How in the hell do you mic a bagpipe???

Old September 12th 03, 07:16 PM
Rob B

Default How in the hell do you mic a bagpipe???

I have played pipes for about 35 years and also play small pipes and
Uillean somewhat, and own a studio that has recorded quite a few
players. If your recording is going to be solo pipes, probably 2 mics
would be the best. One about 3 - 4 feet in front about chanter height,
and one about 8 feet up and 8 feet back behind the player. This will
give you some chanter/drone balance choices. If it is with other
instruments, just the chanter mic. I have good luck with a Dragonfly
into a Great River MP2NV. Don't use any compression, the volume
difference on the chanter from top to bottom will make the drones pump
wildly.
My 2 cents anyway!
Rob
Old September 12th 03, 08:01 PM
EganMedia

It depends on the pipes, player, and desired sound. For Highland pipes I often
like to cheat and record as section of drones alone and overdub the chanter.
It lets you fuss wih tuning more and offers more flexibility in the mix. I've
also had good luck using an omni above and behind the drones and a full-bodied
sounding large diaphragm condenser on the chanter. Regardless, they'll still
sound like bagpipes. You can't do much about that.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Old September 12th 03, 08:14 PM
Steve Holt

EganMedia" > wrote in message
> It depends on the pipes, player, and desired sound. For Highland pipes I

often
> like to cheat and record as section of drones alone and overdub the

chanter.
> It lets you fuss wih tuning more and offers more flexibility in the mix.

I've
> also had good luck using an omni above and behind the drones and a

full-bodied
> sounding large diaphragm condenser on the chanter. Regardless, they'll

still
> sound like bagpipes. You can't do much about that.

Ever hear the soundtrack from "Braveheart"? Those pipes sound AMAZING. How
did they do it?

Steve Holt
INNER MUSIC
Music Creation & Production
http://www.inner-music.com
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/steveholt

Old September 12th 03, 08:19 PM
William Sommerwerck

There is a PDQ Bach work that uses both lute and bagpipe. Friendly Professor
Peter Schickele points out that merely having the bagpipe in the same room as
the lute renders the lute inaudible -- even when the bagpipe _isn't_ playing.

The idea of miking a bagpipe is Just Too Weird.

Old September 12th 03, 08:32 PM
Rob Adelman

Steve Holt wrote:

> Ever hear the soundtrack from "Braveheart"? Those pipes sound AMAZING. How
> did they do it?

90 db pad on the microphone ;-I

Old September 12th 03, 10:13 PM
John Halliburton

> For war pipes -- yeah, record the room. And stay the hell out. I once

recorded
> a band with 8 pipers and 3 drummers. It was louder than the time I saw the

Who.

Ballroom. Evening party for the Highland Games, and the winning bands in
each category march in and play-one band at a time, thank goodness.

I've had to mic warpipes for PA, and usually a pair of mics, one floating
above the drones, and one off the front of the chanter, as far back as the
system can tolerate.

I've had very good luck with Uilean pipes by just one condensor off in
front, typically a foot or so.

Best regards,

John Halliburton

Old September 12th 03, 10:15 PM
Ted Spencer

The last time I recorded a full size bagpipe I put a U87 about 4 feet behind
the player. It took the edge off the sound and worked quite nicely. The smaller
Uiliean (sp?) ones can be miked frontally prett well, but off axis and at least
4-6 feet away.
Ted Spencer, NYC

"No amount of classical training will ever teach you what's so cool about
"Tighten Up" by Archie Bell And The Drells" -author unknown
Old September 12th 03, 11:22 PM
Les Cargill

"Ryan Richards (Diesel Breath)" wrote:

> ???

"Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation." - the Duke.

--
Les Cargill
Old September 13th 03, 12:53 AM
George Gleason

"Ryan Richards (Diesel Breath)" > wrote in message
> ???

depends are you recording or doing live sound
if your recording I would take a omni to it
if your doing live the melody of the pipe come out the chanter

thisis where the fingers are

the drones that stick over thier heads generally do not need mics for live
reinforcment

I just finished a 2 cd set of the pipe and drum competetion at the CNY
scottish game
and would be happy to send it out to any real pipe and drum competition
fans
\NO CLASS 1 Bands
classes 2-5 only
the recording was made with two neumann 184s in a xy position and a 103
between them elevated about 10 feet over the compition circle
and about 20 feet away(I was not allowed to put mics on the 'feild"

also Have the massing of bands
and the sound of rain falling on the plastic bag I had to cover the mics
with 2/3 of the way through the show
Peace
george

Old September 13th 03, 01:01 AM
George Gleason

> I don't know anything about the Galician pipes, really, but if certain

people
> would show up to their gigs on time I might learn something about them

rather
> than sticking them in front of a 57.

I just finished a Tour with the "old blind Dogs" as for live
Rory had a set of Galician pipes called a Gaita
and live a m88 at the chanter worked just fine
the hard part was balancing the galician pipes against Malcoms(bare flesh)
finger picked guitar
against the throbbing Djembe
and a fiddle
Fun stuff

Rory also played various big and small whistles some of which he processed
with a wah wah
you think you got your monitors all rung out then he sweeps the long
sustained tone on the whistle
with the Wah
I am definitly a beeter engineer now than I was before the tour
LOL
George