Lawrence Leung

Default Another question on SACD player

I have another question regarding SACD player.

I am thinking of buying the new Music Hall Maverick SACD player. It comes
with a coaxial output, and I would like to hook it up with the Music Hall
Mambo integrated amp. which also has a coaxial input.

My question is: "can I do that?" Will the Mambo's 24/96 upsampling system
handle the DAC? Or do I need an extra DAC to hook up the Maverick with the
Mambo, if I want to use its coaxial output? Or the whole thing is a total
waste of money and time, no difference than I just hook them up using the
normal interconnect RCA?

Thanks!

Lawrence Leung
Steven Sullivan

Lawrence Leung wrote:
I have another question regarding SACD player.

I am thinking of buying the new Music Hall Maverick SACD player. It comes
with a coaxial output, and I would like to hook it up with the Music Hall
Mambo integrated amp. which also has a coaxial input.

My question is: "can I do that?" Will the Mambo's 24/96 upsampling system
handle the DAC? Or do I need an extra DAC to hook up the Maverick with the
Mambo, if I want to use its coaxial output?

If you use a digital output, presumably the 'raw' signal will be sent to the
Mambo, bypassing the Mambo's DAC and its upsampling. I'd guess the amp's
DAC will do all the work.

OF course, for SACD sources, this won't work, because they will have to be passed
via analog, for this combination of components. It might be that the amp
would re-digitize and 'upsample' the analog input, then reconvert it
to analog, which I'd think would be rather pointless but may well be the sort
of thing that true believers insist makes a difference.

Or the whole thing is a total
waste of money and time, no difference than I just hook them up using the
normal interconnect RCA?

Try both and decide which sounds better. But also realize , it could
just be wishful thinking.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

Kalman Rubinson

On 21 Feb 2004 18:36:45 GMT, Lawrence Leung
wrote:

I have another question regarding SACD player.

I am thinking of buying the new Music Hall Maverick SACD player. It comes
with a coaxial output, and I would like to hook it up with the Music Hall
Mambo integrated amp. which also has a coaxial input.

My question is: "can I do that?" Will the Mambo's 24/96 upsampling system
handle the DAC? Or do I need an extra DAC to hook up the Maverick with the
Mambo, if I want to use its coaxial output? Or the whole thing is a total
waste of money and time, no difference than I just hook them up using the
normal interconnect RCA?

What are you asking? The Mambo has a DAC and will accept the digital
output of the Mambo with CDs. Is the upsampling DAC in the Mambo
superior to that in the Maverick? I do not know. The digital
connection, of course, will not do for SACD.

Kal

Randy

Pardon me for sidestepping your question somewhat but have you spent
much time with the Maverick player? I owned one for about a month but
ended up returning it because of it's quirky and inconsistent
operation. Problems included frequent TOC reading errors, some discs
would not play, some would play without sound and many hybrid discs
would not play one layer or the other. According to posts and
discussions on audioasylum.com, my experience with this player is not
uncommon. I thought the player sounded ok but I could just not
tolerate the annoying operational quirks. Perhaps they have fixed
these bugs but I would recommend you spend some time with the player
before you commit.

Just my .02

Randy

Lawrence Leung wrote in message ...
I have another question regarding SACD player.

I am thinking of buying the new Music Hall Maverick SACD player. It comes
with a coaxial output, and I would like to hook it up with the Music Hall
Mambo integrated amp. which also has a coaxial input.

My question is: "can I do that?" Will the Mambo's 24/96 upsampling system
handle the DAC? Or do I need an extra DAC to hook up the Maverick with the
Mambo, if I want to use its coaxial output? Or the whole thing is a total
waste of money and time, no difference than I just hook them up using the
normal interconnect RCA?

Thanks!

Lawrence Leung

Randy

Have you auditioned the Maverick? I had one for about a month but ended up
returning it because of very quirky operation. Some discs would not
play...some would play but produce no sound....and various TOC errors
consistently plagued this player. According to subsequent posts I have read
on Audioasylum.com, these problems are fairly common with this player.

The player sounded ok but I found it's operational quirks to be way too
annoying. Perhaps they have worked out these bugs but I would definitly
recommend that you spend some time with the player before you buy.