Jon Yaeger

Default Phase splitter speculation, con't

I've been researching the pros and cons of various types of phase splitters
.. . . .

From a theoretical perspective, I like two approaches: the Schmidt & the
Isodyne. Of those two I'm, inclined towards the Schmidt.

The cons of the Schmidt are said to include:

€ Quality of the grid decoupling capacitor is critical;
€ Tubes must be paired and from a twin tube

These don't look too difficult to overcome.

It looks like it wouldn't be too tough to build a mu-follower version of the
Schmidt. I'll probably draft one and past it on a.b.s.e.

Does anyone have any advice or experience the Schmidt TUBE topology?

Thanks

Jon

Ian Iveson

"Jon Yaeger" wrote

From a theoretical perspective, I like two approaches: the
Schmidt & the
Isodyne. Of those two I'm, inclined towards the Schmidt.

Is Schmidt a name for the LTP, or differential pair? Have you
thought of using two in cascade, with one elevated, or depressed
(what's the opposite of elevated?) to allow direct coupling
somewhere? That seems to be the modern way.

There is a fancy cross-coupled two-stage differential amp that can
use mu-followers but I still can't find it.

And is the Isodyne a concertina?

Is this a quiz?

? Quality of the grid decoupling capacitor is critical;

No more so than any other coupling capacitor, like the one on the
other grid, possibly.

? Tubes must be paired and from a twin tube

Why from a twin valve? For those who have built a few LTPs, do you
find that in practice you always need some balance adjustment, or
can you rely on matched valves and anode resistors to stay matched?

It looks like it wouldn't be too tough to build a mu-follower
version of the
Schmidt. I'll probably draft one and past it on a.b.s.e.

That would be interesting.

From a recent previous post:

Keep in mind that a mu-follower is constant-current, and so isn't
degenerated by an unbypassed cathode resistor on the bottom. So you
couldn't share a cathode resistor to help maintain balance.

cheers, Ian

John Stewart

Jon Yaeger wrote:

I've been researching the pros and cons of various types of phase split=

ters
. . . .

From a theoretical perspective, I like two approaches: the Schmidt & t=

he
Isodyne. Of those two I'm, inclined towards the Schmidt.

The cons of the Schmidt are said to include:

=80 Quality of the grid decoupling capacitor is critical;
=80 Tubes must be paired and from a twin tube

These don't look too difficult to overcome.

It looks like it wouldn't be too tough to build a mu-follower version o=

f the
Schmidt. I'll probably draft one and past it on a.b.s.e.

Does anyone have any advice or experience the Schmidt TUBE topology=

?

Thanks

Jon

Fpr the real deal look at
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/split.htm

JLS

Ian Iveson wrote:
deleted
For those who have built a few LTPs, do you
find that in practice you always need some balance adjustment, or
can you rely on matched valves and anode resistors to stay matched?

The inbalance of a LTP is not because of mis-match of the tubes or the
plate resistors in that even if you use a _perfectly matched_ pairs,
there will still be inbalance. The solution is either use a very large
resistance at the tail or a pair of very high gain devices. A constant
current source has a very large resistance or use a very negative
supply where the other end of the tail resistor is connected and thus
you can use a resistor of large value for the tail resistor.

K. L.

Iain M Churches

"Ian Iveson" wrote in message
.uk...

For those who have built a few LTPs, do you find that in practice you
always need some balance adjustment, or can you rely on matched valves and
anode resistors to stay matched?

I like to have the balance pot, sum the output on a dual beam
scope, and tweak.

Iain

Ian Iveson

"Jon Yaeger" wrote

Fpr the real deal look at
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/split.htm

Thanks, John. That's what I've been looking at!

Aha. The isodyne is a version of the paraphase, I see. Same advice
about mu-followers as last time: the main benefit would be for the
first valve, which is the only one without feedback. Except where
does its grid resistor go...what's going on there? Just for bias?
Must have a low input impedance...235k presumably, and the input cap
is necessary.

You could use mu-followers instead of CFs for stacks of gain,
perhaps?

cheers, Ian

Ian Iveson

see Kimmel's paper for a differential mu-stage:

http://www7.taosnet.com/f10/mustage.html

last page.

cheers, Ian

Jim McDonald

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message

I've been researching the pros and cons of various types of phase

splitters
. . . .

From a theoretical perspective, I like two approaches: the Schmidt & the
Isodyne. Of those two I'm, inclined towards the Schmidt.

