Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default Why is Poopie two cheeks short of being an asshole? And a poached short of a brain, too...

Lord Valve wrote:
paul packer wrote:

On 21 Oct 2006 14:44:10 -0700, "Andre Jute" wrote:

Why is Poopie (1) two cheeks short of being an asshole?

It can't be only because he's old and bitter.

It can't be only because he is an incompetent.

It can't be only because he is a braggart.

It can't be only because he is ugly.

It can't be only because he is a fascist and a hypocrite.

There's gotta be a bigger reason than even this collection of petty
failings to create such a petty man.

So why is Poopie two cheeks short of being an asshole?

--A public service riddle by Andre Jute

(1) Graham Stevenson aka "Eeyore"
, who claims to be an
electronics engineer and designer but who is known to earn his living
micing tenthrate pub acts.

What is "micing tenthrate pub acts"?

Mr. Jute has, to my utter dismay, perpetrated a near-unpardonable
grammatical sin.

He has used "micing," a convention in popular circulation
among the singularly clueless fader-jocks and other
audio industry ****s. I commented on this back in
July, 2004 (among other times unfortunately all too
numerous) in a post replying to the question of what
can and what cannot be considered an acronym.
It's a singularly fine rant, and bears repetition.

It is again renderered hereinunder, for the edification
of the clueless and the gentle correction of Mr. Jute,
whose skill with the English language I usually respect.

spank

(As an aside, I would have hyphenated "tenthrate,"
but that's hairsplitting. Or hair-splitting, as the case
may be. ;-)

Originally posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound in July, 2004:

Lord Valve Speaketh:

As the OLAGOTEFI (Official Lexicographer And Grammarian
Of The Entire ****ing Internet [which is in itself an
acronym, pronounced oh-LAG-oh-TEFF-ee, minor accent on
syllable two, major accent on syllable four]) the Lord
must agree.

In order for a series of letters to be considered an
acronym, it must form a pronounceable word. "FBI"
(Fat Boys Institute" and "FOH" (Fat Old Hippie) are
not pronounceable words.

"Scuba," "radar," "jeep" (the Lord wagers most folks don't
know where that one came from, and no fair looking it up)
and the like all *started* as abbreviations, but soon
thereafter became words due to their prounounceable nature.
The more euphonious the construction, the quicker it evolved
into common usage as a pronounced non-abbreviation. Part of
the present confusion arises from the fact that it is customary
(nowadays) to eliminate the periods from the letter groups
which are unpronounceable and still considered to be abbreviations.
"F.B.I." and "F.O.H." are the technically correct forms for our
two examples, and with the inclusion of the periods, no-one
attempts to treat them as anything but what they are -
unpronounceable abbreviations. In the case of "S.C.U.B.A." (Some
Come Up Barely Alive) the transition was understandably swift.
It is, in the popular lexicon, a bitchin' fine-sounding word,
and great fun to say.

Which brings the Lord to one of His pet peeves: Alnico. Why
is it that many otherwise highly intelligent audio professionals
insist on pronouncing this word "al-KNEE-co"? Please, "everybody
does it" is no excuse. Any dictionary you wish to look in (provided
it has been compiled by a true lexicographer/etymologyst, and not
some smart-ass audio****** fool) will give you the correct
pronunciation for this word: "AL (rhymes with 'gal') ni (as in
'nick') coh." Accent on the first syllable, short I, long O.
Try it: AL-nick-oh. Alnico. See how it rolls off the tongue
when pronounced correctly. This word was formed from the chemical
symbols of the three metals which make up the alloy: ALuminum (or
ALuminium, for you Limeys), NIckel, and CObalt. Note the word
"nickel." If it is customary for you to say "NEE-cull" when
pronouncing that word, then fine - you may say "al-KNEE-co."
Otherwise, smarten up and say it correctly. And before any of you
audio assholes take the Lord to task over this, just remember: next
time you hear president Bush (or ex-president Carter, come to think
of it, who ought to know better, having been a nuclear power engineer
in the Navy) say "NUKE-you-lur," you'll have to keep your mouths shut.
And you know you can't do that, so - AL-nick-oh.

