Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] heert13@zonnet.nl is offline

Default Suggestions: Phoenix Gold MS2125 and M44

Hi to all,

I'm running from a Clarion HU (4V pre out) a PG MS2125 (= 2 channel
amp) and a PG M44 (= 4 channel amp), no EQ or line drivers in the
signal path.

On the M44 I am only using 2 of the 4 channels to power my fronts (75
Wrms Infinity Perfect 6.1), each channel driven at 4 ohms (so 2
channels are unused).

The MS-2125 I use to power a single 12 inch sub in a sealed enclosure,
Cerwin Vega 12.4 Vega (rated at 400 Wrms). The MS2125 is bridged with 4
ohms. I use the X-over in the M44 to filter the MS2125 for the use of
the subwoofer.

According to the spec's of the manufacturer (taken out of the user
manual):
M44, running at 4ohms should pull about 23 amps, I'm using only 2
channels so 23/2=11,5 amps (stereo into 4 ohms should give 2 x 55 watts
RMS @ 13,8 Volts)
MS2125, running at 4 ohms bridged should pull about 60 amps (bridged
into 4 ohms should give 1 x 510 watts RMS @ 13.8 Volts)

Total of 71,5 amps at 13,8 volts

I have a 40 amp fuse under the hood, but turning the up volume doesn't
even make the fuse blow. The headlights dim only by a very small amount
when turned up to 75%-85% of the max HU volume. The red clipping light
of the MS2125 lights up occasionally with heavy bass at high volumes.
The MS2125 doesn't get very hot after playing a full hour.

I get the feeling I am doing something wrong and depriving my speakers
of power. As I am in no way pulling 70 amps (the 40 amp fuse isn't
blowing), the voltage must be dropping significatly low at the amps or
is this a wrong conclusion?

Would it be wise to replace my power cable running from the front to
the back + the ground wire? I am using a 25 mm2 (AWG 4, not sure) at
them moment. It's 4,5 meters long now. Could I add an extra wire to the
25mm2 wire or is it better to replace (= extra costs)?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Drew aka PG Dude

PS I recenty replaced my Phoenix Gold MAC-200 for the MS-2125 and I
have no noticeable extra SPL using the MS2125, is this normal?

Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

On Oct 11, 2:57 am, wrote:

Total of 71,5 amps at 13,8 volts

I have a 40 amp fuse under the hood, but turning the up volume doesn't
even make the fuse blow. The headlights dim only by a very small amount
when turned up to 75%-85% of the max HU volume. The red clipping light
of the MS2125 lights up occasionally with heavy bass at high volumes.

It's normal for the clipping light to blink occassionally.

The MS2125 doesn't get very hot after playing a full hour.

Are you sure you're running it at 4 Ohms mono and not at 8 Ohms mono
or, worse yet, are you sure you don't have it just plugged into half of
the amp (L or R channel)?

I get the feeling I am doing something wrong and depriving my speakers
of power. As I am in no way pulling 70 amps (the 40 amp fuse isn't
blowing), the voltage must be dropping significatly low at the amps or
is this a wrong conclusion?

I don't now much of anything about the PG amps, but assuming that they
have regulated power supplies, they will pull more current when the
voltage drops, not less....so voltage sags would actually make popping
your fuse easier, not harder.

If the amps *don't* have regulated power supplies (consult the owner's
manual or contact the manufacturer), then DC input voltage sags will
result in reduced output, lower dynamic headroom and thus greater
chance of clipping.

Would it be wise to replace my power cable running from the front to
the back + the ground wire? I am using a 25 mm2 (AWG 4, not sure) at
them moment. It's 4,5 meters long now. Could I add an extra wire to the
25mm2 wire or is it better to replace (= extra costs)?

Any suggestions?

Does it sound good? Is it giving you any problems? If the answer is
"yes" to both, then one suggestion would be to stop stressing and
relax--enjoy your system.

There is one brain-dead thing you could try---pull the fuse entirely.
If it keeps playing, you'll know why you haven't popped your fuse. :-)

-dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
PG Dude PG Dude is offline

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I have no idea if the MS2125 is regulated or
unregulated but the power supply has an efficiency 80% and the output
drops if the voltage on the amp drops (manual states the following: 125
watts RMS per channel @ 12 V & 4 ohms but 160 watts RMS per channel @
13,8 V & 4 ohms). Is that an indication?

I think we can conclude that it is unregulated, correct? I'll contact
PG to be sure.

The speaker is 4 ohms, that is for sure (it's not a dual VC version).
Well, I'm running a left and right RCA cable from the M44 (because it
has an output with X-over) to the MS2125. Maybe one of the channels of
that RCA cable is defective? I'll check to see if I have a signal on
the left and the right output with my volt meter. Maybe the output gain
on the M44 isn't set correct?

Haha, that brain-dead thingy made me laugh,..I suppose the next thing I
should do then is rotate my head 360 degrees and shout "THIS CAR IS
POSSESSED"

Drew

D.Kreft schreef:

On Oct 11, 2:57 am, wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
PG Dude PG Dude is offline

Hi Dan, got a reply back from Phoenix Gold (Errin Keeling, Technical
Support):

" The power supply is not regulated, and the fuse should not blow
unless the current demand is excessive. A typical fuse is rated for
200% of its printed value for 2-5 minutes before opening; essentially
you could pull 80 amps through that fuse for 2-5 minutes before blowing
the fuse."

That explains it!

PG Dude