The cons of the Schmidt are said to include:

? Quality of the grid decoupling capacitor is critical;
? Tubes must be paired and from a twin tube

These don't look too difficult to overcome.

It looks like it wouldn't be too tough to build a mu-follower version of

the
Schmidt. I'll probably draft one and past it on a.b.s.e.

Does anyone have any advice or experience the Schmidt TUBE topology?

Thanks

Jon

Well ,, I know bugger all and everybody will tell me I am wrong but who
cares ...

The LTP/Schmitt/paraphase/CCS tail or however you want to draw them all,
splits phase and gives gain

Two functions in one stage = less stages = one less time you need to turn
the signal upside down = it's more stable with NFB... etc, etc ... seen all
the arguments ..

Sorry ..there are just too many components in there and too many variables
for me to even consider this layout ... played with a test, splitter
chassis for twelve months ...

Result .. sorry ....

A concertina is too simple to ignore and the valve is irrelevant .. any low
Mu valve will do .. the OP impedances are different but that's easy to sort

I cannot surround my valves with lots of 10% passives and expect any sense
out of them ..

DTN Williamson was far too clever for his own time ..

The music has to go through all these bits .. the less you have ... the
better it sounds ..

cheers
jim

Chris Hornbeck

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:21:02 +1100, Patrick Turner
wrote:

A differential pair amp, or LTP ( long tail pair)
needs to have exactly equal RLs to each side, and a CCS "tail"
from the commoned cathodes, and need only be driven at one grid,
and the output voltage will be equal amplitude from each anode.

The tubes can be virtually anything, 6AU6 in triode on one side,
12AU7 on the other.

The only result of different devices on each side of the LTP diff amp
is the rise of 2H due to the unbalanced distortion currents.

No, not really *anything*. The diff pair needs to have exactly
equal transconductances, too. Imbalance in Gm results in imbalance
in output signal. But you know that.

Chris Hornbeck
Chris Hornbeck

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/split.htm

FWIW, that page is riddled with errors.

Chris Hornbeck
Patrick Turner

wrote:

A differential pair amp, or LTP ( long tail pair)
needs to have exactly equal RLs to each side, and a CCS "tail"
from the commoned cathodes, and need only be driven at one grid,
and the output voltage will be equal amplitude from each anode.

The tubes can be virtually anything, 6AU6 in triode on one side,
12AU7 on the other.

The only result of different devices on each side of the LTP diff amp
is the rise of 2H due to the unbalanced distortion currents.

No, not really *anything*. The diff pair needs to have exactly
equal transconductances, too. Imbalance in Gm results in imbalance
in output signal. But you know that.

Nope. Each device for each half can have very unmatched gM, which is why I
have cited
trioded 6AU6 and 12AU7.

The LTP with a CCS **must** have equal current *change* in either
device, since the sum of the cathode currents is zero.

So if you have +1mA in one side of the LTP, you must get -1mA in the other
side
because the combined currents at the cathode are zero, and regardless of
voltage changes at the
common cathode, there is no current change in the CCS tail.
No currents flow in the grid circuits.
So the +ve and -ve output voltages are equal if the tube current changes
are equal
and the RLs are equal.

But the *voltage* gains of each triode might be different.

Where you have a balanced voltage amp with a "short" tail,
as one does in the Williamson, with a 1kohm R from commoned cathodes
to 0V, you need substantial input voltage equality for output equality,
and the differences in gm do matter a little, since the curcuit cannot
balance itself
like one can when a CCS is used.

But usually the Williamson has negligible imbalance.
But such a voltage amp as used in a W cannot be driven one side only;
The output voltages will be very different.
For balance without a CCS, as in the case of the Mullard 520 and
derivatives,
you need about 10k from the commoned cathodes to 0V at least,
and the two RLs are quite different value for balance.
As one grid is driven, about 1/2 the input voltage appears at the
common cathodes, and no signal appears at the other grounded grid.
The voltage across the 10k tail causes a current change which when added
to the
current in the second, or grounded grid triode, will equal the current
change in the
first or input triode.
To get balance, the load of the first tube must be less than RL of the
second.

This makes the gains of the two tubes slightly different, and the 2H
cannot perfectly cancel.
But many brands use this old "cathode coupled differential pair",
since its so simple and effective, and the gain of the first input grid
with respect to its anode signal is about 1/2 the gain of one triode.
Therefore the miller capacitance for the single input LTP is half
what it otherwise would be.

Patrick Turner.

Chris Hornbeck

Chris Hornbeck

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:12:36 +1100, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Nope. Each device for each half can have very unmatched gM, which is why I
have cited
trioded 6AU6 and 12AU7.

