Rich

Default Headphone ear pads replacement solution

Trying to find and purshcase new replacement earpads for my favorite
wireless headphones proved impossible. The largest pair of covers
from Radio Shack were too small for the large ear pads on my
headphones. After watching me surf the web and newsgroups for hours,
my wife had the solution: No nonsense Foot Tubes! My wife suggested
that I cover the existing flaking pleather (pleather = plastic
leather) earpads with a cheap pair of Foot Tubes (similar to pantyhose
but a little thicker). The idea being to keep the flaking pleather
under the covers since the foam within the cushions were still in good
shape.

These Foot Tubes are about 3" long and have an elastic band at both
ends. They are the perfect diameter to stretch over the ear pads
which securely hold them in place. I cut 1" off one end. Stretched
the elastic band over the existing earpad cushion and "wedged" the
other "cut" end underneath the earpad cushion and the base of the ear
piece. This solved the flaking pleather from depositing black specs
all over my ears and face while using the headphones. This
installation method does not cover the speaker or impede the sound
path to the ear, it just covers the cushion only. The heaphones look
and work great! Actually, they are much more comfortable with the
extra cushioning that the the Foot Tube covers provide.

I wanted to share with the group that a simple solution has been had!
I discounter like Walmart sells the Foot Tubes for $1.98 for two
pairs. The first pair is the experimental trial pair, after that,
you'll get it right.

I hope this helps somneone who may be as equally frustrated as I was.
Rich & Wendy...

Cerion

Your idea is good, though I just thought I'd mention that with most purely
foam ( as opposed to covered foam) the density and acoustic properties can
actually have pretty major effect on the frequency response. It's an
acoustic impedance issue where the foam ear cushions on many headphone
designs have to be a specific type of foam with a specific shape. If it
still sounds okay to your ears, subjectively, then that's fine, but if you
want optimal response, sticking with original replacements or something as
close as you can get is the way to go.

Skler

Shadow wrote in message
nk.net...
Just what I need. Thanks for sharing :-)

S.

om...