Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

Default EH 7591s - Experience in favor of NOS tubes

Over a year ago I bought a quad of EH 7591As (not the repinned 6L6, but the
supposed 7591 exact replacement).

I estimate that I have less than 1000 hours on the quad (installed in a
Japanese receiver). The bias had been carefully set. The amp had always
been run on low volumes and the plates were never red.

By accident I tapped the back side of the receiver with an antenna that
weighed about 1 oz. and shorted out one of the 7591s. Fortunately, it was
protected by a 10 ohm cathode resistor. That gave me the "opportunity" to
recheck the tubes.

In addition to the cathode-shorted tube, 2 of the 4 had very low emissions -
far below the 5600 minimum value stated on the Hickok 539B's roller.

People on this NG claim that many of the Russian tubes are good, but my
experience with too many of them has been bad.

This quad of EH 7591s obviously sucks, but so have small signal Sovtek
12AX7s and the like, which seem to have incredibly reduced cathode emissions
after a year or so.

Some Eico (Westinghouse) 7591s that are over 40 years old are cranking right
along with great emissions.

Are the Svetlana Winged C series any better of the long term?

Anyone else?

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Mark S Mark S is offline

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Jon,
I've used SED's (6550, KT88, EL34) for quite a few years and have been very
pleased. Something I wasn't with other Russian / Chinese tubes; admittedly,
that was back in the mid 90's. It's not to say I haven't blown up an SED but
from an emission standpoint, they were / are pretty solid. I have a set of
EH 7868's from Triode Electronics in my S-8000 for about the same amount of
time you stated for the EH 7591's. I may pull & test 'em to see how they are
doing. I seem to recall a Glass Audio article regarding the 7591 and their
short comings. According to the article, the G2 alignment of the 91's (and
the 7868 I assume) is the weak point. Failures mostly due to burned G2 grid
wires. I've always suspected the grid wire quality in current tubes to be
less than that of good NOS, would explain a lot. SED at one time was going
to make a 91 but I believe went after the triode market instead. Pity.
MarkS

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

Jon Yaeger said:

[...]

Dunno about the EH, but I bought a quad of JJ 7591A about 2 years ago
for a client with a Mac 230 amp, he uses it daily and the tubes are
still as good as they were on the day I installed them.
He recently asked me to check them on my AVO tester, hence the
knowledge ;-)
They sound good as well (plus, they fit under the hood, unlike the
EHs!)

Mind you, the Macs are class B designs though, so how they would
perform when constantly pushed to their limits in a class A amp I
couldn't tell.

--
"Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks."
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ned Carlson Ned Carlson is offline

Jon Yaeger wrote:

People on this NG claim that many of the Russian tubes are good, but my
experience with too many of them has been bad.

This quad of EH 7591s obviously sucks, but so have small signal Sovtek
12AX7s and the like, which seem to have incredibly reduced cathode emissions
after a year or so.

I think you have to be careful about making generalizations
about any given brand or origin of tube based on an anecdotal
experience. I've seen strings of dud tubes from about any
manufacturer you want to name (and, yes, I once got a box of AT&T
WE300B's where 3 of them had loose pieces of glass inside).

EH has sold like thousands of 7591's, so obviously they don't all
suck. It was only a few years ago that there were practically no 7591's
available at all, and people were crying for someone, anyone, to
make some.

Some Eico (Westinghouse) 7591s that are over 40 years old are cranking right
along with great emissions.

The age doesn't mean anything. I have a 1950 Zenith clock radio with
its original tubes that works fine, but it only works for about 2
minutes per day. I'm more impressed with the Telechron clock that's
56 years old and still runs 24 hours a day.

Are the Svetlana Winged C series any better of the long term?

They don't make 7591's.

--
Ned Carlson
SW side of Chicago, USA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article , Ned Carlson at
wrote on 10/28/06 3:26 AM:

Jon Yaeger wrote:

People on this NG claim that many of the Russian tubes are good, but my
experience with too many of them has been bad.

This quad of EH 7591s obviously sucks, but so have small signal Sovtek
12AX7s and the like, which seem to have incredibly reduced cathode emissions
after a year or so.

I think you have to be careful about making generalizations
about any given brand or origin of tube based on an anecdotal
experience.