The LTP with a CCS **must** have equal current *change* in either
device, since the sum of the cathode currents is zero.

And transconductance times load equals gain, so for balanced
loads, you must have balanced transconductances.

Chris Hornbeck
Ian Iveson

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote

Slightly at cross purposes maybe.

The LTP with a CCS **must** have equal current *change* in either
device, since the sum of the cathode currents is zero.

And transconductance times load equals gain, so for balanced
loads, you must have balanced transconductances.

So I can replace the valve with a resistor. As long as it has the
same load resistor above it, and the cathode of the remaining valve
below it. The LTP is just a folded concertina, after all. A wet
carrot would work just as well.

As long as the anode and output loads are perfectly matched at all
frequencies and amplitudes, and the CCS has infinite resistance at
all frequencies and amplitudes, and I don't need two inputs, and the
ECC82 doesn't mind the non-linear behaviour of the carrot, which is
why they are rarely considered fit for audio these days.

cheers, Ian

John Byrns

wrote:

Nope. Each device for each half can have very unmatched gM, which is why I
have cited
trioded 6AU6 and 12AU7.

The LTP with a CCS **must** have equal current *change* in either
device, since the sum of the cathode currents is zero.

And transconductance times load equals gain, so for balanced
loads, you must have balanced transconductances.

In addition to the transconductance and load the grid drive to each tube
also figures into the equation. The flaw in your reasoning is that you
are assuming that the grid drive to each tube is the same.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/
Chris Hornbeck

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 02:26:46 GMT, "Ian Iveson"
wrote:

And transconductance times load equals gain, so for balanced
loads, you must have balanced transconductances.

So I can replace the valve with a resistor. As long as it has the
same load resistor above it, and the cathode of the remaining valve
below it. The LTP is just a folded concertina, after all. A wet
carrot would work just as well.

Do you know the term "transconductance"?

As long as the anode and output loads are perfectly matched at all
frequencies and amplitudes, and the CCS has infinite resistance at
all frequencies and amplitudes, and I don't need two inputs, and the
ECC82 doesn't mind the non-linear behaviour of the carrot, which is
why they are rarely considered fit for audio these days.

Let me rephrase my statement for the deliberately obtuse:

"For equal output levels and with equal output loads, gains
must be equal, so transconductances must be equal."

Jeez, guys, just look it up. It 101.

Chris Hornbeck
Patrick Turner

wrote:

Nope. Each device for each half can have very unmatched gM, which is why I
have cited
trioded 6AU6 and 12AU7.

The LTP with a CCS **must** have equal current *change* in either
device, since the sum of the cathode currents is zero.

And transconductance times load equals gain, so for balanced
loads, you must have balanced transconductances.

I still think you are confused.
for triodes, gain isn't merely Gm x RL.
Gain = U x RL / ( RL + Ra ).
This formula applies to all tubes, including pentodes,
and where Ra is so much higher than RL that it can be ignored for
approximate gain calculations, and so gain = gm x RL for a pentode.
U = amplification factor = gm x Ra.
One has to be aware of the 3 items involved with any tube,
its gm, Ra, and U.

As I said in a post just before this one, the gains of each half
of the LTP with CCS and equal RL isn't the same with
tubes of different U, gm, or Ra.
The gain is the output voltage divided by the voltage between the grid and
cathode.
With two very different tube types in an LTP the vgk is very different,
but the load output voltage amplitudes remain quite equal.

If you still don't believe me, try making a circuit with 12AT7 in one side of
the LTP
and 12AU7 in the other.
Use a CCS tail and equal RLs.
You need to maybe place a resistor and bypass cap between the 12AU7
and CCS because the cathode bias required by the 12AU7
will be about twice that needed by the 12AT7.
Once set up with equal idle current in each 1/2 of the LTP, you can measure
the circuit easily with 1 kHz signal.

I don't want to prove mathematically what I know is true,
but I am sure you could do it for yourself if you
are able to apply the above gain formula for a triode.

Patrick Turner.

Chris Hornbeck

Chris Hornbeck

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:37:59 +1100, Patrick Turner
wrote:

I still think you are confused.
for triodes, gain isn't merely Gm x RL.
Gain = U x RL / ( RL + Ra ).
This formula applies to all tubes, including pentodes,
and where Ra is so much higher than RL that it can be ignored for
approximate gain calculations, and so gain = gm x RL for a pentode.
U = amplification factor = gm x Ra.
One has to be aware of the 3 items involved with any tube,
its gm, Ra, and U.

