Problem With Sony RX55 3-CD changer

Old November 1st 08, 11:40 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Nemo

Default Problem With Sony RX55 3-CD changer

Hello,
I am having a problem playing cds on my system ie the cds skip tracks
even on new cds bought from shops. It seems to have most trouble with
the later half of the cd (tracks 5+) but that is not always the case.
I've tried keeping the speakers away from it and checking for dust on
the cd-lens.

Any help appreciated.
Old November 1st 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Nemo" wrote...
> I am having a problem playing cds on my system ie the cds skip tracks
> even on new cds bought from shops. It seems to have most trouble with
> the later half of the cd (tracks 5+) but that is not always the case.
> I've tried keeping the speakers away from it and checking for dust on
> the cd-lens.

If it is having problems on the outside (last half) of the disc, the
problem may be the sled, especially on older equipment. The
service manual appears to be available online. It might be a
matter of cleaning and/or lubricating the sled track, etc.

Old November 1st 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Nemo

On Nov 1, 5:00*pm, "Richard Crowley" > wrote:
> "Nemo" *wrote...
> > I am having a problem playing cds on my system ie the cds skip tracks
> > even on new cds bought from shops. It seems to have most trouble with
> > the later half of the cd (tracks 5+) but that is not always the case.
> > I've tried keeping the speakers away from it and checking for dust on
> > the cd-lens.

> If it is having problems on the outside (last half) of the disc, the
> problem may be the sled, especially on older equipment. The
> service manual appears to be available online. It might be a
> matter of cleaning and/or lubricating the sled track, etc.

Any idea where id get them from? Free if possible because I just spent
the last hour looking round. I don't want to sound stingy, but I've no
idea if Ill get what I paid for and also I may not have the expertise
to put the service manual to use.
Old November 1st 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Nemo" wrote ...
> "Richard Crowley" wrote:
>> "Nemo" wrote...
>>> I am having a problem playing cds on my system ie the cds skip tracks
>>> even on new cds bought from shops. It seems to have most trouble with
>>> the later half of the cd (tracks 5+) but that is not always the case.
>>> I've tried keeping the speakers away from it and checking for dust on
>>> the cd-lens.

>> If it is having problems on the outside (last half) of the disc, the
>> problem may be the sled, especially on older equipment. The
>> service manual appears to be available online. It might be a
>> matter of cleaning and/or lubricating the sled track, etc.

> Any idea where id get them from? Free if possible because I just spent
> the last hour looking round. I don't want to sound stingy, but I've no
> idea if Ill get what I paid for and also I may not have the expertise
> to put the service manual to use.

I found a couple of sites that claimed to have the manual either free
or for sale (I wasn't concentrating on the details). I found them with
a simple Google search for the make and model number.

But it is quite possible that the manual won't be much help for your
particular symptom anyway, no matter what your skill level. They
typically recommend just replacing the whole CD reader mechanism
rather than trying to repair it.

I have a very old (vintage) Sony CD player with the same symptoms,
and it appears to be that the sled has become gummed up from either
the lubrication (if any?) going dry and gummy, or else dust and grime
causing the sled to not move easily anymore.

If you really want to fix it, you could try cleaning the track with
alcohol and a cotton swab. But I don't hold much hope for a
complete recovery. Those things weren't made to last that long.
And they are cheap enough to just replace that they weren't
really made for any kind of repair.

Old November 1st 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Nemo

On Nov 1, 7:04*pm, "Richard Crowley" > wrote:
> "Nemo" *wrote ...
>

> > "Richard Crowley" wrote:
> >> "Nemo" wrote...

> >> If it is having problems on the outside (last half) of the disc, the
> >> problem may be the sled, especially on older equipment. The
> >> service manual appears to be available online. It might be a
> >> matter of cleaning and/or lubricating the sled track, etc.

> > Any idea where id get them from? Free if possible because I just spent
> > the last hour looking round. I don't want to sound stingy, but I've no
> > idea if Ill get what I paid for and also I may not have the expertise
> > to put the service manual to use.

> I found a couple of sites that claimed to have the manual either free
> or for sale (I wasn't concentrating on the details). I found them with
> a simple Google search for the make and model number.
>
> But it is quite possible that the manual won't be much help for your
> particular symptom anyway, no matter what your skill level. They
> typically recommend just replacing the whole CD reader mechanism
> rather than trying to repair it.
>
> I have a very old (vintage) Sony CD player with the same symptoms,
> and it appears to be that the sled has become gummed up from either
> the lubrication (if any?) going dry and gummy, or else dust and grime
> causing the sled to not move easily anymore.
>
> If you really want to fix it, you could try cleaning the track with
> alcohol and a cotton swab. But I don't hold much hope for a
> complete recovery. Those things weren't made to last that long.
> And they are cheap enough to just replace that they weren't
> really made for any kind of repair.

Ill have a go anyway. Thanks for your help.
Old November 2nd 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Chris Hornbeck

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 15:37:24 -0700 (PDT), Nemo >
wrote:

>On Nov 1, 7:04*pm, "Richard Crowley" > wrote:

>> If you really want to fix it, you could try cleaning the track with
>> alcohol and a cotton swab. But I don't hold much hope for a
>> complete recovery. Those things weren't made to last that long.
>> And they are cheap enough to just replace that they weren't
>> really made for any kind of repair.

>Ill have a go anyway. Thanks for your help.

Richard has already layed out the regimen: wash the rails and
the sled's sleeve bearings with alcohol; then lube with a very
light petroleum-based oil. Something called "sewing machine oil" in
the States is probably about right. This is a low-stress lube gig, and
problems mostly occur with the lube getting ideas above its
station and thinking that it's a wax.

Many/most sleds are coupled to their driving motors with a small
belt. Good luck! but MCM keeps a pretty good selection. But better
plan on replacing this tiny critter too.

Only a crazy person would expend effort to fix an old CD player.
God bless crazy people.

And all the best fortune,
Chris Hornbeck
Old November 2nd 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias[_3_]

"Nemo" > wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am having a problem playing cds on my system ie the cds skip tracks
> even on new cds bought from shops. It seems to have most trouble with
> the later half of the cd (tracks 5+) but that is not always the case.
> I've tried keeping the speakers away from it and checking for dust on
> the cd-lens.
>
> Any help appreciated.

Never mind checking the lens - clean it.

Also do the cleaning and lubrication mentioned by others. Resuscitates many
players.

Mark Z.

Disc Changer problem, may have broke it FaxMeBeer Car Audio 3 May 16th 06 10:09 PM
Tech: Swapping Sony CDX-805 with Sony CDX 757MX 10 CD Changer Mike Car Audio 1 May 29th 04 02:29 AM
Old Cd changer to new HU problem Nikoli Yetti Car Audio 0 April 21st 04 11:33 PM
Garrard Changer problem Brent McKee Tech 24 March 30th 04 03:51 PM