Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default pro tools question

I don't know how many of you guys are using pro tools, and i posted
this over at the digi group, but i thought i'd post it here since i
get most of my good answers from you guys.

so i recorded a live date on my laptop to a glyph drive. hooked the
drive up to my desktop and wanted to start mixing. both computers are
on mac osx10.4.11 and PT mpowered 7.3.

i got all my edits done and now it's time to mix. for some reason it
won't record automation. i set my automation to "write" on each
channel and press play and start moving faders. when you hit stop and
go back, it was just as if you were playing the section instead of
mixing- no automation data has been written. the automation drop down
menu still says "write" in it but the text is bigger and bold now. it
doesn't switch to "latch" like it usually does. this is the first
time this has happened. nothing's changed with my setup. is there an
option or command buried somewhere in PT that i might've messed up
accidentally?

oh, so then I thought, fine i'll mix it in realtime and set all track
outputs to a bus and then created a stereo track for a 2 mix and set
its input to the bus i sent all the tracks to. record enable and go!
well it plays but isn't passing signal to the new stereo track.
weird! so now i'm stuck. how do i get this mixed? i could do a
gorilla mix and just leave all the faders in one position (it's a live
jazz record so probably not a real bad idea but since everything's
spot miked the dynamics aren't completely natural).

thanks,

Posted to rec.audio.pro
rboy rboy is offline

Have you tossed out all the prefs and plists?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article
,
Nate Najar wrote:

[...]

Have you tried going to the "rubber band" and moving the levels there?
(In the Edit Window, using Volume view.)

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

On Jun 20, 12:40*am, david correia wrote:
In article
,
*Nate Najar wrote:

[...]

thanks that's what i did. it had let me write some automation when i
first started working on it and when idid that i was able to erase all
of it and start over. then it started to work properly. sheesh go
figure.

i'm not a big DAW tweakhead- i use it really like a tape machine and
mixer. if i could mix in realtime instead of automating, i'd do that!

thanks again everyone,

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

On Jun 20, 8:55 am, Nate Najar wrote:

.... it had let me write some automation when i
first started working on it and when idid that i was able to erase all
of it and start over. then it started to work properly. sheesh go
figure.

i'm not a big DAW tweakhead- i use it really like a tape machine and
mixer. if i could mix in realtime instead of automating, i'd do that!

Nate, you may have accidentally "Suspended Audtomation Playback" -
erasing automation data restores automation that has been "suspended".

- from the Pro Tools PDF.

Suspending Automation Playback
You can suspend playback of automation for tracks by clicking on the
track's View Selector. To suspend playback (and writing) of automation
for specific controls:

1 In the Edit window, set the Track View Selector
to show the automation playlist for the control
you want to suspend.

2 Do one of the following:

* To suspend writing and playback of automation
for only the displayed control,
Control-click (Windows) or Commandclick
(Macintosh) the control name in the
Track View Selector.
* To suspend writing and playback of automation
for all controls, Control-Shift-click
(Windows) or Command-Shift-click (Macintosh)
the name of any control in the
Track View Selector.
* To suspend writing and playback of automation
for a specific control on all tracks,
Control-Alt-click (Windows) or Command-
Option-click (Macintosh) the name of the
control in the Track View Selector.
Automation Enable

The following rules automation
is written or played
$B"!(B Although Pro Tools Automation
mode for each controls
associated with
necessarily in the same
$B"!(B If automation is globally Automation
Enable window, controls
behave as if they
regardless of the track's
mode.
$B"!(B If automation for
Command-clicking Controlclicking
its name in
control behaves as regardless
of the track's current
$B"!(B If automation for
the Automation Enable
behaves as if it is in
in a recordable Automation
Latch, or Write mode).
Deleting Automation
Automation data takes
with editable breakpoints. remove
automation in
manually delete breakpoints automation
playlist.
Enabling and suspending automation from
the Edit window obeys Edit Groups (except
for Pan automation). This grouped behavior
can be suppressed by Start-clicking
(WIndows) or Control-clicking (Macintosh)
the control name.

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jun 20, 8:05 pm, WillStG wrote:
[...]

thanks will that's very helpful to know. I was on digidesign.com
looking for a freaking pro tools manual and it took me forever to find
it. thanks so much.

PRO TOOLS QUESTION AT Pro Audio 4 January 13th 07 12:45 AM
Pro-Tools clipping question... john3957 Pro Audio 2 July 21st 06 02:40 PM
Pro Tools Question [email protected] Pro Audio 1 January 24th 05 06:10 PM
Pro Tools LE Question Kosheen Pro Audio 3 December 30th 04 07:35 AM
Pro Tools question Mr. F n Pickles Pro Audio 1 August 29th 04 02:16 PM