*** Of course, you are (logically) correct. However, I am not going to
continue to make a personal investment in these tubes to find out if others
they have made are good.

*** I was trying to do an informal survey to see what other's "anecdotal"
experiences with Russian tubes were like. You don't mention YOUR experience
in your reply. Too bad - I respect your opinion.

I've seen strings of dud tubes from about any
manufacturer you want to name (and, yes, I once got a box of AT&T
WE300B's where 3 of them had loose pieces of glass inside).

*** No doubt.

EH has sold like thousands of 7591's, so obviously they don't all
suck.

*** This is not necessarily true. Quantity sold does not equate to
quality, especially if it takes a period of time for the problem(s) to
surface.

It was only a few years ago that there were practically no 7591's
available at all, and people were crying for someone, anyone, to
make some.

*** Agreed.

Some Eico (Westinghouse) 7591s that are over 40 years old are cranking right
along with great emissions.

The age doesn't mean anything. I have a 1950 Zenith clock radio with
its original tubes that works fine, but it only works for about 2
minutes per day. I'm more impressed with the Telechron clock that's
56 years old and still runs 24 hours a day.

*** Point well taken. Let me pose an unrelated question, Ned. How much
tube gear do you own that you use frequently, and what brands of tubes do
you use?

Are the Svetlana Winged C series any better of the long term?

They don't make 7591's.

*** I know. I was considering the Svets for a different project and
wanted to see if anyone had any long-term experience with them.

Cheers & best regards,

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phread Phread is offline

Hey Jon,

I use winged C 6550's pretty much exclusively in guitar & bass amps because they're more rugged and can handle really high voltages
and dissipations, and the musicians who own amps that use them know that and demand winged C's.

The same musicians demand EH 12AX7's in the front end of their amps because they think they're quieter than other brands. I'm not
so sure they're right about that, but I give them what they want. I have to pretest them for noise in order to have really quiet
tubes for the input stages. And I don't do that for free, I charge double for 12AX7's that are tested quiet. But what I charge is
still cheaper than the bull**** companies like Ruby and Groove Tubes charge for their supposedly hand tested Chinese crap. Don't
get me started... ;-)

If you've experienced loss of emission in EH 12AX7's, I'd suggest you check the equipment, because something is wrong and it's not
the tubes. Plugging a 12AX7 into a stage meant for a 12AU7 or 12AT7 will eventually destroy the tube, because it's not designed to
handle the much higher current the AU and AT are built for.

EH tubes may become noisy or microphonic over time - in guitar amps, they are subject to a lot of physical abuse from vibration, but
they do not lose their emission in a properly working circuit. And Sovtec/EH tubes last as long as anyone else's, IME. For amps
designed for 5881's or EL34's, Sovtec/EH tubes work just fine. And I've found their matched tube sets to actually be and stay
matched over the last few years. That's a distinct improvement compared to the old days...

Lord Valve is a good resource regarding which tubes work best in which guitar & bass amps, and why. You can find him over at
Alt.Guitar.Amps. Sign up to be spammed by him and he'll email you a very informative set of catalogs every few months.

He'd probably appreciate it if you bought a tube or few from him. I have, and have also referred some of my customers to him for
help when they're on the road. No complaints so far, but YMMV.

Regards, Fred

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message ...
in article , Ned Carlson at
wrote on 10/28/06 3:26 AM:

Jon Yaeger wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Lord Valve Lord Valve is offline

Phread wrote:

[...]

Hey, thanks for the plug.

I don't post to alt.guitar.amps any more - it's turned
into a complete sea of leftist homosexual filth. If
you want to read about penises and feces, AGA
is the place to go. For guitar amps, I don't know
where to send ya. Try e-mailing me. ;-)

Lord Valve
Expert

VISIT MY WEBSITE: http://www.nebsnow.com/LordValve
I specialize in top quality HAND SELECTED NOS and
current-production vacuum tubes for guitar and
bass amps. Good prices, fast service.
Authorized dealer for QSC amps, Sovtek/Electro-Harmonix,
Behringer, Hammond-Suzuki, Leslie, Rolls, Weber VST, etc.!