You've almost but not completely worn me out. Your case is
correct with an infinite plate resistance or a zero
external load resistance. Otherwise no. Please do the math.

I'm tired and cranky and gone. Bye.

Chris Hornbeck
Patrick Turner

Ian Iveson wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, using a resistor or wet carrot
in place of a triode in an LTP with equal RL and CCS tail
will NOT give equal amplitude but oppositely phased outputs.

A resistor or carrot has no inverting amplifier ability, something
needed to the LTP
to work as an LTP.

If you think you have a suitable mathematical proof to proove a resistor

works, then proceed to educate me further.

Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner

Patrick Turner wrote:

Ian Iveson wrote:

[...]

I need to reply to myself, since not all of what
Ian said was wrong.

Consider the use of a single 1/2 of an 6SN7 triode with RL = 50k, IaQ = 2
mA,
and cathode taken to CCS tail with 4 mA.
Then we could have a carrot with 100k resistance, and another RL of 50k
to the B+, in this case let it be +300v, so with 2 mA in each RL
the anode and 50k-100k junction are both sitting on +200v.

If there is a -50v signal at the 50k-100k junction, there is a signal
current of
1 ma in the 50k, so at the cathode of the tube, bottom of the 100k carrot,
there must be a -150v signal.
Then since there is no current change in the CCS, there must be a
1 mA change in the tube, and the anode voltage change is +50v.
The load seen by the tube is 50k plus 150k effectively, so gain is
say 19 for a 6SN7, so the Vgk needed to produce the 200v change across the
tube
is 10.52 v, so the whole grid input voltage to give both the +/-50v output
voltages
at each 50k is -160.52v.

If the 100k was bypassed with a large electro, then the
situation is quite different, but then similar to a concertina
phase inverter, because the cathode load has been moved so
it is working with a differently biased load, but a load equal to the anode
load
of this lone triode.
So then the circuit is a true concertina phase inverter,
which needs about -55.2 v of input to make +50v at the anode, and -50v at
the "carrot" output.

It is not in any way able to work as a differential amplifier.

Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner

wrote:

I still think you are confused.
for triodes, gain isn't merely Gm x RL.
Gain = U x RL / ( RL + Ra ).
This formula applies to all tubes, including pentodes,
and where Ra is so much higher than RL that it can be ignored for
approximate gain calculations, and so gain = gm x RL for a pentode.
U = amplification factor = gm x Ra.
One has to be aware of the 3 items involved with any tube,
its gm, Ra, and U.

You've almost but not completely worn me out. Your case is
correct with an infinite plate resistance or a zero
external load resistance. Otherwise no. Please do the math.

I have done the math.

And I have done the practical experiment that prooves I am right.

I'm tired and cranky and gone. Bye.

When you return, you'll be fresh and wide awake, and i hope you find
some time
to do a little experimenting in your workshop.

Patrick Turner.

Chris Hornbeck

Ian Iveson

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote

Let me rephrase my statement for the deliberately obtuse:

"For equal output levels and with equal output loads, gains
must be equal, so transconductances must be equal."

Don't pick on me, I'm just taking the ****.

Sarcastic irony never really took off in the colonies...

I was trying to support you in your struggle against the forces of
dimwit.

But it is true anyway, as far as it goes. Equal transconwotsit isn't
necessary for *balance*, as long as everything else is equal. A
resistor would work, as far as balance goes. In every other way it
would be a poor substitute.

An open circuit would give a balanced output of plus and minus zero,
as would a short. Anything between would give a non-zero, balanced
output. Best match would presumably be a resistor of value equal to
the static resistance of the valve, to give equal static currents.

An active device would also work. After all,

The LTP with a CCS **must** have equal current *change* in either
device, since the sum of the cathode currents is zero.

So a pentagrid octode with five foreign signals would be fine, and
equal to the carrot in every respect as far as balance goes. You
would still get the same signal from both outputs. Just wouldn't be
the one you put in, that's all.

Every "*must*" begs for a reductio ad absurdam.

Patrick Turner sold the worst design of LTP in the world, ever.
What's missing here is that the condition of "everything else equal"
can't be met, especially if you are driving an output stage.

That's why it is usual to design stages with a low output impedance
compared to the input of the following stage. Equal, linear loads
can't be relied upon.

It is also why two LTPs in cascade is fashionable I think. If one is
used for driving a significant load, then it should have balanced
input signals. Another used to drive the first will see an easy
load, and so can be driven with unequal signals.

