Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default AKG D1000E

Back in the early seventies, on two separate occasions, I contacted the
engineers of two radio stations to ask what on-air mic they were using. In both
cases, one in Miami and one in DC, they were using an AKG D1000E. They could
have been using them with a mic processor, but they didn't say they were.

When I had a D1000E, I didn't find it to be anything spectacular. You certainly
never hear anything about it any more. What is its nearest cousin? SM58? D880?
Other?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
Back in the early seventies, on two separate occasions, I contacted the
engineers of two radio stations to ask what on-air mic they were using. In both
cases, one in Miami and one in DC, they were using an AKG D1000E. They could
have been using them with a mic processor, but they didn't say they were.

When I had a D1000E, I didn't find it to be anything spectacular. You certainly
never hear anything about it any more. What is its nearest cousin? SM58? D880?
Other?

The pattern is wider than a D880, but it has more top end than an SM58 or
an SM57. It's pretty much in the SM57 league, though, and it has that monster
ugly SM57 presence peak.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/31/2011 11:11 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Back in the early seventies, on two separate occasions, I contacted the
engineers of two radio stations to ask what on-air mic they were using. In both
cases, one in Miami and one in DC, they were using an AKG D1000E. They could
have been using them with a mic processor, but they didn't say they were.

When I had a D1000E, I didn't find it to be anything spectacular. You certainly
never hear anything about it any more. What is its nearest cousin? SM58? D880?
Other?

The pattern is wider than a D880, but it has more top end than an SM58 or
an SM57. It's pretty much in the SM57 league, though, and it has that monster
ugly SM57 presence peak.

I'm thinking about buying a D880 just for grins. How different is it from an
SM58 or a Heil PR20 for a male voice? (I prefer the PR20 to the SM58 *any* day
of the week.)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
..

I'm thinking about buying a D880 just for grins. How different is it
from an SM58 or a Heil PR20 for a male voice? (I prefer the PR20 to
the SM58 *any* day of the week.)

880 sounds good, no 'nasal shreik' like a 58. But a D5 is better still.

Dunno about the Heil.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/3/2011 8:02 AM, geoff wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
.

I'm thinking about buying a D880 just for grins. How different is it
from an SM58 or a Heil PR20 for a male voice? (I prefer the PR20 to
the SM58 *any* day of the week.)

880 sounds good, no 'nasal shreik' like a 58. But a D5 is better still.

Dunno about the Heil.

Has anyone here tried a Blue Encore 200 phantom powered DYNAMIC mic on a male
voice? I like the idea of higher output from a dynamic. It's cheap, too.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a D880 just for grins. How different is it from an
SM58 or a Heil PR20 for a male voice? (I prefer the PR20 to the SM58 *any* day
of the week.)

Get one used on Ebay, they often show up for $25 or so. It's like an SM-58
but with a much, much tighter pattern and with actual high end above the
presence peak. Much more open sound, way more gain before feedback in a PA
application. It's definitely one of my favorite cheap mikes.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/3/2011 8:38 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a D880 just for grins. How different is it from an
SM58 or a Heil PR20 for a male voice? (I prefer the PR20 to the SM58 *any* day
of the week.)

Get one used on Ebay, they often show up for $25 or so. It's like an SM-58
but with a much, much tighter pattern and with actual high end above the
presence peak. Much more open sound, way more gain before feedback in a PA
application. It's definitely one of my favorite cheap mikes.

I rarely find deals like you do, Scott, so I just buy new most of the time.
They're available for $80 with free shipping on eBay. Even if I don't like it,
it's useful for something.

The D5 looks neat. Maybe I'll buy one of those, too. (Do I have GAS?)

The EV PL80C that I bought is gather dust. Then again, so are my SM58s, SM57s,
and RE20.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 wrote:
I rarely find deals like you do, Scott, so I just buy new most of the time.
They're available for $80 with free shipping on eBay. Even if I don't like it,
it's useful for something.

You just need to be persistent. I have a list of things to check Ebay for
every week, and sometimes they pop up. Whenever I see a 441, I put $200 on it.
I don't get most of them, but sometimes I get one.

The D5 looks neat. Maybe I'll buy one of those, too. (Do I have GAS?)

Never used one.

The EV PL80C that I bought is gather dust. Then again, so are my SM58s, SM57s,
and RE20.

