Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mike Gilmour

Default What would you do?

As a jazz enthusiast and sound recordist I was asked by a major Scottish
jazz festival organiser during 2001 to record several world-class jazz
musicians for a CD release which would provide funds for the following years
festivals. This I was delighted to do and said that I would only charge
travel expenses if he paid musicians fees, artwork & pressing costs.
I got prior recording permission from all the artists, competed the
recording, dealt with MCPS, mastering, in fact right up to the finished
product. Each featured musician was sent a promo CD prior to the release
date, all were very delighted with the recording quality.
The pressing run was 1,200 with 200 promo which would net the Festival funds
approx £10K after expenses. I billed him very reasonable travel expenses
and received no reply. My accountant has now sent three letters which the
organiser has ignores. Considering his concerts often seat 300+ and these
artists have returned the following year and are due to appear again this
year these.. CD's will soon be sold.
Luckily the MCPS license is in my name so he'll have some difficulty getting
a repeat run.
I have since heard allegedly that some other folk have had the same payment
problems. Should I just forget it all about it or make a big fuss...if big
fuss, any ideas??