Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jason Warren[_2_] Jason Warren[_2_] is offline

Default Review of Audition 5.5

In article , says...

Peter Larsen wrote:

Must have been a sales clerk speaking up. Changes from windows xp to
windows 7 do not in my profesional opinion as sound engineer and as
certified it professional necessitate any change of actual
functionality.

I agree. They apparently ran out of time.

Ah, yes, one thing: proper support of multi-processing and proper
multithreading with detachment. THAT is nice. Also a mentioning that the
missing stuff may reappear in A6 and that it is missing because rewriting
took longer than expected. Makes sense, but also makes it make sense to pass
and wait since missing stuff breaks my usage.

Agreed, too. I installed the trial version for a look. The changes to the interface are
substantial and maybe are ok... Being able to see both the amplitude v time and the
spectral display simultaneously is handy. Both views have their uses. One change I
noticed immediately: loading very large .wav files is dramatically faster. These require
a format change from int to 32-bit fp. What took almost a minute in V3 now loads in about
10 seconds. Applying operations to the whole file also runs much faster on my dual-core
XP system.

Reading between the lines in the forum makes me think I know just where the engineers
stand. I managed rewrites of some legacy IBM code and some that arrived via acquisitions.
You reach a point where the old code is just so convoluted and has suffered so many
patches that rewriting it is all that makes sense. That approach *always* upsets
schedule-driven managers, but they come around a year later when the bug reports fall
off.

Jason

Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Perrett[_3_] James Perrett[_3_] is offline

On Jun 17, 2:25*pm, Jason Warren wrote:

Reading between the lines in the forum makes me think I know just where the engineers
stand. I managed rewrites of some legacy IBM code and some that arrived via acquisitions.
You reach a point where the old code is just so convoluted and has suffered so many
patches that rewriting it is all that makes sense. That approach *always* upsets
schedule-driven managers, but they come around a year later when the bug reports fall
off.

Jason

The thing is, they claimed to have completely rewritten the code for
version 2 as well so the code isn't actually that old and should have
been able to cope with multiple processors which were common when
version 2 came out. Version 2 was also a disaster and it prompted me
to move over to Reaper for multi-track work. Reaper and Audition 1.5
make a formidable combination although I'm thinking of replacing
Audition with Izotope RX as I mainly use Audition for its restoration
tools.

James.

Audition 1.5 mcp6453[_2_] Pro Audio 5 July 26th 10 05:31 PM
CD Production in Audition 1.5 Mike Rivers Pro Audio 37 September 22nd 08 11:10 PM
Anyone audition the TRW-17? DW Audio Opinions 7 September 15th 06 08:26 PM
CEP / Audition help Kevin T Pro Audio 6 February 6th 06 05:44 PM
Adobe Audition Help Please!!!!!!!!! [email protected] Pro Audio 8 October 3rd 04 01:00 AM