Matching *is* important for linearity and power supply rejection.

Do you know the term "transconductance"?

er...I'll look it up when I check "obtuse".

Jeez, guys, just look it up. It 101.

What, transconthingumy, or obtuse?

cheers, Ian

Ian Iveson

"John Byrns" wrote

...No, I am positing that each of the two tubes have differing
transconductance and plate resistance, I am assuming only that the
load
resistors for the two tubes are equal....

No, you are also assuming that the driven loads are equal, because
they are in in parallel with the load resistors.

cheers, Ian

Patrick Turner

Ian Iveson wrote:

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote

[...]

In defense of my name, and the allegedly frightful LTP
associated with it, let me say that we have your
alegations duly noted, and will report them to the Privvy Council
and House of Lords in due course.

We will be countering with a claim that on Gord Frayday, Marche, 2005,
thou didst endeavour to unconscioubaly use the news group
as an innappropriate selling venue for goods
not approved under the Fruit and Vegetable Act, 1907, namely, that
you tried to sell damp carrots, and well under the market price,
and with the accompanying grossly fraudelent claim that
they could be used as replacements for electronic components,
thus perhaps endangering lives and contrary to the
Safety Laws of Her Majestie's Realms, ie, the Bwitish Isles and Her
Colonies.

Patrick Turnip.

That's why it is usual to design stages with a low output impedance
compared to the input of the following stage. Equal, linear loads
can't be relied upon.

It is also why two LTPs in cascade is fashionable I think. If one is
used for driving a significant load, then it should have balanced
input signals. Another used to drive the first will see an easy
load, and so can be driven with unequal signals.

Matching *is* important for linearity and power supply rejection.

Do you know the term "transconductance"?

er...I'll look it up when I check "obtuse".

Jeez, guys, just look it up. It 101.

What, transconthingumy, or obtuse?

cheers, Ian

John Stewart

For the real deal look at
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/split.htm

JLS

See ABSE for a differential pair implemented with dissimilar tubes.
As long as the cathode return for the LTP is a real current source & the tubes are
not overloaded the outputs will be equal for equal loads.

Problems arise as the weaker tube runs into overload.

Real problems with drift in a DC amplifier.

JLS

John Byrns

In article , wrote:

For the real deal look at
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/split.htm

JLS

See ABSE for a differential pair implemented with dissimilar tubes.
As long as the cathode return for the LTP is a real current source & the

tubes are
not overloaded the outputs will be equal for equal loads.

Problems arise as the weaker tube runs into overload.

Real problems with drift in a DC amplifier.

John,

It might help some of the disbelievers understand how this circuit
actually works if you included the signal voltage at the common cathode
node so that they could observe the unequal grid drive.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/
BFoelsch

"John Stewart" wrote in message
For the real deal look at
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/split.htm

JLS

See ABSE for a differential pair implemented with dissimilar tubes.
As long as the cathode return for the LTP is a real current source & the

tubes are
not overloaded the outputs will be equal for equal loads.

Problems arise as the weaker tube runs into overload.

Real problems with drift in a DC amplifier.

JLS

If the current source is perfect, the 6SN7 can be replaced by a
cathode-anode short and the output will still be perfectly balanced (AC
wise, of course), will it not?

John Stewart

John Byrns wrote:

In article , wrote:

For the real deal look at
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/split.htm

JLS

See ABSE for a differential pair implemented with dissimilar tubes.
As long as the cathode return for the LTP is a real current source & the

tubes are
not overloaded the outputs will be equal for equal loads.

Problems arise as the weaker tube runs into overload.

Real problems with drift in a DC amplifier.

John,

It might help some of the disbelievers understand how this circuit
actually works if you included the signal voltage at the common cathode
node so that they could observe the unequal grid drive.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/

Over at ABSE. I made the VM at the cathodes 100 Megs so things stayed more or
less CC. Interestingly, if you switch the tube positions the gain to each plate
becomes 1.508.

If both triodes are 6SN7's the gain to each plate is 7.2.

For both as 6SL7 the gain to each plate is 16.

Cheers, John

John Stewart

BFoelsch wrote:

"John Stewart" wrote in message
For the real deal look at
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/split.htm

JLS

See ABSE for a differential pair implemented with dissimilar tubes.
As long as the cathode return for the LTP is a real current source & the

tubes are
not overloaded the outputs will be equal for equal loads.

Problems arise as the weaker tube runs into overload.

Real problems with drift in a DC amplifier.