Don't even get the Lord started on "mic," which by any interpretation
of the rules of pronunciation for English must be enunciated as
"mick." The downright obstinate use of the ungainly and confusing
shortened form of "microphone" leads to embarrasing constructions
like "micing" (*must* rhyme with "icing," sorry, shut the ****
up) instead of the instantly recognizable and pronounceable
"miking." (Rhymes with "hiking" - see how that works?) "Miked."
(Rhymes with "hiked.") And "mike" is the proper representation
of the abbreviated form of "microphone." I want all of you to
do something you've never done befo step away from your
monitors and pick up a dictionary. Use a good one, a real one,
not one of those "Audio Cyclopedia" bull**** rags. Look up "mic."
Look up "miced." And "micing." Did you find 'em ok? No? Now,
slowly, carefully...look up "mike."

I ****ing told you so.

Lord Valve
JAFAWAM (Just Another ****in' Asshole With A Modem)

You caught me dead to rightx, M'Lud. I even thought of doing it right
and writing "Poopie mikes tenthrate pub acts" but then I thought, ****
it, I'm not writing for literates, I'm writing for Graham "Poopie"
Stevenson and other mike merchants for tenthrate pub acts, and I'd
better crawl into the sewer with them and write it like they do, so
they can understand me. Why, if I write "miking" instead of "micing",
those illiterate clowns, whose use of capitals is at best a matter of
statistics, might miscomprehend me as recommending unnatural acts with
a man called Mike.

Before passing sentence, M'Lud, I would also ask you to take into
account my background in typography and advertising. The key
imperative of graphic design (as the unwashed call the art of
typography) is "the crystal goblet", the concept that the means of
conveying the message, in this case the language, should not interfere
with the understanding of the recipient, in those case a bunch of less
than literate clowns who routinely write "mic" for "mike". As I am the
author of standard texts in which I hold up, to aspirants and other
professionals hunting inspiration, the crystal goblet as an imperative
limned in fire -- literally in at least one of my books, which is
probably among those listed he
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/T...%20GDitCA.html
--I would look like a right hypocrite if I suddenly, writing to people
who know no better, and whom I know to be ignorant, insist on the
proper use of a word that might confuse them.

Of course, as a novelist--
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/T...re%20Jute.html
--I should really stick to the straight and narrow and choose "mike",
but as a typographer writing for an uncivilized audience, I simply
cannot. I beg your forgiveness and understanding for my necessarily
imperfect resolution of this clash of irreconcilable principles
insisted upon by my various vocations.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Andrew JuteMcCoy exuded:

A bunch of lies, quarter-truths and self-serving drivel.

Every one of which was as accurate and credible as its statements on
Peter Drucker, as follows:

(1) Peter Drucker was the greatest theorist of applied economics

business management) who ever lived.

(2) Yes, my darlings, I know where the Philadelphia is, and I know

where New York is, but if we're dropping names, what's few miles?
Reminds me of the time when the chairman of my ad agency had this
brilliant idea (he was always having brilliant ideas unless we were
extra-vigilant): we would hire Drucker as a consultant. So a deputation

of the directors went immediately to Drucker's office to make him an
offer he couldn't refuse. My chairman was a huge fellow in his early
thirties with short, very blond hair. The rest of us were muscular
young men (high-profile sporting achievements were essential to rising
in our organization -- that's how we met most of our clients) of
definitely Aryan stock. We all wore double-welted leather-soled shoes
from Lobb in London and you can bet your ass a bunch of young guys who
earned seven-figure sums walked down this long passage before Drucker's

office with heel-clattering confidence; most of us had been in the
military somewhere (this was still in the age of conscription, where to

avoid forcible induction you did ROTC) so we clattered in step, like a
firing squad marching. Drucker was a Hungarian, a refugee from the
Nazis... One of the PA flung the door open dramatically and we bent our

heads to get through the door, then stormed up to a halt before the
desk behind which this little guy cowered. My chairman said, "We have
come for you!" Drucker stuttered, "I'm an American citizen now!"
Needless to say, we didn't succeed in hiring him.
_____________________________________

The above drivel was exuded by Mr. McCoy in search of a boost for what
passes for its ego.

