.
I'd also say that the Rane VP12 is comparable to the 528.
They're both discontinued though.

rd

From a different angle, given the power of DAW EQ and dynamics control,
why not track into 24/whatever, leaving "too much", (i.e., circa 20 to
12 dB) of headroom and season to taste while mixing?

If one seeks to have a badass chain built of old-school kit, like an
API/Neve/Great River mic pre and EQ into a real LA-2, why screw around
with a mediocre, if decent for the money, chain when the digital realm
can slay the results of mediocre analog?

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Leo Andrews[_2_] Leo Andrews[_2_] is offline

From a different angle, given the power of DAW EQ and dynamics control,
why not track into 24/whatever, leaving "too much", (i.e., circa 20 to
12 dB) of headroom and season to taste while mixing?

A good approaching for studio/performance recording but unsuitable for
live presentation in a radio broadcast situation.

We'll still with the dbx I reckon!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:10:04 -0400, Leo Andrews wrote
(in article ):

From a different angle, given the power of DAW EQ and dynamics control,
why not track into 24/whatever, leaving "too much", (i.e., circa 20 to
12 dB) of headroom and season to taste while mixing?

A good approaching for studio/performance recording but unsuitable for
live presentation in a radio broadcast situation.

We'll still with the dbx I reckon!

good choice.

WTB: Symetrix 528e Doug Marketplace 0 July 2nd 04 12:52 AM
WTB: Symetrix 528e Doug Marketplace 0 July 2nd 04 12:52 AM
WTB: Symetrix 528e Doug Pro Audio 0 July 1st 04 11:33 PM
FS: Symetrix 528E audio processor... Mike Marketplace 0 December 8th 03 05:04 AM
Symetrix 528E - different versions? John L Rice Pro Audio 0 July 27th 03 08:41 PM