Posted to rec.audio.pro
peter[_2_] peter[_2_] is offline

Default Transfer reel-to-reel to CD

I've got a box of reel-to-reel tapes that I'd like to transfer to CD.
Doing it commercially could cost £15 per tape. It seems cheaper to buy
a machine myself, do the transfers and then resell the machine.

Does anybody know of an easily available (amazon?) machine that would
do this?

Peter
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

peter wrote:
I've got a box of reel-to-reel tapes that I'd like to transfer to CD.
Doing it commercially could cost =A315 per tape. It seems cheaper to buy
a machine myself, do the transfers and then resell the machine.

Does anybody know of an easily available (amazon?) machine that would
do this?

Which format are they and what were they recorded on? Are they consumer
quarter-track tapes or 30 ips tapes on 14" reels? There are literally
hundreds of possible open-reel formats out there.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

peter wrote:
I've got a box of reel-to-reel tapes that I'd like to transfer to CD.
Doing it commercially could cost £15 per tape. It seems cheaper to buy
a machine myself, do the transfers and then resell the machine.

It never is. A cheap tape deck will almost certainly need an overhaul,
since you can't buy a new one. Besides, you'll probably never get the
job finished. I'd suggest that you pick out the five tapes that you
really want to listen to again, get those copied, and put the box back
in storage.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
D.M. Procida D.M. Procida is offline

peter wrote:

I've got a box of reel-to-reel tapes that I'd like to transfer to CD.
Doing it commercially could cost £15 per tape. It seems cheaper to buy
a machine myself, do the transfers and then resell the machine.

Does anybody know of an easily available (amazon?) machine that would
do this?

Machines appear on eBay all the time, and sometimes they seem to be in
excellent condition.

Depending where you're based or prepared to travel, the format of the
tapes, and the quality you're expecting to obtain, you might find that a
hobbyist with a carefully-maintained machine would be happy to do it for
you in exchange for a few beer tokens.

If you were to get the machine from eBay yourself, and managed to get a
decent machine at a sensible price, you could resell for the same amount
when you'd finished using it.

Daniele
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com is offline

It depends where you live. In my area, for example, I know of a very
good technician who enjoys fixing these sorts of machines and the rates
are reasonable. The bigger issue is determining what format the tape is
(what combination of 4-track, half-track, full-track, stereo, mono, etc.),
then finding a machine of that same format in good enough condition that
it could be brought up to snuff at reasonable cost. Doing this, rather
than paying someone else to do it, is always my personal preference.
But that's because I enjoy digging in. If you're that sort of tinkerer
who prefers doing things yourself, then start doing some research, and
go for it. If on the other hand your main goal is to save money, but
basically just want it done and don't like any headaches or surprises,
and you don't want to have to do a bunch of research, then pay someone.

peter wrote:
: I've got a box of reel-to-reel tapes that I'd like to transfer to CD.
: Doing it commercially could cost ?15 per tape. It seems cheaper to buy
: a machine myself, do the transfers and then resell the machine.

: Does anybody know of an easily available (amazon?) machine that would
: do this?

: Peter

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

peter wrote:

I've got a box of reel-to-reel tapes that I'd like to transfer to CD.

What tape format(s) have you?

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jwvm jwvm is offline

On Jan 23, 6:18*pm, (hank alrich) wrote:
peter wrote:
I've got a box of reel-to-reel tapes that I'd like to transfer to CD.

What tape format(s) have you?

Sounding like Yoda are you?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

peter wrote:
I've got a box of reel-to-reel tapes that I'd like to transfer to CD.

What tape format(s) have you?

Sounding like Yoda are you?

All your pinch rollers are us.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jwvm jwvm is offline

peter wrote:
I've got a box of reel-to-reel tapes that I'd like to transfer to CD.

What tape format(s) have you?

Sounding like Yoda are you?

All your pinch rollers are us.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar

All your pinch roller are belong to us?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Ballinger David Ballinger is offline

peter wrote:
I've got a box of reel-to-reel tapes that I'd like to transfer to
CD.

What tape format(s) have you?

Sounding like Yoda are you?

All your pinch rollers are us.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar

All your pinch roller are belong to us?

Check your references for "We are the space robots!", can't believe I heard
it here?
Dave___________

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"David Ballinger" wrote ...
"jwvm" wrote in...
(hank alrich) wrote:
jwvm wrote:
(hank alrich) wrote:
peter wrote:
I've got a box of reel-to-reel tapes that I'd like to transfer to
CD.

What tape format(s) have you?

Sounding like Yoda are you?

All your pinch rollers are us.

All your pinch roller are belong to us?

Belong to us, all your pinch roller are.

I still don't get Frank Oz's voicing of Yoda. Too much like
Fozzie Bear or the Cookie Monster to be a "Jedi Master".

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:52:39 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

"David Ballinger" wrote ...
"jwvm" wrote in...
(hank alrich) wrote:
jwvm wrote:
(hank alrich) wrote:
peter wrote:
I've got a box of reel-to-reel tapes that I'd like to transfer to
CD.

What tape format(s) have you?

Sounding like Yoda are you?

All your pinch rollers are us.

All your pinch roller are belong to us?

Belong to us, all your pinch roller are.

I still don't get Frank Oz's voicing of Yoda. Too much like
Fozzie Bear or the Cookie Monster to be a "Jedi Master".

The tape path is the test. When your pinch roller can walk
the tape path, and leave no trace, it will have learned.

Grasshopper