Parsing it, the following Actual Facts would tend to suggest otherwise.
I claim a familial connection here as Mr. Drucker and my father went to
Law School together and remained better than acquaintances until my
father's death in 1972.

1. Mr. Drucker was Austrian, and the child of a high-level bureaucrat
in the Austrian government. He had no reason by race or religion to
fear or dislike Hitler.
2. Mr. Drucker left Germany as a matter of conscience. He first went to
England, from there to the United States. My father and he left Germany
at the same time, for the same reasons and on the same transport. From
there their paths did not cross again for a number of years.
3. Note that when they left, they did so freely, and not as refugees.
Furthermore, they were welcomed at their respective destinations
without the wary hostility that greeted Jewish refugees, sadly.
4. Mr. Drucker, by constitution and inclination, were he greeted as Mr.
McCoy describes would have kicked their collective asses around the
block, and then across Central Park for good measure, not acted
defensively.

Of course the reason that my father & Mr. Drucker would not have
described each other as "Friends" is that their politics diverged
significantly immediately after WW-II, with Mr. Drucker veering pretty
far to the right.

_________________________

Mr. McCoy, you lie as actual human beings breath.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Default 845 dreams was: Why is Poopie two cheeks short of being an asshole? And he's two slices short of a sandwich too!

Hi RATs!

I am going to use my trioded SE 6550C to drive the 845.

RC coupled. Grid R of 33K, since everybody says so

On my PP 6550c, also trioded, I put a SS diode between the Plate and
the Screen resistor. Sounds great

What effect, if any, does this have on the max operating watts?

This is the best thread in a long time

Thanks to all, especially Butter Gut.

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
paul packer paul packer is offline

Default Why is Poopie two cheeks short of being an asshole?

On 23 Oct 2006 11:19:11 -0700, "Gutter Butt"
wrote:

STEP 4. **** THE PIG IN THE ASS. HIS SHARP TEETH, FIELD OF
VISION AND ABILITY TO FIGHT BACK WILL BE RESTRAINED *AS LONG
AS YOU HAVE STUFFED THE PIG PROPERLY INTO THE TOILET*. ****
THAT PIG. YEAH, **** IT. JESUS CHRIST THE PIG DOESN'T LIKE
THIS DEAL AT ALL AND THAT'S WHAT YOU GET OFF ON BABY. ****
THAT LITTLE PIG. MMMMMM YEAH FINISHING MMMM PIG IN TOILET MMM

STEP 5. EVENTUALLY THE PIG WILL DROWN, GET "****ED-OUT" AND
COLLAPSE IN ON ITSELF OR OTHERWISE CEASE TO CONTINUE
PERFORMING AS ****TOY. REPLACE WITH FRESH PIG. SEE STEP 1.

Is there any sort of local volunteer work you could do perhaps?
Anything to keep you away from the keyboard.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default 845 dreams was: Why is blah blah...

tubegarden wrote:

Hi RATs!

I am going to use my trioded SE 6550C to drive the 845.

RC coupled. Grid R of 33K, since everybody says so

On my PP 6550c, also trioded, I put a SS diode between the Plate and
the Screen resistor. Sounds great

What effect, if any, does this have on the max operating watts?

This is the best thread in a long time

Thanks to all, especially Butter Gut.

