Carey Carlan

Default RAP5/5/12 Kirby Rochester "Tongue of the Fatman"

This is a bad recording.

And I think Kirby's kind of proud of that.

Once upon a time when dinosaurs roamed the earth a budding AE friend of
mine came over and we combined gear to make a recording of his "band" on a
4 track cassette recorder. He went on to own his own studio and make a
living at recording, but at the time we were both pretty ignorant. I think
our recording was about this good.

Kirby, you confound me. 6 mics and "no preamps"? "no mixer"? How did
those channels get to the stereo recording?

Behind that horrendous amount of distortion and lost bass/treble, there's a
decent song trying to emerge. You have a decent balance of vocals,
instruments, and percussion--excellent for a single pass recording.

With some decent gear, this might work, but don't quit your day job.
Scott Dorsey

Carey Carlan wrote:

Kirby, you confound me. 6 mics and "no preamps"? "no mixer"? How did
those channels get to the stereo recording?

Some guesses:

1. Y-cables

2. Headphone splitter boxes used in reverse.

3. Something similarly alarming.

KirbyRochester

This is a bad recording.

And I think Kirby's kind of proud of that.

Scrappy playing, scrappy recording, all penis! Yeah I'm proud baby. You
see if it doesn't sound scrappy then it won't have any "indie credibility". Get
with the times man!

Kirby, you confound me. 6 mics and "no preamps"? "no mixer"? How did
those channels get to the stereo recording?

Hey, strap enough gain pots and y-cords together and you got yourself a
"mixer" of sorts! The added bonus is copius amounts of high frequency
distortion on everything!

Behind that horrendous amount of distortion and lost bass/treble

Did someone screw up the tranfser? Distortion... yes! I passed the mix
through at least 4 conversion stages just to get more crud and harsh harmonics
while adding a couple tiny parts. But the overall EQ is a smiley curve,
although considering the signal chain, the extreme top and bottom must have
been lopped off! This serves to "focus" the sound, removing extraneous
information that could distract the listener! It's the next step after dynamic
compression, it's spectral compression! If we chop off the extremes we can make
what's left LOUDER!

there's a
decent song trying to emerge.

For some unfathomable reason alot of young people absolutely love this
song. You and I are probably too old to understand these yung-uns and their
newfangled electrique geetars! I would be turning in my grave if I were dead!
^_^

You have a decent balance of vocals,
instruments, and percussion--excellent for a single pass recording.

The balance was coming out too good for a single-pass recording so I took
it to the next level to make sure there was enough harsh harmonic distortion on
the hi-hat! Otherwise it just doesn't have that "punch"!

With some decent gear, this might work, but don't quit your day job.

Wait'll you hear what I did to the 2nd movement of Beethovens 3rd! Picture
the scene: A concrete basement, a euphonium consort, a special euphonium,
ophelcide and basset horn arrangement of B's 3rd all under a intermittent
flourescent flicker... in walks... KIRBY ROCHESTER with nothing more than a
wax-cylinder, duct tape and a broom handle! This is the stuff of legend.

P.S.
Snare drums are SUPPOSED to sound like trash-can lids! ^_^

LeBaron & Alrich

Harvey Gerst wrote:

(KirbyRochester) wrote:
P.S.
Snare drums are SUPPOSED to sound like trash-can lids! ^_^

No, China Boy cymbals are supposed to sound like trash can lids.

Trashcan lids are lots cheaper.

--
ha

Roger W. Norman

Why not, that's what the kids on the streets of DC use! g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio