Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

Default Weekend Install, Sound deadener Follow up

1:30am Monday - Columbus day... Install almost done. Complete with full
interior deadening treatment. two full days solo. I still need to do up
a new box and amp rack, so probably another 2-3 hours to go next weekend.

If you recall, I was looking at using Grace Ultra underlayment for sound
deadening. Well, that roll I got for free was shot, and it turns out
that it's $200 per roll (200ft^2), and it's only 30 mils anyway. I got
to talking with the guy at the counter, and he suggested Certainteed
Winterguard HT (high temp + high tack). It's rubberized asphalt, but
doesn't stink (I even warmed it up to make sure) and it's sticky as
hell. Also, it's 45 mils. I doubled it up on the whole car for 90 mils
of death to vibration! It went on easy, and I can't smell a thing (and
I have a highly trained sniffer).

New system:
Premier DEH-860 (close to what I was looking for, but rear aux-in, and
only 1bit DAC - cheap though - $190 with warranty)- still has auto EQ
and TA. I'm still learning about all it has to offer (anybody have
experience with "network mode?")

Morel 6.2 components in front
-- Currently crossing them over with some super duper Soundstream
"system 4.3" bi-amping crossovers with attenuation control, and
"presence" selector. I'll probably go full active next weekend - I just
ran out of time

a/d/s/ 6.5's in the rear - Picked a case of these up at the Warehouse
auction when DEI took over.

2x 10" Clarion 2 ohm subs - Madisound special from long ago. Not fancy,
not super loud, but they're efficient, and have good SQ.

ESX Quantum series amps (for now)
120^2 running the Morels
60^4 running a/d/s/ and Clarion Subs (~100 wrms each @ 2 ohms)

Potential changes based on what I have sitting around:
a/d/s/ PH15 to bi-amp the Morels
ESX Q 475^1 if I decide to get higher power subs
Directed 250d if I decide to just run one sub

I'm tired.
Good night

KeithS