qIroS

Default Strange problem with Behringer mixer

I've recently purchased a Behringer UB1204FX mixer for recording and
live work and I seem to have a strange problem with it.

If I connect the line out from my computer (SB Live) to one of the
stereo input (using 3.5mm to 2x1/4" jacks), it works fine for about
two minutes or so then the audio on that channel (left and right)
descends into a crackling mess. Unplugging and replugging the audio
leads at the mixer end cleans up the audio for another couple of
minutes.

Thinking there to be a problem with the mixer, I connected an external
MIDI box to the same mixer inputs, and this works fine continuously
for as long as I want.

Could there be some kind of wierd interaction between the mixer inputs
and the soundcard outputs? Anyone encountered this sort of thing
before?
Preben Friis

"qIroS" wrote in message
om...
I've recently purchased a Behringer UB1204FX mixer for recording and
live work and I seem to have a strange problem with it.

If I connect the line out from my computer (SB Live) to one of the
stereo input (using 3.5mm to 2x1/4" jacks), it works fine for about
two minutes or so then the audio on that channel (left and right)
descends into a crackling mess. Unplugging and replugging the audio
leads at the mixer end cleans up the audio for another couple of
minutes.

My guess will be, that it is a bad connection in the 3.5mm. jack. Try to
wiggle it when the problem is there. The undplugging and replugging in the
mixer end might pull the cable enough to influence the jack in the
soundcard.

/Preben Friis

qIroS

"Mike Faithfull" wrote in message ...

Sounds like the problem is with your soundcard, not the mixer. Can you
'bypass' the mixer and take the soundcard output direct to something else -
a cassette or minidisc recorder, for example?

Yes the soundcard works fine when plugged directly to the line in on
an amp. I should have mentioned that the mixer channel has a high/low
gain button on it, and if this is toggled whilst the problem is
happening, the problem goes away for another couple of minutes. Which
might suggest a problem with the mixer. Were it not for the fact that
other sources behave fine when plugged into this channel.

The mixer details are he
http://www.behringer.com/02_products...204FX&lang=eng
qIroS

"Preben Friis" wrote in message . dk...

My guess will be, that it is a bad connection in the 3.5mm. jack. Try to
wiggle it when the problem is there. The undplugging and replugging in the
mixer end might pull the cable enough to influence the jack in the
soundcard.

/Preben Friis

I don't think it's a wobbly connection issue. I should have mentioned
that the mixer channel has a high/low gain button on it, and if this
is toggled whilst the problem is happening, the problem goes away for
another couple of minutes without disturbing the cabling at all. Which
might suggest a problem with the mixer. Were it not for the fact that
other sources behave fine when plugged into this channel.

The mixer details are he
http://www.behringer.com/02_products...204FX&lang=eng
Laurence Payne

I don't think it's a wobbly connection issue. I should have mentioned
that the mixer channel has a high/low gain button on it, and if this
is toggled whilst the problem is happening, the problem goes away for
another couple of minutes without disturbing the cabling at all. Which
might suggest a problem with the mixer. Were it not for the fact that
other sources behave fine when plugged into this channel.

I think there's a bad capacitor or a dry solder joint in there
somewhere. The mixer's quite new? Get it swapped.

jazzman

Are you using the 'Line Out' or the Speaker Out into the mixer stereo
inputs?

This sounds like an impedance or signal level mismatch between the soundcard
outputs and the mixer stereo inputs.

Try it through the RCA-style tape inputs and route them to the Control Room
outs (if you don't want that signal in the main mix).

I'll bet that takes care of it for you.

Jim

"qIroS" wrote in message
om...
I've recently purchased a Behringer UB1204FX mixer for recording and
live work and I seem to have a strange problem with it.

If I connect the line out from my computer (SB Live) to one of the
stereo input (using 3.5mm to 2x1/4" jacks), it works fine for about
two minutes or so then the audio on that channel (left and right)
descends into a crackling mess. Unplugging and replugging the audio
leads at the mixer end cleans up the audio for another couple of
minutes.

Thinking there to be a problem with the mixer, I connected an external
MIDI box to the same mixer inputs, and this works fine continuously
for as long as I want.

Could there be some kind of wierd interaction between the mixer inputs
and the soundcard outputs? Anyone encountered this sort of thing
before?

Vladan

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:16:03 +0200, "Mr. root"
wrote:

There is probably some DC voltage building up that charges the input
DC-blocking capacitors.

Or a feedback? In that case check SB mixer app.
Vladan
www.geocities.com/vla_dan_l
www.mp3.com/lesly , www.mp3.com/shook , www.mp3.com/lesly2
www.kunsttick.com/artists/vuskovic/indexdat.htm
qIroS

ghItlh "Mr. root"

There is probably some DC voltage building up that charges the input
DC-blocking capacitors.
Put an electrolytic capacitor ( 10uF / 25V ) in series with the
outputs of your SB Live followed by a resistor ( 22 kOhm ) from the
signal line to ground. ( at the Behringer side of your connection )
Make shure the capacitor is connected with his +pole to the SB.
So in ASCI

_
| | |
SB O--------| | |-----------------O Behringer
+ | | | |
---
10uF 22 kOhm

---

Or have someone do this for you. ( A handy-guy could even build it
inside the 1/4" jacks )

Andre

Hi.

I know this was an old thread but by gum I think this works!

I'm capable with a soldering iron (even take one out on gigs with me in
case something breaks!) so I made the wee circuit inside a pair of 1/4"
plugs and the problem has not happened since.

Top idea, thanks!