Jonathan Klein

Default Need help with Alpine 8025A

I have an old Alpine 8025A alarm in my 1993 Civic SI. (The alarm might
actually be an 8026A).

I started having problems with it a while back. What was happening was it
was not disarming from the remote. However, it was an intermittant problem,
at first only happening once in a while and not very serious. All I would do
was hit the button on the remote a few more times and it would eventually
disarm. Mysteriously, arming with the remote was no problem.

Slowly the problem got worse until one day it would not disarm at all when I
was in a packed grocery store parking lot. I had to open the door,
triggering the alarm, and fumble around for the valet switch to shut it off
while passers by gave me odd looks.

I changed the batteries in both remotes and tried each of them but still had
the same intermittant problem. The alarm was essentially useless since I
couldn't risk being in another situation where it refused to disarm.

I thought the installation might have been the problem since it was
installed by a dealership where the car was purchased, not a place that
installs alarms. So I brought it to an alarm shop and had them re-do the
installation. Unfortunately the problem did not go away.

To me it looks like the brain is toast. However, I am not an expert in
alarms and perhaps the problem is a simple fix. So I thought I would post to
this group and find out if anyone here has any ideas on what the problem
might be.

-Jonathan Klein

Paul Vina

I'll bet it's the chip in the remote or the one in the brain. Either it's
bad or not seated properly. I used to get this all the time. I would find
a local Alpine dealer and see if he has the chips, or a replacement remote.
I would code it to the customers car to see if that was it before I sold it
to them as well.

Paul Vina

"Jonathan Klein" wrote in message
newsOOMb.78344$X%5.4302@pd7tw2no...
[...]

Jonathan

Thanks for the reply.

It probably isn't the chip in the remote since I have two remotes and
I am having the same problem with both. Unless by fluke the chip in
both remotes went bad at about the same time.

But, you say it could be a problem with a chip in the brain, possibly
not seated properly. Correct?

Should I open the brain up and see if there are any chips loose? Do
you know which chip?

-Jonathan

"Paul Vina" wrote in message news:oTXMb.42640$Rc4.167269@attbi_s54...
[...]

Paul Vina

If you want to know what the chip in the brain looks like, open one of the
transmitters up. It'll be the only part in there that looks like it will
come out and it will be connected into a small plastic receiver to hold it
into place. It should be visible as soon as you open the transmitter, but if
not, try looking on the other side of the circuit board, it just pops out.
The one in the brain is exactly the same.

Paul Vina

om...

"Paul Vina" wrote in message

[...]

Jonathan Klein

My transmitters are model no 8426A. I opened one up to look for the chip you
are referring to. However, I didn't see anything that looks like it will pop
out. Eerything is soldered on to the board. The only thing that looks like
it might come off without melting solder is a small circular thing. It looks
like the head of a screw, about 3/32" in diameter, with a slot accross the
top. I think it is a miniature rheostat that can be adjusted using a
screwdriver. I don't think it is a chip.

There is a 20 pin rectangular chip on the underside of the board, soldered
on however. I will assume this is the one to look for in the brain.

-Jonathan

"Paul Vina" wrote in message

[...]

Paul Vina

Looks lke you got the newer, revised transmitters. I doubt you'll find a
chip in the brain either if youhave the new transmitters. I'd hit up a
local Alpine dealer and have them try to code a new transmitter. If it
accepts them it was the transmitters, if not, it's the brain. BTW, did you
change the batteries?