I have an RE320 on eval right now and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet,
but it makes me want to use my RE20 more, I think.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/3/2011 11:27 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
I rarely find deals like you do, Scott, so I just buy new most of the time.
They're available for $80 with free shipping on eBay. Even if I don't like it,
it's useful for something.

You just need to be persistent. I have a list of things to check Ebay for
every week, and sometimes they pop up. Whenever I see a 441, I put $200 on it.
I don't get most of them, but sometimes I get one.

The D5 looks neat. Maybe I'll buy one of those, too. (Do I have GAS?)

Never used one.

The EV PL80C that I bought is gather dust. Then again, so are my SM58s, SM57s,
and RE20.

I have an RE320 on eval right now and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet,
but it makes me want to use my RE20 more, I think.

Well, if you find a 441 for $200 and you don't want it, let me know. I've never
had one, but the one I heard was great.

All I've heard about the RE320 is that it's plastic, and that with the focus
switch (or some such) it sounds more like a Heil PR40. I just use the Heil PR40,
which I really like for male spoken voice.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 11:36:42 -0400, mcp6453 wrote
(in article ) :

All I've heard about the RE320 is that it's plastic, and that with the focus
switch (or some such) it sounds more like a Heil PR40.

Plastic? Focus? That's the weirdest thing I've head today, but the day is
still young.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/6/2011 10:03 AM, Ty Ford wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 11:36:42 -0400, mcp6453 wrote
(in article ) :

All I've heard about the RE320 is that it's plastic, and that with the focus
switch (or some such) it sounds more like a Heil PR40.

Plastic? Focus? That's the weirdest thing I've head today, but the day is
still young.

Actually the focus switch is on the BLUE Spark. I've been reading too much
lately. The RE320 switch ("or some such") has been called a "dual personality"
switch.

Regarding the plastic comment, see http://goo.gl/GNi0c and http://goo.gl/Cd4iZ.

Good luck with the rest of your day.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

On 6/3/2011 11:27 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

I have an RE320 on eval right now and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet,
but it makes me want to use my RE20 more, I think.

I recently heard a blind shootout of mics on male spoken voices. My second
choice turned out to be a Heil PR40, but my first choice was a Beyer Dynamic
M99. Anyone here used one of those? I've never heard of it. It looks like I have
to buy one now. GAS pains.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 6/6/2011 10:03 AM, Ty Ford wrote:

All I've heard about the RE320 is that it's plastic, and that with the focus
switch (or some such) it sounds more like a Heil PR40.

Plastic? Focus? That's the weirdest thing I've head today, but the day is
still young.

Focus? Bo'f'us? The RE3320 is made of real metal. It does
have a "focus" switch that makes it sound like a hotter
SM-57 for those who think that's the way a microphone is
supposed to sound.

I used this weekend over a group of bass pans in a steel
band and on a plain ol' kick drum. It sounded OK. Focus off,
of course. When I saw it at the AES show last Fall, I asked
if it was an RE-20 for someone who wants a mic that looks
like an RE-20 and always wanted to use one on a kick drum,
but couldn't afford one. The guy at the booth kind of smiled
and pretty much agreed with me.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 10:35:17 -0400, mcp6453 wrote
(in article ) :

On 6/6/2011 10:03 AM, Ty Ford wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 11:36:42 -0400, mcp6453 wrote
(in article ) :

All I've heard about the RE320 is that it's plastic, and that with the
focus
switch (or some such) it sounds more like a Heil PR40.

Plastic? Focus? That's the weirdest thing I've head today, but the day is
still young.

Actually the focus switch is on the BLUE Spark. I've been reading too much
lately. The RE320 switch ("or some such") has been called a "dual

personality"
switch.

Regarding the plastic comment, see http://goo.gl/GNi0c and
http://goo.gl/Cd4iZ.

Good luck with the rest of your day.

The only switch on an RE20 is a high pass filter.

Stay away from the Kool Aid.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 20:29:05 -0400, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article ):

Focus? Bo'f'us?

I though t I might be the only one who knew that line. I don't remember what
comedy routine it came from though.

thanks for the chuckle,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
vdubreeze vdubreeze is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

It's been years since I've played with a D880 so that part is just a
memory, but I don't imagine it would compare favorably with the Heil,
which I think is great mic for $325. Even aside from quality they're
pretty different animals.