Sanitarium

Default Running two 6" 150W speakers from 1500W amp

thats correct, you will have to be carefull not to blow out the speakers
though... go easy on the headunit vol knob.

Garrett

JohanWagener wrote:

The way I understand it you can run a pair of 150W (30 nom) speakers off an
1500W (600RMS) at full volume without damaging the speakers.

Is this true?

Mark Zarella

The way I understand it you can run a pair of 150W (30 nom) speakers off
an
1500W (600RMS) at full volume without damaging the speakers.

Is this true?

Not generally. If the amp is truly 600 watts and the speakers can truly
handle only 30 watts, the chances are quite good that you'll blow the
speakers.

However, the amp you got ("Starsound") is probably actually rated about
50wrms x 4 at 4 ohms, huh? So much for a 1500 watt amp.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"JohanWagener" wrote:

The way I understand it you can run a pair of 150W (30 nom) speakers off an
1500W (600RMS) at full volume without damaging the speakers.

Is this true?

No. Do the math. You're 5x past the limit of the speakers at full
volume. You could burn the coil, rip the suspension, or maybe even
degauss the magnet.
JohanWagener

"Mark Zarella" seesigfile wrote in message
The way I understand it you can run a pair of 150W (30 nom) speakers off

an
1500W (600RMS) at full volume without damaging the speakers.

Is this true?

Not generally. If the amp is truly 600 watts and the speakers can truly
handle only 30 watts, the chances are quite good that you'll blow the
speakers.

However, the amp you got ("Starsound") is probably actually rated about
50wrms x 4 at 4 ohms, huh? So much for a 1500 watt amp.

Nope not really! !1500W music power. 600W RMS bridged or 100x4 unbridged.
I've seen test performed on these before I bought it. Must say for the money
I payed I'm quite impressed.

Mark Zarella

Nope not really! !1500W music power.

There's no such thing as "music power".

600W RMS bridged or 100x4 unbridged.
I've seen test performed on these before I bought it.

What kind of test?

Must say for the money
I payed I'm quite impressed.

Maybe so, but realize that it's NOT 1500 watts. So if it's 100x4, and IF it
truly delivers that output power, then powering 30 watt speakers could be
pushing it (assuming that their ratings are accurate as well).
Manufacturers, bad ones and top of the line ones, often lie about their
published specs.

JohanWagener

"Power can be measured for top to bottom of the signal (Peak, or Max, etc).
Another way to measure power is From the zero-level to the top half (usually
called music power)."

http://ccs.exl.info/frame_main.html

Mark Zarella

"Power can be measured for top to bottom of the signal (Peak, or Max,
etc).

This is in fact false. Power is defined as a time rate of energy
(Introduction to Electrodynamics, Griffiths; Classical Electrodynamics,
Jackson; Thermodynamics of Materials, Hudson; Microelectronic Circuits,
Sedra/Smith). That is, dP = DE/dt. As such, "max power", "music power",
and "peak power", though often mathematically defined as the peak
instantaneous power content of a sine wave, has no logical basis in the
physical world.

Put simply, "peak power" is defined as the power dissipated by something in
an infinitesimal period of time. That's why in audio we use terms such as
"average power" (often referred to as "RMS power", though this is a
misnomer). Average power takes the time-rate into consideration and
provides a useful parameter to us (especially when it comes to examining
heat and temperature). "Peak power", then, is nothing more than a marketing
ploy. And sorry to say, you fell for it hook, line, and sinker. You can't
do anything with "peak power". You can deliver 15 billion watts in an
infinitesimal time period to a 5 watt speaker without blowing it - of course
you'd need superconductors to come anywhere close, and it still wouldn't be
"peak power".

Another way to measure power is From the zero-level to the top half

(usually
called music power)."

"Music power". What on earth does a calculation which has no physical OR
mathematical basis have to do with music? He's arbitrarily chosen a method
of measurement and named it something. What good does such a parameter do
for us?

http://ccs.exl.info/frame_main.html

I hope the references I provided above are sufficient.

By the way, on his definition page in the references section, I count 18
errors in a matter of 9 short paragraphs (I'll list them if you want). I'd
be careful about which references you choose to pay attention to. For
future reference, you may want to bookmark the following site. It's much
more reliable.

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm

Mark Zarella

Yeah thanks Mark. Thats some good material compared to the **** I had to
read till now

Yeah, the guy (whoever he is) did a really good job with that site. And
that's a lot coming from me since I'm the most critical ******* around.

Bose 901 Review William Sommerwerck General 149 January 8th 05 04:49 PM
Outdoor Speakers MarkW General 1 May 19th 04 05:42 PM
'89 Camry Recommendation [email protected] Car Audio 5 July 14th 03 11:31 PM
Remote speakers? L-pads? Totally confused! Hogarth General 3 July 3rd 03 02:06 PM
Ford Escort Speakers? Gravity Car Audio 0 July 1st 03 01:41 AM