Yamaha NS 10 Amp?

Old August 20th 03, 11:10 PM
trev

Default Yamaha NS 10 Amp?

Hey everybody!
What would be the best amplifier to use with the NS 10's.
I don't want to spend any more than $300. I have a 001, Mackie 1402
mixer, the NS 10's and a 733MHz G4.

Can somebody give me some advice on my situation?

Thanks
Trevor
Old August 20th 03, 11:34 PM

trev > wrote:
>Hey everybody!
>What would be the best amplifier to use with the NS 10's.
>I don't want to spend any more than $300. I have a 001, Mackie 1402
>mixer, the NS 10's and a 733MHz G4.
>
>Can somebody give me some advice on my situation?

When the NS-10 was the popular monitor, a lot of folks used the Crown D-60.
The mushy top end on the D-60 helps take some of the NS-10 screechiness.
Old August 21st 03, 03:36 AM
Caddell M

>What would be the best amplifier to use with the NS 10's.

Several years ago when I posted the same question, Fletcher pointed me towards
Yamaha amps, and I found it to be a good match (though I don't use that
monitoring chain much anymore since moving on to 824's.)
Mark Caddell
Boston
Old August 21st 03, 10:36 AM
david

In article >, Scott Dorsey
> wrote:

> trev > wrote:
> >Hey everybody!
> >What would be the best amplifier to use with the NS 10's.
> >I don't want to spend any more than $300. I have a 001, Mackie 1402
> >mixer, the NS 10's and a 733MHz G4.
> >
> >Can somebody give me some advice on my situation?

> When the NS-10 was the popular monitor, a lot of folks used the Crown D-60.
> The mushy top end on the D-60 helps take some of the NS-10 screechiness.
> --scott
> --

When?? Gezz Scott I thought we already went thru this. It still *is* a
very popular monitor. Call up any commercial facility charging more
than peanuts per hour and ask it they have ns-10's. They do. And they
aren't in the forgotten storage closet covered in dust.

And see what they go for on ebay. (Maybe I'll be able to retire in 10
years just by selling the 3 pairs I got. ;>) I know people that want to
buy them but won't shell out the ebay bucks. If Yammy had a brain they
would reissue them. I don't know anyone who believed that line about
the scarce wood for making the woofer. You can still buy replacement
woofers from Yammy ...

Not that you can buy the amp legally for $300, but our ns-10's are
powered by a Bryston 4b and they mate very well. Last week on ebay a 4b
sold for $550, which is a great deal. It's a wonderful amp with a great
warranty.

And I would def recommend a lot more power for this speaker than a
D-60. (I think the 4b's are 250 per side.)

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
Old August 21st 03, 10:59 AM
news.verizon.net

I use an Alesis RA-100 to power mine. Perfect!!! They won't hurt each
other...

om...

Old August 21st 03, 06:23 PM
Fill X

i think the older 4b is better with a bright monitor. The ST seems a little
harsh and the one in the middle (the NRB) just didn't sound as good as either
model to me.

I hafler 500 would be a reasonable ebay pick-up and a decent match.

P h i l i p

______________________________

"I'm too ****ing busy and vice-versa"

- Dorothy Parker

Old August 21st 03, 11:24 PM
John LeBlanc

"david" > wrote in message

> If Yammy had a brain they would reissue them.

They'd likely make the same stupid mistake so many other manufacturers are
making: offering a monitor "more accurate" than an NS10.

John

Old August 22nd 03, 11:31 PM
trev

So, can anyone tell me some specific Yamaha amps to consider.
Peace out.
Trevor

Yamaha RX-V1300 Receiever; Highest volume=zero? Brad Behm Audio Opinions 1 February 23rd 04 06:08 PM
yamaha HTIB system vs Pioneer,toshiba,panasonic etc SS Audio Opinions 1 February 18th 04 05:34 PM
Yamaha vs. Onkyo Shashi General 11 December 4th 03 07:02 PM
What brand of low end receiver to go with (Yamaha, Sony, etc) MarkW General 1 September 15th 03 12:10 PM
Yamaha MG 10/2 mixer vs. similar Behringer and Alesis 8-10 channel mixers dnrg Pro Audio 2 August 12th 03 12:59 AM