Nellie

Default Problem with Technics tape deck , any ideas?

Hi,
I have a technics tape deck hooked up to my system, and a large job to
do, at least 15 tapes to copy. I put the first one in and the
recording side just stopped about 5 minutes into the job. These are 90
minute tapes. My guess is that the bands that drive the reels are
wearing out, must be from age because I dont use them often. One way I
solved this problem years before on a boom box, was to get it open,
and spray some stuff I found on it which claimed to revitalize rubber.
My questions is, where would I find this stuff, the other time I had
just found some in a garage.
Also, if anyone thinks there might be another problem or solution let
me know. Thanks.
Scott Dorsey

Nellie wrote:
I have a technics tape deck hooked up to my system, and a large job to
do, at least 15 tapes to copy. I put the first one in and the
recording side just stopped about 5 minutes into the job. These are 90
minute tapes. My guess is that the bands that drive the reels are
wearing out, must be from age because I dont use them often. One way I
solved this problem years before on a boom box, was to get it open,
and spray some stuff I found on it which claimed to revitalize rubber.
My questions is, where would I find this stuff, the other time I had
just found some in a garage.

First make sure you don't have sticky shed syndrome.

THEN replace whatever belts are in the machine, AND the pinch roller.
These things need regular replacement. I find about five years is
about the expected life of a urethane pinch roller.

Dan Ash

Nellie wrote:

Hi,
I have a technics tape deck hooked up to my system, and a large job to
do, at least 15 tapes to copy. I put the first one in and the
recording side just stopped about 5 minutes into the job. These are 90
minute tapes. My guess is that the bands that drive the reels are
wearing out, must be from age because I dont use them often. One way I
solved this problem years before on a boom box, was to get it open,
and spray some stuff I found on it which claimed to revitalize rubber.
My questions is, where would I find this stuff, the other time I had
just found some in a garage.
Also, if anyone thinks there might be another problem or solution let
me know. Thanks.

Info on Rotel tape deck RT-400? Serban Andrei Dumitrescu Audio Opinions 0 May 11th 04 09:54 AM
getting a tape deck to "eat" head cleaner? Dave Smey Car Audio 1 January 7th 04 03:51 PM
Old Sony tape deck constant turning tape over Peter Doherty Car Audio 3 October 8th 03 06:21 AM
Tape Problem Geoley Pro Audio 4 August 9th 03 07:45 PM
Technics SL1210 M3D turntable problem... Strutter General 1 July 13th 03 08:55 PM