- Partial Client List -
* Derek Trucks (Allman Brothers Band/Derek Trucks Band) *
* Meatloaf * Catherine Wheel * Yo La Tengo * Let's Go Bowling *
* Kofi Burbridge (DTB) * Tod Smallie (DTB) * Susan Tedeschi *
* Roy Pritts (former head, Audio Engineering Society) *
* Rob Hyckys (guitarist for Commander Cody) * Waky Amps *
* Jamie McLean (guitarist for the Dirty Dozen Brass Band) *
* John Pierce (bassist for Huey Lewis and the News) *
* Rob Eaton (guitarist for Dark Star Orchestra) *
* Detroit Frank DuMont (guitarist, Frank DuMont and the Drivin' Wheels) *
* Coco Montoya * Clint Black * Bill McKay * Mojo Watson * Dick Dale *
* Fleetwood Mac * Tyrin Benoit * Eugene Fodor * Dale Bruning *
* Komet Amplification * Dr. Z * Maven Peal * Blockhead Amps *
* Jim Kelley * Balls Amplification * Roccaforte Amplifiers *
* Gerhart Amplification * Aiken Amplification * Germino Amplification *
* Lots More *

NBS Electronics, 230 South Broadway, Denver, CO 80209-1510
Phone orders/tech support after 1:30 PM Denver time at 303-778-1156

- Our 25th Year -

VISA - MASTERCARD - PAYPAL - DISCOVER

"It ain't braggin', if ya can do it." - Dizzy Dean

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

Default EH 7591s - Experience in favor of NOS tubes - Thanks, Fred

in article , Phread at
wrote on 10/28/06 11:07 PM:

[...]

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
in article
, Ned Carlson at
wrote on 10/28/06 3:26 AM:

Jon Yaeger wrote:

[...]

Fred,

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Jon Yaeger wrote:

*** I was trying to do an informal survey to see what other's "anecdotal"
experiences with Russian tubes were like. You don't mention YOUR experience
in your reply. Too bad - I respect your opinion.

I've sold quite a few and the return/complaint rate was not out of line,
if it was, I would've quit selling them. I quit selling other tubes
when I got too many complaints, eg: I quit selling JJ KT88's,
but apparently they've fixed their quality control problems
since then. Note that many complaints , like yours , turn up when the
tubes are way out of warranty, but I hear about it nonetheless.

I would say that the JJ 7591 test hotter than the EH, and it's nice
that they have a smaller bulb, but people have had problems with those
too. (they may be fine, now, that was a while ago) Like any new models
of anything, it may take awhile to work the bugs out, and keeping up
quality control on high Gm output tubes is a bitch. US companies
had problems with both 7591 and 8417, this is not just a Russian
or Slovak problem.

Still, I have to point out that anecdotes ain't statistics
until you accumulate a big bunch of them. It's way too easy for
one person's one-off experience to get spread around and color the
opinions of lots of people even if the statistical evidence
doesn't back up the negative publicity.

*** This is not necessarily true. Quantity sold does not equate to
quality, especially if it takes a period of time for the problem(s) to
surface.

Returns cost money. Lots of money. Every returned dud tube wipes out
the profit on ten good ones. If even 10% of those tubes were duds,
even after 1000 hours, somebody would be raising hell about it.

*** Point well taken. Let me pose an unrelated question, Ned. How much
tube gear do you own that you use frequently, and what brands of tubes do
you use?

Well, other than my clock radio, I've been using my $99 homebrew
SE 5 watt/channel a lot. I also own a Sherwood S5000-II and a
Dynaco ST35.

Frankly, I don't pay a lot of attention to what brands of tubes
I put in my stuff, so long as they work OK, usually I get tubes from
inventory I can't sell, like tubes with glass rattles.
People who design tube gear should assume that the enduser is going to
plug in whatever crap they have lying around, back in the bad old days,
people used to pick their tubes from whatever was in the bin under
the tube tester at Walgreens.

--
Ned Carlson
SW side of Chicago, USA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

I've sent you (3) e-mails asking for price / availability on the Svets, but
have yet to receive the benefit or courtesy of a reply. Guess you must be
really busy, or just not that interested in selling tubes.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ether Ether is offline

Lord Valve wrote:
Phread wrote:

[...]

You're talking about Claudette. But he's a right-winger.

If
you want to read about penises and feces

That pretty much sums up your sex life, doesn't it, Willie?

You lost, Willie. GET OVER IT!

--E