Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave Morrison Dave Morrison is offline

Default Sennheiser G2 wiring question

I have a Sennheiser evolution G2 SK100 transmitter and I need some wiring
help. I've searched the SennUSA site but can't find out how to wire a Senn
MKE2-5 mic for this xmitter. This is a pigtail version of the mic and the
jack on the SK100 accepts a 3.5mm stereo plug. The wires coming out of the
pigtail are red, blue, braided copper and two silver-looking wires which I
assume are for strain relief. Any help with this?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Dave Morrison wrote:
I have a Sennheiser evolution G2 SK100 transmitter and I need some wiring
help. I've searched the SennUSA site but can't find out how to wire a Senn
MKE2-5 mic for this xmitter. This is a pigtail version of the mic and the
jack on the SK100 accepts a 3.5mm stereo plug. The wires coming out of the
pigtail are red, blue, braided copper and two silver-looking wires which I
assume are for strain relief. Any help with this?

The silver wires are almost certainly the shield if they are wrapped around
the outside. They go to the sleeve.

Now which wire goes to tip and which to ring? You can use a diode tester
function on the DMM to check the microphone and the voltmeter to see what
the polarity of the supply in the pack is. Or you could just use clip
leads and try both combinations. One will work, one will not.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave Morrison Dave Morrison is offline

Scott,
The silver wires (there are two of them) are tightly wound and almost feel
like stainless steel. If they are the shield, what function would the copper
braided wire serve?
dave

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Dave Morrison wrote:
I have a Sennheiser evolution G2 SK100 transmitter and I need some wiring
help. I've searched the SennUSA site but can't find out how to wire a Senn
MKE2-5 mic for this xmitter. This is a pigtail version of the mic and the
jack on the SK100 accepts a 3.5mm stereo plug. The wires coming out of the
pigtail are red, blue, braided copper and two silver-looking wires which I
assume are for strain relief. Any help with this?

The silver wires are almost certainly the shield if they are wrapped
around
the outside. They go to the sleeve.

Now which wire goes to tip and which to ring? You can use a diode tester
function on the DMM to check the microphone and the voltmeter to see what
the polarity of the supply in the pack is. Or you could just use clip
leads and try both combinations. One will work, one will not.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Dave Morrison wrote:
Scott,
The silver wires (there are two of them) are tightly wound and almost feel
like stainless steel. If they are the shield, what function would the copper
braided wire serve?

The outer braid is also a shield. The stainless stuff is probably for
stiffness only, but it won't hurt to connect it to the shield.
Salvatore Marino Salvatore Marino is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
I have a Sennheiser evolution G2 SK100 transmitter and I need some wiring
help. I've searched the SennUSA site but can't find out how to wire a Senn
MKE2-5 mic for this xmitter. This is a pigtail version of the mic and the
jack on the SK100 accepts a 3.5mm stereo plug. The wires coming out of the
pigtail are red, blue, braided copper and two silver-looking wires which I
assume are for strain relief. Any help with this?

Hello Dave,
The Sennheiser G2 Body pack uses the 3.5mm input for Mic and Line level
independently on different pins / TIP and RING.

TIP and SHIELD are used for Microphone input,,,,,
RING and SHIED are for LINE.

For Condenser Mic Connection onto 3.5mm male Connector.:

1st determine the microphones Hot wire, (Generally Red family shades), and,
solder to 3.5mm TIP.

2nd, solder remaining wire(s) to SHIELD.
SHIELD serves as NEGATIVE/GROUND and also carry's 48V Phantom Power .

For Line Level input:
ONLY using a three wire balanced connector. (use adapters to unbalance)

Solder the HOT wire to the 3.5mm connectors RING,
tie GROUND and SHIELD together and solder to the 3.5mm connectors SHIELD.

Though there are some variables, this is pretty much standard for Countryman, Sennheiser, Sony and Sure Condenser lavalier Microphones.

ALSO,
Your microphones RED is the HOT, Blue is Negative. the third is shield and strain relief.
This wire is made of Tungsten and cannot be soldered.

To make the false positive connection that works:

a) Sand the tungsten wire solder area with a nail filer.
B) Wrap a few strands of bare copper wire evenly around the tungsten and tin.

Last edited by Salvatore Marino : June 8th 11 at 08:33 PM Reason: additional information

Sennheiser MD 402-U - general question Matthias Pro Audio 2 April 7th 07 12:47 AM
sennheiser way to go with nature recordings: Sennheiser MKH-40 pair or Sennheiser MKH-30 + MKH-40 combo? andrejs eigus Pro Audio 4 February 25th 07 09:17 PM
sennheiser headphone wiring RobR Tech 5 January 11th 06 01:43 AM
Sennheiser 825S Wiring? Serge Stodolnik Pro Audio 0 October 27th 04 05:03 PM
Sennheiser MD-21 Question Dave Latchaw Pro Audio 5 July 8th 04 10:16 AM