Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Tom Shults Tom Shults is offline

Default Sel or junk broken gear?

All,

I would like some recommendations about what to do with my old and broken
audio gear. I have five or six high-end audio components that I have
replaced due to some failure or other. I suspect they might not be worth
the cost of shipping. I have not noticed people selling broken equipment on
Audio Gone, so I am not sure if there is a market for this stuff.

Examples of the failures I am referring to are a 1992 preamplifier with a
worn out input selector switch and a 1989 era CD player with a failing laser
pickup.

I am being vague about the specific list of equipment and failures because I
am not trying to sell this stuff in this forum. I am only seeking some
suggestions on whether I can find a sales channel for it, or if I should
take this stuff to the recycling pile at the dump. I live in the SF Bay
Area, so if anyone knows someone in that area who buys and fixes old
equipment around here, I would appreciate learning about that.

Many Thanks,
Tom

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Oct 10, 7:23*pm, "Tom Shults" wrote:
[...]

Like anything else, it depends.

Most high-end equipment retains *some* value indefinitely.

The CD player is likely able to be tweaked to work - there will be a
laser-level-control and sensitivity control if it is truly a high-end
unit, for instance. Or it may just need to be cleaned.

The pre-amp selector switch to have failed - ever - suggests either
very hard use or that it was not so high-end after a mere 16 years. I
have several pre-amps that are used regularly and are over forty (40)
years old. And two of them are nobody's 'High-end' units (Dynaco PAT-4
and PAS-3). Very hard use is always possible, however.

William has the best advice - eBay at $0.99 and see where the chips
might fall.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA