Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Are there Profiles in RAC????

This Jowens500 insists there are "profiles" we all have in this newsgroup
and that by clicking on our name we have access to these profiles.

Is there something I'm missing? Does Usenet provide "profiles" for it's
users?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but hell, anything's possible.

Thanks,

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain_Howdy Captain_Howdy is offline

There are profiles in RAC, and yours says that you're a silly little turd and
that your wife blows tweeters.

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
This Jowens500 insists there are "profiles" we all have in this newsgroup
and that by clicking on our name we have access to these profiles.

Is there something I'm missing? Does Usenet provide "profiles" for it's
users?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but hell, anything's possible.

Thanks,

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

So Howdy, you're saying there are "profiles" in Usenet newsgroups? Yes or
no? How do I access them in OE? Can you answer that since you are saying
they do exist.

I just want to be sure I understand you correctly (note he will not answer
the question because although he DESPERATELY does not want to agree with me,
he also does not want to look foolish to the others). It's a delima for old
Howdy.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Thank you for clearing that up. I HOPE he is reading this.

MOSFET

"I. Care" wrote in message
.net...
In article ,
says...
This Jowens500 insists there are "profiles" we all have in this

newsgroup
and that by clicking on our name we have access to these profiles.

Is there something I'm missing? Does Usenet provide "profiles" for it's
users?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but hell, anything's possible.

Thanks,

MOSFET

Nick,

Here is a posting I made trying to explain how his "forum" gets to
R.A.C. NG. Sorry if this is a repeat.

Subject: NEED: Kenwood VZ907 brain-hideaway connector
From: I. Care

In article ,
says...
The more you post, I am starting to see this from his point of view.

know what this is and how to use it. I hate to tell you, but this

fourm
has profiles, and if you wern't so hard headed, you might find this

out
for yourself.

You start by insulting a friend. You are obviously a newbie but

apparently
know more than I do about RAC (and I've been on RAC for 10 years).

It is you who are hard-headed.

Look, if any regulars (besides Howdy who will say ANYTHING because he's
crazy) agrees with you, I will concede the point (GOOD LUCK!).

But you are going to have egg on your face VERY soon (as well as already
being a jerk to a good guy). You are not making a very good impression
here.

MOSFET

A discussion, hopefully kind of coherent, that jowens500 will read and
understand.

He, jowens500, is posting (linked) to R.A.C via
http://forum.carstereos.org/. If you look
at his headers on the R.A.C. NG:

From: jowens500
Newsgroups: rec.audio.car
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:23:29 -0500

Look at the From: and User-Agent: lines from his headers above to see
his name and the usenet gateway reference.

You can see that he is posting from a forum that has members that
typically sign-up and have user profiles. Apparently carstereos.org
links to the usenet R.A.C. NG (vBulletin USENET Gateway), not sure if
automatically or upon request by poster. We cannot click on his name in
carstereos.org forum because we are not posting from there.

If you go to
http://forum.carstereos.org/u-jowens500-13907 you can see
the profile info for jowen500. Apparently he thinks many of the posts
he sees are done from the carstereos.org forum and he can't find
profiles for those of us posting directly via usenet newsreader programs
or even "Google Groups".

Apparently he is not a member of a carstereos.org forum Public Group.

He will learn eventually (we can hope) that rec.audio.car is a usenet
newsgroup and NOT a forum, a forum in this case is a website set up by
an individual or group, for members to discuss topics and usually
moderated. A usenet newsgroup is a free open I.e. public un-moderated
newsgroup, has no members, no sign-up, no profiles and obviously nobody
moderating and deciding what posts are/are not appropriate.

jowens500 can look here to get an idea, as you suggested, of what a
usenet newsgroup looks like:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.audio.car

However this is, I believe, also a LINK to usenet filtered through the
"Google" front end, but a little more realistic than carstereos.org.

Hope that didn't make the water more murky.

--
I. Care

Posted to rec.audio.car
Daniel W. Rouse Jr. Daniel W. Rouse Jr. is offline

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
This Jowens500 insists there are "profiles" we all have in this newsgroup
and that by clicking on our name we have access to these profiles.

Is there something I'm missing? Does Usenet provide "profiles" for it's
users?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but hell, anything's possible.

Thanks,

Usenet itself doesn't, but Google Groups recreated DejaNews functionality
and has a View Profile link for each poster. Recall that Google Groups, in
2001, backfilled the archive to 20 years worth of archived posts.

Clicking View Profile when reading within Google Groups shows all of the
groups a poster has posted to and the number of posts for each group
(crossposted replies included), including any posts that may have been
forged in their name, and there was also a bug where even "nuked" (posts
cancelled from within Google Groups only) were still listed in the profile
even if the posts were suppressed.

Furthermore, identities are tracked by e-mail address, regardless of the
actual handle or name used by a specific poster. Users who have different
handles or names, but the same e-mail address, effectively "share" a single
profile, at least as far as Google Groups functionality is concerned.

This is completely invisible to any Usenet user who doesn't use Google
Groups for reading Usenet or posting to Usenet, but like DejaNews, this is
the latest functionality incorporated into the Google Groups archive. Proof
of concept...

1. Go to http://groups.google.com
2. Use the search to find one of your posts
3. Click the link to the post (or thread)
4. Find one of your posts and click View Profile

Basically, every user who has ever posted to Usenet since 1981 has an
auto-generated user profile in Google Groups, even if they never actually
posted to Usenet using Google Groups.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain_Howdy Captain_Howdy is offline

No, usenet does not have profiles, the info that it does have is about the
same that you will find in a email header.

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
So Howdy, you're saying there are "profiles" in Usenet newsgroups? Yes or
no? How do I access them in OE? Can you answer that since you are saying
they do exist.

I just want to be sure I understand you correctly (note he will not answer
the question because although he DESPERATELY does not want to agree with me,
he also does not want to look foolish to the others). It's a delima for old
Howdy.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain_Howdy Captain_Howdy is offline

LOL That all depends on he likes more, wife or tweeters and as he stated in
the past he did love those JL tweeters.

wrote:

This Jowens500 insists there are "profiles" we all have in this newsgroup
and that by clicking on our name we have access to these profiles.

Is there something I'm missing? Does Usenet provide "profiles" for it's
users?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but hell, anything's possible.

Thanks,

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Baba Baba is offline

Dzieki wielkie za wypowiedz

Posted to rec.audio.car
Rick Brandt Rick Brandt is offline

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
Excellent answer, Daniel.

It's a posting history. You only see a profile there if you register with
Google and create one. It shows "profile not available" for me.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Daniel W. Rouse Jr. Daniel W. Rouse Jr. is offline

"Rick Brandt" wrote in message
et...
"Matt Ion" wrote in message
Excellent answer, Daniel.

It's a posting history. You only see a profile there if you register with
Google and create one. It shows "profile not available" for me.

Unless you've discovered a way to "nuke" (remove) your profile, you have one
even if never registered with Google. This isn't new--DejaNews did this
years ago before Google acquired them, but Google just reimplemented
profiles sometime
this year.

Proof:
1. http://groups.google.com
2. Search for: "Rick Brandt group:rec.audio.car" (without the quotes)
3. Click a link to one of your posts
4. Click View Profile

Note that if anyone else has used your e-mail address, you now "share" the
same profile as they do (meaning that Google has only aggregated the posting
history of a specific e-mail address). The profile also itemizes how many
posts over specific months/years have been made.

Posted to rec.audio.car

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
Excellent answer, Daniel.

It's a posting history. You only see a profile there if you register with
Google and create one. It shows "profile not available" for me.

Unless you've discovered a way to "nuke" (remove) your profile, you have one
even if never registered with Google. This isn't new--DejaNews did this
years ago before Google acquired them, but Google just reimplemented
profiles sometime
this year.

Proof:
1. http://groups.google.com
2. Search for: "Rick Brandt group:rec.audio.car" (without the quotes)
3. Click a link to one of your posts
4. Click View Profile

I just did that and it says...

This person's profile is currently unavailable, please try again later.

A posting history is NOT a profile.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

[...]

Interesting. Thank you!!

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Jamie Pruden Jamie Pruden is offline

Good tip, Dan. I just went back and saw some of my posts from 1998. Yikes!

I guess it's true what they say... what you say on the internet lives
forever...

smiles,
Jamie

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Jamie Pruden wrote:
Good tip, Dan. I just went back and saw some of my posts from 1998. Yikes!

I guess it's true what they say... what you say on the internet lives
forever...

What's posted in Vegas, definitely DOES NOT stay in Vegas!