Happy Ears!
Al

There was a guy at One Electron??? who uses a diode in the screen
circuit.
Presumably it allows current flow only one way into the screen from
where
the anode connects to the load.
I don't quite understand that a screen could ever experience a current
flow
*out* of the tube but if there was such a flow and if it was interupted
by
a diode then there would be no signal voltage on the screen, so no
electron flow control by the screen which while connected
acts as the anode to convey the effect of the anode signal on the
electron flow.
In trioded multigrid tubes in a class AB PP circuit if the screen was
"switched off"
with a diode presumably when the anode voltage went high during current
cut off
then the other "on" tube has to do all the work to produce the same
power,
but then the rising voltage in the cut off tube couldn't absoeb any
power either.
I have never tried the diode in series with screen trick and done the
analysis,
but I once used 50V and 100V zener diodes which merely
effctively reduced Eg2, and reduced the possible anode swing and I
decided
there were no benefits to be had.

Using 6550 in triode to drive an 845 is fine but you only get slightly
more gain than a 300B.
Maybe if you are not wanting full power its OK, say in the case of horn
speakers
where the aim is fidelity at low power rather than any ability to be
able
to drive at full power; who the hell uses 20 watts for horn speakers?.
So it may not matter to not be able to drive an amp in a horn based
speaker system
to full levels.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Lord Valve Lord Valve is offline

Andre Jute wrote:

Lord Valve wrote:
paul packer wrote:

[...]

Ah.

When in Rome, eh? I actually *like* the word "micing."
Try this: "The cats are micing in the cellar." ;-)

[...]

OK, you get a one-time-only dispensation from the Lord.

But watch it. ;-) I've been known to machine-gun clueless
****s for misusing the apostrophe. Especially with
verbs: "Poopie mike's tenth-rate pub acts." Grrrrrrr!
"Poopie bought two mike's today." Death penalty for that one.

Lord Valve
OLAGOTEFI/JAFAWAM

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Lorin David Schultz Lorin David Schultz is offline

Lord Valve wrote:

OK, you get a one-time-only dispensation from the Lord.

Is that why you let him off the hook for the comma outside the quotation
marks, or did you fail to notice such a flagrant violation of the rules
of punctuation? As Lord you have an obligation to the serfs: If your
going to critique there writing, make sure you look at punctuation to.

We need a ruling. Are there any genuine literati here? What's the deal
with punctuation and mid-sentence quotes? I thought that punctuation is
supposed to be placed inside the quotes, even when it's not actually
part of the quote. Lately, though, I see a lot of people placing
punctuation after the quote (which frankly seems more logical, even if
technically incorrect). Is this language evolution, or just another
example of many people simply not knowing the "rules?" Or have I just
been wrong all along?

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Lorin David Schultz said:

We need a ruling. Are there any genuine literati here? What's the deal
with punctuation and mid-sentence quotes? I thought that punctuation is
supposed to be placed inside the quotes, even when it's not actually
part of the quote.

You thought wrong.

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"George M. Middius" cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote
in message ...

Lorin David Schultz said:

We need a ruling. Are there any genuine literati here? What's the deal
with punctuation and mid-sentence quotes? I thought that punctuation is
supposed to be placed inside the quotes, even when it's not actually
part of the quote.

You thought wrong.

George, if I remember correctly Strunk and White ("Elements of Style") agree
with you. I was taught that as well, although I always thought it a bit
weird.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"George M. Middius" wrote:

Lorin David Schultz said:

We need a ruling. Are there any genuine literati here? What's the deal
with punctuation and mid-sentence quotes? I thought that punctuation is
supposed to be placed inside the quotes, even when it's not actually
part of the quote.

You thought wrong.

That's a very short but succingt post from you Georgei Poergie. LotS.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Gutter Butt Gutter Butt is offline

Eeyore wrote:
"George M. Middius" wrote:

Lorin David Schultz said:

We need a ruling. Are there any genuine literati here? What's

the deal
with punctuation and mid-sentence quotes? I thought that

punctuation is
supposed to be placed inside the quotes, even when it's not

actually
part of the quote.

You thought wrong.

That's a very short but succingt post from you Georgei Poergie.

LotS.

Graham

THE STANDARD DEPENDS ON WHETHER OR NOT YOU ARE IN AMERICA!!!

ALL THOSE CRAZY ****ED-UP FOREIGN COUNTRIES DO IT THE WRONG WAY!!!!

