scat131

Default buying a headunit

okay yesterday i went to my local car audio dealer (Suburban) and told
them what i want for my headunit that im going to buy..

1) AUX inputs so that i can plug in my portable mp3 player directly to
the headunit

2) incase the AUX/mp3 player sound bad, it must also have a CD player
with cdr capability

3) under $300

the two he told me they had that were what i wanted were the

Panasonic CQDFX883
Alpine CDA9807

So here is what I need help with. Which of these two is the better
headunit? If they both suck, whats a good alternative route ( new
dealer, internet, etc), however keep in mind i dont have the slightest
clue of how to install it myself so id rather pay the extra money and
have a dealer install it for me.

Info about my car:
97 Chevy Cavalier
Stock EVERYTHING
--
scat131
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=160938

InferiorWang

Alpines are good quality head units. I believe Pioneers will also have
everything you need. I'm just not sure which models come with the aux
in.
--
InferiorWang
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=160938

scat131

pioneer isnt one of my choices
--
scat131
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=160938

Soundfreak03

pioneer isnt one of my choices
--

Well thats useless. Give a reason why?
Pioneer is one of my choices. I like the OEL displays. The Premier units have

Les
sanitarium

Time to find another installer with more choices...

"scat131" wrote in message
s.com...
pioneer isnt one of my choices
--
scat131
View this thread:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=160938

InferiorWang

you can go many different places to get head units. Circuit City is a
pretty good place to go and if you go there at the right time they will
install for free.
--
InferiorWang
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=160938

sanitarium

Play with them and form your own oppinion. So much of "whats better" is
entirely subjective. What I like, most likely will not be the same as what
you like.

I prefer heads with built in subwoofer crossovers. 4V preout is preferable
as is front/rear preamp outputs. I could care less for a built in amp or CD
changer controls. Equalization and EQ presets are not important to me. I
prefer as many controls/buttons on the left side as possible, and the
display on the right. Its easier for me to reach between shifts. Tuner
performance is not high on the priority list. I would pass up on any
colored lights and fancy displays If they can not be seen in bright
sunlight.

Garrett

"scat131" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

scat131

Well thats useless. Give a reason why?

try reading my origional post

maybe i shouldve been more clear in my post, im just looking for anyone
that has had any experience or knows anything about the two headunits
that i have to choose from
--
scat131
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=160938

ChrisAG

I don't know about Panasonic, but the Alpine 9807 is a nice unit. Great
sound quality, and the controls are easy to use by feel (compared to
Pioneer, at least), and it has a nice functional display. I have not
hooked up any accessories to it, so I can't comment on how your separate
MP3 player would work (but the 9807 can play MP3 encoded CDs). I would
have kept the 9807 but the silver finish didn't match my car's interior,
so I went up to the 9811 (which is practically the same, but with a
motorized face and a few additional features).
--
ChrisAG
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=160938

InferiorWang

I still don't understand why you have to by FROM THAT ONE PLACE. You
can look other places for head units with the same features. Alpines
are good heads that usually come with the features you want and so are
pioneers. I prefer pioneer because of the layout of the button, but
what you want should be based on your preferences after you find out ALL
the heads that you can choose from.
--
InferiorWang
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=160938

Brandon Buckner

This probably doesn't help, but I used to be a big Panasonic fan back
when they made excellent HUs for a decent price and actually looked
good. Then the quality/features/look went to hell and the price went up.
At that point I switched to Alpine and have been pretty happy since.
With this post I looked back upon Panasonics current offerings, and I'm
glad to say they seem to have gotten rid of the crap that made me
switch. If they are truly going back to their glory days, the Panasonic
would be an excellent HU. Otherwise, if they are still cheesy to the
touch, I'd go with the Alpine.

Brandonb

scat131 wrote:

[...]

scat131

the reason i would like to get it from this one place is because its
right around the corner from me. I have no idea how to install it
myself so buying off the internet isnt really an option even though its
much cheaper. I suppose i could look in the phone book and find other
car audio shops but apparently the two HU's that they have that fit my
requirements are both decent headunits from the posts I've seen, however
they're both between 250-300 dollars so I am going to shop around a bit
I think before I buy either one of these.
--
scat131
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=160938

scat131

well as it turns out i have to buy it from this place cuz its the only
one around here.. ne1 else have experience with either of the two
headunits?
--
scat131
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=160938

Paul Vina

I would go with the Alpine. I sold both side-by-side and I like the Alpine
better. It sounded better, looked better and was easier to use. Alpine all
the way in my book.

Paul Vina

"scat131" wrote in message
s.com...
well as it turns out i have to buy it from this place cuz its the only
one around here.. ne1 else have experience with either of the two
headunits?
--
scat131
View this thread:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=160938

dewittdan2

[metal] [metal] You might also look at the JVC Kdsx990 - it has the mp3
input on it and also plays mp3's on disc also - has 2 sets of outputs,
and the list goes on - retail price of $249 but I know you can get it
cheaper depending on where you live (I am a distributor for JVC and
sell to different parts of the country and could tell you where to go
for the best deal.

--
dewittdan2

scat131

well i live in jersey across the bridge from philly about 15 mins from
the city, right next to camden if you know where that is (haddonfield),
i checked the phone book for car audio shops and i found 4 but the only
one that isnt atleast a 40 minute ride and that i actually know how to
get to is the one that ive been talking about
--
scat131
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=160938

NEED INFO: Source for buying Speaker Foam/Rubber SURROUNDS ? unc80 General 0 March 1st 04 03:47 PM
Headunit brand? Rocky Rinker Car Audio 10 October 13th 03 11:28 PM
buying a headunit scat131 Car Audio 4 August 25th 03 08:29 PM
Nissan headunit with aftermarket speakers BeeP Car Audio 0 July 23rd 03 10:19 PM
Pioneer IP-BUS daisy chain... Pioneer headunit + AUX + Pioneer XM tuner... HELP! Tom R Car Audio 2 July 12th 03 03:18 PM