MatFox

Default [Multichannel 5.1 audio] Which editing app for macintosh OS X?

Hello to you all; this is my first post here, hope I am not asking for
something that has already been discussed hundreds of times...

I would like to edit some '.ac3 - six channels' audio files.

Can anyone recommend me a macintosh OS X application I could use to do such
editing, in order to get DD or DTS uncompressed files to then burn on CDR and
play on my home theatre system?

TIA.
MatFox

Raymond wrote:

Not to many surround guy's in here but there are a few, try here....

Txs!
Do I have to write to this email address?

Jay - atldigi

In article ,
(MatFox) wrote:

Hello to you all; this is my first post here, hope I am not asking for
something that has already been discussed hundreds of times...

I would like to edit some '.ac3 - six channels' audio files.

Can anyone recommend me a macintosh OS X application I could use to do
such editing, in order to get DD or DTS uncompressed files to then burn on CDR
and play on my home theatre system?

Let me make sure I understand: you have something in AC3 already, and
you want to take it back to uncompressed multichannel, edit it, and then
compress it again to be able to listen on your home system? Before I
mention the problems with this, the short answer is that you can do this
in OSX with the newly released Nuendo 2.0. It's pretty well regarded for
it's surround abilities and can do DD and DTS encoding. It's not cheap
(The list is like $1,499 I think), but it's not easy to do any cheaper.
Mennetonka has DD and DTS encoders for PC that are expensive just for
the encoder, and you still need an editor. Any editor that can group 6
channels will really work, and then you just need to encode after
editing. You can encode DD in OSX with DVD Studio Pro, so any DAW you
have could be used for the editing, and DVDSP for AC3 encoding.

Here are the problems: If you decode AC3, edit, and re-encode, it won't
sound good. You really need to go back to the original files from before
they were AC3 encoded. AC3 is not designed for multiple encode/decode
passes. If it were something like MLP that is lossless compression, then
you could do it. Even Dolby E would work. It's not lossless, but it's
designed for broadcast applications where it will survive multiple
encodes/decodes. Also, most AC3 decoders just make analog audio, so you
would need something that would extract aiffs digitally from the AC3, or
you'd have to capture the analog audio, further complicating matters.
The other thing is that it's difficult to burn DD to a CD-R and get it
to play back properly on a consumer system. It's easier to accomplish
with DTS, so that's just a little practical tip to keep in mind.

So, there's some ideas on how you could do it, and why you may not want
to. Hopefully this will give you some food for thought. Good luck.

--
Jay Frigoletto
Mastersuite
MatFox

Jay - atldigi wrote:

So, there's some ideas on how you could do it, and why you may not want
to. Hopefully this will give you some food for thought. Good luck.

txs!

I can extract the 6 channels from the 5.1 .ac3 file in .aiff
(uncompressed) format.
I'd like to re-edit them as a 4.1 sourround, because the C channel of
the DVD I want to rip contains spoken parts, the other perfectly mixed
sorround music.

I have found a guy who has already done this for me, using a PC, but I
wanted to check if I could do it myself.

It seems like a pretty complicated process, so I will give up.

My original idea, though, was to rip the 5.1 audio tracks from my music
dvds and put it on DTS/DD CDRs, so anytime I'd want to listen to that
music, I wouldn't have to bother with playing the dvd.