JLS

If the current source is perfect, the 6SN7 can be replaced by a
cathode-anode short and the output will still be perfectly balanced (AC
wise, of course), will it not?

An interesting concept. The current in the tubes follow the 3/2 power law,
while a short (piece) of wire would be linear, I guess. That should make for
more discussion.

Cheers, John Stewart

John Stewart

John Stewart wrote:

BFoelsch wrote:

[...]

Thinking about that a little further, I believe there would be no gain at all.
The current in the 6SL7 cathode circuit is held constant, as though connected to
a very large value resistor. So I guess you get massive cathode degeneration &
no output at the plate at all.

JLS

Chris Hornbeck

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:47:12 GMT, "Ian Iveson"
wrote:

Don't pick on me, I'm just taking the ****.

Sarcastic irony never really took off in the colonies...

Please forgive me for any rudeness, which was certainly
uncalled for. And anyways unforgivable. But please try.

We're "two peoples divided by a common language."
Churchill? He said most of the really cool things that
W.S. was too dead for. Or was it Wilde or Noel Coward?
Dead cert it wasn't Flanders and Swann, or I'd quote 'em.

arguments snipped for bandwidth

If I'm following you, and possibly John also, correctly
your argument is based on the perfect CCS's ability to
maintain a constant *sum* of the two plate currents.

The CCS magic extends to proportionately varying each
(active transconductance) device's actual, real, measurable
grid-to-cathode-or-whatever-semiconductor-appendage-applies
voltage in the magically correct amount as to send
balanced, meaning equal amplitude, opposite polarity
CURRENTS to the device's output. All good.

And:
When we think about what "the device's output" really
means, in the context of a transconductance device, the
shouting will die down some.

I'm sorry to be so bloody dogmatic about such a trivial
thing, but the newsgroup is lately overrun with terrible
Through the Looking Glass ideas about all kinds of things.

Fight the Wackiness!

Chris Hornbeck
John Stewart

John Stewart wrote:

John Stewart wrote:

BFoelsch wrote:

[...]

Actually, with only 5 ma in the CC source, all of that would run thru the 27K that
was in the 6SN7 plate circuit & pull the 6SL7 cathode up so that the 6SL7 would be
cut off. To get the 6SL7 turned on you would need something like 11 ma from the CC
source to get the 6SL7 biased on. That would get it's cathode down to +3 volts so
conduction could begin. JLS

Ian Iveson

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote

...To hammer the issue into the ground, gain is the product of
transconductance and effective load resistance. There is no
tap-dancing around this fundamental fact....

No-one has said the gain is equal. It doesn't have to be, for
balance. The valves are both in closed-loop feedback circuits.

What happens to the valve in order to lead to a balanced output into
equal loads is neither here nor there. Ohms law trumps all: equal
currents into equal loads results in equal output voltages. Full
stop.

So you have to fit what you know about transconductance around that
fact, not vice versa. Ohms law is not tap dancing.

At least one John has unravelled the conundrum, potentially. The CCS
works by varying its output voltage in order to achieve the correct
constant current. So the voltage at the cathodes varies until both
valves pass the same current. This is possible because the valve
receiving the signal at its grid perceives the consequent cathode
voltage as negative feedback.

One thing we have missed out, BTW, is the capacitance to the grids.
Current lost to or gained from the grids from or to anodes and
cathodes is not accounted for so far.

cheers, Ian

Chris Hornbeck

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 06:01:31 GMT, "Ian Iveson"
wrote:

All OK up to he

So the voltage at the cathodes varies until both
valves pass the same current. This is possible because the valve
receiving the signal at its grid perceives the consequent cathode
voltage as negative feedback.

You're either yanking my chain, or your model is flawed.
Although inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt and
believe the former, I'll respond to the latter.

Don't overthink this. It's not anything new and it's not even
interesting. The division of voltages across the diff-pair
of transconductance devices is purely algebraic and inversely
proportional to their transconductances. Period. No magic,
no feedback. It's a simple voltage divider.

A voltage appears across a pair of series'd transconductance
devices' inputs. The voltage is divided between the pair in inverse
linear proportion to their transconductances.

Each device's share of the voltage generates an output
current that is the product of its share of the voltage
and its transconductance.

The gain of each device is the simple linear product of its
transconductance and its load impedance.

Guys, there just isn't any more to it than this. No handwaving
is necessary or allowed.

Chris Hornbeck
"Excuse me, since when is getting paid for it not USING the property?"
-Bob Olhsson