I AM A ENGLISH TEACHAR SO YES I WOULD KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 00:26:27 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

"George M. Middius" wrote:

Lorin David Schultz said:

We need a ruling. Are there any genuine literati here? What's the deal
with punctuation and mid-sentence quotes? I thought that punctuation is
supposed to be placed inside the quotes, even when it's not actually
part of the quote.

You thought wrong.

That's a very short but succingt post from you Georgei Poergie. LotS.

Graham

Yes. I think George can do better. :-)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Andre Jute wrote:
micing tenthrate pub acts.

Hi RATs!

OK, I don't read these Internet things in sequence

Mr. J has me very confused. In my experience there are only two types
of pub:

1. First Rate

2. Closed

Live entertainment, when present, is all the same: Wretched.

Once in a while there is a pretty barkeep or waitress, but, not enough
to truly make the saloon special. OK, Linda R. at Faces was the
exception. How many beautiful barkeeps visit their patrons in hospital?
(With a supply of Grape Neehi mix: Bailey's Irish Creme and Murphy's
Irish Whisky)

So, Eyesore, are you really a sound man, ("toast" "toast") or just
teasing Angre?

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

tubegarden wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:
micing tenthrate pub acts.

Hi RATs!

OK, I don't read these Internet things in sequence

Mr. J has me very confused. In my experience there are only two types
of pub:

1. First Rate

2. Closed

Live entertainment, when present, is all the same: Wretched.

Once in a while there is a pretty barkeep or waitress, but, not enough
to truly make the saloon special. OK, Linda R. at Faces was the
exception. How many beautiful barkeeps visit their patrons in hospital?
(With a supply of Grape Neehi mix: Bailey's Irish Creme and Murphy's
Irish Whisky)

So, Eyesore, are you really a sound man, ("toast" "toast") or just
teasing Angre?

I mix bands from time to time, yes. In recent times mainly here..... just
Thursdays, Fridays or Saturdays though.
http://thehorn.co.uk/

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ayn Marx Ayn Marx is offline

On Sat, 2006-10-21 at 15:34 -0700, tubegarden wrote:
Hi RATs!

OK, I got a power transformer which will drive an 845 without a bunch
of voltage doublers, triplers, whatever 105/115/125 primary 1400/700
secondary. Model is 901367.

I am going to use a choke input PS filter, with a 100uF 2000V oil cap.
Maybe more, will listen and decide.

866 MV (mercury vapor) rectifiers.

Initial OPT will be two One-Electron ubt-2 with primaries in series and
secondaries in parallel. Each primary will have a parallel resistor to
reduce ringing and other boisterous behavior. DCR of R to be between 5
and 10X the primary Z.

I love this techno talk

The DCR of the PT secondary is 38 ohms. Same as the like sized (BIG)
choke I am going to use

Happy Ears!

Al

Kewl! Wots the bass response when playing sumthing like tupacs latest
tape? thanx!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Ruud Broens Ruud Broens is offline

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: George M. Middius wrote:
:
: Aren't you going to correct Worthless's spelling mistake?
:
: Commander:
:
: Look up Pulcidae.
:
: Oh, does it make you quietly proud to be the third and least part of
: your peculiar trinity? As the least articulate and most ignorant, you
: should be.
:
: Peter Wieck
: Wyncote, PA
:
He, is this still about that sweet kick recipe thing, or has anything
worth mentioning happened in between ?

Rudy
sav'n me some time

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika marika is offline

Lord Valve wrote:

Ah.

When in Rome, eh?

Maybe you're thinking about it a little too much?

I actually *like* the word "micing."

You're probably not a computer geek because (and this was always my
impression of
you) you use up 99.9% of yuor geek-dom on music/audio, so there isn't
any left to
go around to other areas of interest.

But geezmabeezus if ya gwan to verb up words, and complain about
apostrophic catastrophes after micing, why not use the whole dang verb
and decline the declension and say "I microphoned it".

mk5000

"Just as long as I can have you
And I'd do anything baby
Do anything for ya