Posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default HELP! Forgot the name of this organization...

My parents' neighbor(who is a sound head like I) mentioned a series of
CDs out there that were burned DIRECTLY from studio master tapes - NOT
remasters or anything like that. He mentioned an acronym for a
standard or organization - four letters - that I should have written
down before we parted for the evening. "AEFS" or something like this.

Here's the catch: I WILL remember it in about a year, but I can't wait
for my early alzheimers to catch up. Does anyone here know what I'm
referring to??

Thanks

-ChrisCoaster
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

ChrisCoaster wrote:

My parents' neighbor(who is a sound head like I) mentioned a series of
CDs out there that were burned DIRECTLY from studio master tapes - NOT
remasters or anything like that. He mentioned an acronym for a
standard or organization - four letters - that I should have written
down before we parted for the evening. "AEFS" or something like this.

Here's the catch: I WILL remember it in about a year, but I can't wait
for my early alzheimers to catch up. Does anyone here know what I'm
referring to??

Thanks

-ChrisCoaster

http://www.barryrudolph.com/newtoys/toys/parsons.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro

--
shut up and play your guitar *http://hankalrich.com/http://www.you...HankandShaidri

__________________
No, not quite! This is an organization that puts out a series of CDs
that are direct from studio master, and they probably cost more too.
I'm not sure if they are SACDs, been to that site already. I just
need the acronym for that organization.
-CC
Posted to rec.audio.pro
haligonab haligonab is offline

ChrisCoaster wrote:
[...]

Hi Chris,

I'm going to take a stab at this and guess Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs
or MFSL. Sound familiar?

Steve
Posted to rec.audio.pro

ChrisCoaster wrote:
[...]

The Soundcheck CD contains many tacks taken directly from Alan's
multitrack masters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

ChrisCoaster wrote:
My parents' neighbor(who is a sound head like I) mentioned a series of
CDs out there that were burned DIRECTLY from studio master tapes - NOT
remasters or anything like that. He mentioned an acronym for a
standard or organization - four letters - that I should have written
down before we parted for the evening. "AEFS" or something like this.

Here's the catch: I WILL remember it in about a year, but I can't wait
for my early alzheimers to catch up. Does anyone here know what I'm
referring to??

Lots of folks have done that. Some of the best have been the XRCD series
from JVC. Direct-To-Tape Recording in NJ used to do it.

And if you call Folkways, they will run you off a CD-R dub from a master
tape of any of the Folkways albums. It's part of Moses Asch's stipulations
for donating them in his will that they have to make copies of everything
in the catalogue available and never let anything go out of print.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

shut up and play your guitar *http://hankalrich.com/http://www.you...qXcV9DYAchttp:...

__________________
No, not quite! *This is an organization that puts out a series of CDs
that are direct from studio master, and they probably cost more too.
I'm not sure if they are SACDs, been to that site already. *I just
need the acronym for that organization.
-CC

Hi Chris,

I'm going to take a stab at this and guess Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs
or MFSL. Sound familiar?

Steve- Hide quoted text -

___________________
Possibly! But I think therew was an "A" in the acronym from my
neighbor. I did hit that website yesterday - quite a broad range of
SACDs and other advanced formats. Problem is I don't have a SACD
player and even if most SACDs are "hybrids"(meaning they down-convert
to regular CDDA), that means I'd probably be missing out on the
original master sound to some degree. Hopefully MFSL's stuff is from
the contemporary master tapes(I.E. the late '70s as in the case of
some of the Eagles or Boston's stuff) - NOT from a digital Re-Master
dated 2000 with a load of compression thrown in to make it "louder".
That's what i'm trying to avoid!

-ChrisCoaster
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Jun 6, 8:16*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

And if you call Folkways, they will run you off a CD-R dub from a master
tape of any of the Folkways albums.

Well, not quite. The CD-on-demand albums you can buy from Folkways
(and you can get them as FLAC downloads) mostly come from DAT tapes
dubbed in the 1990s, back when the recordings-on-demand came on
cassette only.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro

PStamler wrote:
On Jun 6, 8:16=A0am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

And if you call Folkways, they will run you off a CD-R dub from a master
tape of any of the Folkways albums.

Well, not quite. The CD-on-demand albums you can buy from Folkways
(and you can get them as FLAC downloads) mostly come from DAT tapes
dubbed in the 1990s, back when the recordings-on-demand came on
cassette only.

Okay, but it's a bit-for-bit copy of the dub off the master....