Posted to rec.audio.car
Jonathan Jonathan is offline

Default 4x7inch subs

Hi all,
I have 4 7inch subs within the one enclosure, I've never had 7inch subs so
have nothing to compare them against.

My subs aren't that hard hitting, they aren't reaching that chest vibrating
base. I had 1 12inch before and this did it easily.

Is it due to the subs only being 7inch? are they as vibrating and deep as a
12inch?

The box I have built for the subs is one large box with all 4 subs using the
same box. Ie no divides between sub enclosure. I just took one recommend
volume for one sub multuplied it by 4 and built a large box with this
volume.

Could the box be the cause? should each sob be sealed in its own enclosure
within the big box? or does the large volume between 4 subs make no
difference?

Hopefully someone will understand what I mean and be able to advise.

Many thanks

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40[_27_] KU40[_27_] is offline

they should be somewhat comparable, though they won't be able to go as
low as your 12 most likely. Check the wires and make sure they are all
in phase because one that's wired backwards will throw the sound off by
a lot. The box dividers won't make a difference in this case.

--
KU40

Posted to rec.audio.car
Jonathan Jonathan is offline

One more quick question. The 4 subs are grouped in sets of 2, each set is
wired in series and then both sets parallel to each other..

Each sub is 4ohm, This should equal back to 4ohms correct??

2x4ohm in series = 8ohms
2x 8 ohms in parallel = 4ohms.

Without taking the whole box apart, can I get a multimeter and check the ohm
rating coming out of the sub box? THis would be able to tell me if all
speakers are in phase wouldn't it? Ie the reading should be close enough to
4ohm?!

Please let me know, don't really wanna take the whole box apart again.

THanks

"Jonathan" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for your input!!

Much appreciated.

"KU40" wrote in message

they should be somewhat comparable, though they won't be able to go as
low as your 12 most likely. Check the wires and make sure they are all
in phase because one that's wired backwards will throw the sound off by
a lot. The box dividers won't make a difference in this case.

--
KU40

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40[_28_] KU40[_28_] is offline

yeah you can do that. Though don't be surprised if the reading is a
little low. The Re of 4 ohm subs usually measures 3.2-3.6 ohms on your
multimeter. so you should get something like that when you test.

--
KU40

Posted to rec.audio.car
Jonathan Jonathan is offline

They're Rainbow Audio.

I think I may be overcrowding the box also. The box itself is has a volume
of twice the recommended size (maybe 2.5) I filled the box with polyfil to
cater for the incorrect volume. I'm wondering even with the polyfill, is 4
subs too many for this volume?

Would it sound deeper, clearer and harder with just two?

Or is it, as you say purely down to the fact that they're 7inch?

Thanks

"ruens" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:24:37 +0100, "Jonathan"
wrote:

[...]

How low can you cross them before the bass becomes muffled, and what
brand are these? While these little subs *may* provide some decent
sounding mid-bass, the fact still remains; you will never be able to
get them to sound like a 12". Get yourself a real subwoofer setup.

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40[_32_] KU40[_32_] is offline

adding the polyfill actually worsened the too large of a box problem.
polyfill basically makes the enclosure appear about 10% larger to the
subs (among it's other qualities). try taking the polyfill out and
instead throwing something in to take up space to see if a smaller
airspace sounds better. can be wood, bricks, whatever is solid.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
Jonathan Jonathan is offline

Apologies I should of been more clear.

The box is twice the voulme of a single sub. So really the volume should
only cater for 2 subs. I decided to put 4 in as Rainbow state the subs can
work with half the recommended volume; But, I think this could be the issue.

The subs sound quite muffled and aren't hitting that low vibrating note.

e...

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Jonathan Jonathan is offline

Any of you interested in purchasing Rainbow Products?

Let me know a price and I'll try and beat it. I know a distributor in the
area.

Your all misunderstanding my post

The box is twice the volume recommended for 1 sub. I squeezed in 4 as
Rainbow states it can still perform at half the recommended volume. I'm just
curious as to whether the fact I have 4 subs in a box with volume suited for
2 would this be the cause of dulkl sound.

Have you had experience with Vanadium subs? are they hard hitting? Mine
sound quite muffled and are only hitting mid sub range rather than the lows
I'd expect.

THanks

"ruens" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:25:08 +0100, "Jonathan"
wrote:

They're Rainbow Audio.

Great sounding speakers (vanadiums).

I think I may be overcrowding the box also. The box itself is has a

volume
of twice the recommended size (maybe 2.5) I filled the box with polyfil

cater for the incorrect volume. I'm wondering even with the polyfill, is

4
subs too many for this volume?

Polyfill in this case would be completely unnecessary. You wouldn't
want these subwoofers to perform as if they were in a bigger box then
they already are in would you?

Would it sound deeper, clearer and harder with just two?
Or is it, as you say purely down to the fact that they're 7inch?

If you have enough space I'd start from scratch and build ported.

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40[_33_] KU40[_33_] is offline

That's likely because of the small box. As the box gets smaller, lowend
suffers and the sound can become boomy. So if you can, either take out
two of them and cover the other two holes or build a new box that's
large enough for all four. I imagine you'll find better results.

--
KU40