2mb

Default Dream job?

Become a well known mix engineer. A lot of people like Massenberg and some
other very famous mix engineers travel quite a bit. Of course you need the
requisite string of chart climbing mixes to get there.

DSP software development is also very hot these days, but might not be much
easier to get into. Don't get scared off by the job requirements though.
Some places are happy just to find a programmer who is competent, industry
sector specific experience is usually pie in the sky for employers.

You could also get an apprenticeship for live sound reinforcement somewhere.
If you end up on tour with David Bowie or something, that would be real
cool. I have a buddy that does that sort of thing for a living, and is
mixing live sound for some big names. If you want me to get you in touch
with him...I could pass on your email. He may be able to help you,
especially since you are fresh out of classes.

"Greg Benson" wrote in message

G'day...
I'm seeking some advice. I recently graduated from a program studying
music/audio technology. I have also studied electronics and computers
extensively. With some luck and savings, I've also had the privilege of
traveling to a few different countries over the years.
My query is this: does anyone know of any jobs or fields that would

combine
my loves of audio, technology, and travel?
Am I a dreamer? I hope I'm not the only one...

Greg Benson

"2mb" wrote in message
link.net...
DSP software development is also very hot these days, but might not be

much
easier to get into. Don't get scared off by the job requirements though.
Some places are happy just to find a programmer who is competent, industry
sector specific experience is usually pie in the sky for employers.

Good to know. I've been thinking about this route anyway. I'm not worried
about the requirements, I've been programming for a long time. Electrical
eng. degree to boot.
But... do you think that software developers get to travel very much?
Hell is sitting in front of the same computer screen , day after day, nine
to five...

You could also get an apprenticeship for live sound reinforcement

somewhere.
If you end up on tour with David Bowie or something, that would be real
cool. I have a buddy that does that sort of thing for a living, and is
mixing live sound for some big names. If you want me to get you in touch
with him...I could pass on your email. He may be able to help you,
especially since you are fresh out of classes.

That's very kind of you, thank you.
What region would your friend be in? I'm western Canada right now...

Cheers,
greg

dickydoo

You can also run the stage lighting from a computer.
"Greg Benson" wrote in message
newskrxb.506942$pl3.159979@pd7tw3no...
"2mb" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Mike E.

snip
Hell is sitting in front of the same computer screen , day after day,
nine to five...

As I have experienced the wonderful American economy and corperate
structure, being a programmer is diffcult. Software companies don't know
what they want, and they usually don't know how to get there. They jump on
fads and dump all their money into them. Then, when countless millions of
other people surpass you while you're wasting your time with a company
going nowhere, you'll lose your job... and you might be so lucky to get
work as a data entry clerk, like me. My life is Hell in the exact sense
that you have implied it. Before you know it, insanity will be called
"going software," instead of "going postal."

snip