Shiva

Default Use a 6K11 tube in place of a 12AX7

"MCurn29788" wrote in message
I want to use a 6K11 tube in place of a 12AX7 in a marshall guitar amp. I

know
that the Soldano Hotmod does this but I want to make my own. Can anyone

help me
out with a diagram? E-mail at

A sircuit for what? 6k11 is a triple-triode, will in no way fit into a
9=pin socket, 'coz it has 3 extra pins... try alt.guitar or something -
you'll get all the bad advice you need...

Shiva

"Ian Iveson" wrote in message
I guess you get to pick up the pieces after many amateur
modifications!

Looks a like 2 of those 3 triodes might pass for a 12AX7 with same
gain but perhaps with lower Ra? Er...need bigger cathode resistors?

Wonder what the other one's for? Nothing in the case of the
suggested mod, perhaps. Looks useful for something though. Shame
to waste it.

A diagram would presumably be little more than a comparison of
pin-outs.

Does the Marshall use the 6V or 12V heater connection for the 12AX7,
I wonder? Probably the 6 so that would be OK.

I wonder if he can snip four pins and bend the others ;-)

cheers, Ian

Well, it's probably "the really great gain mod" (one of the endless "really
great gain mods"), and the extra triode is probably used as an extra gain
stage. Just a guess. Mods exist mainly 'coz Guitar Player magazine would
be out of biz real quick if the only tech copy was "just shut the f8ck up &
play!"
And, if it wasn't for the "mods", I'd be gainfully unemployed. Right now I
have 3 amps sitting waitin' to be un-modded, and one modded. That's about
the usual ratio. I've seen really clever mods which really *did* add to an
amp, but those are rare... Once I was about to rip out a rat's nest of
wires from an amp, but plugged it in and played it, and ... though whoever
did the mod wasn't too big on neatness & physical reliability, he sure was
thinking when he designed it (i actually drew up that circuit)
-dim

"Shiva" wrote in message
news

"MCurn29788" wrote in message
I want to use a 6K11 tube in place of a 12AX7 in a marshall

guitar amp. I
know
that the Soldano Hotmod does this but I want to make my own. Can

anyone
help me
out with a diagram? E-mail at

A sircuit for what? 6k11 is a triple-triode, will in no way fit

into a
9=pin socket, 'coz it has 3 extra pins... try alt.guitar or

something -
you'll get all the bad advice you need...

Jimmy

Ive seen that 6k11 used in some little cheap guitar amps. A pair of 6bq5s
driven by one section of the tube used as a phase splitter another as a
preamp and the other in the tone volune section. I worked on a couple of
them in my shop when I used to do such things. Actually it made a pretty
decent little amp once you replaced the cheap ass pots and capacitors and
put a decent speaker in the box. Think this tube was origonally designed for
TV sets as part of the vertical circuit and was suppose to be roughly the
equivalent of a 'ax7 and half of an at7 or maybe an 'au7.

&
play!"
And, if it wasn't for the "mods", I'd be gainfully unemployed. Right now

have 3 amps sitting waitin' to be un-modded, and one modded. That's

about
the usual ratio. I've seen really clever mods which really *did* add to

an
amp, but those are rare... Once I was about to rip out a rat's nest of
wires from an amp, but plugged it in and played it, and ... though whoever
did the mod wasn't too big on neatness & physical reliability, he sure was
thinking when he designed it (i actually drew up that circuit)
-dim

"Shiva" wrote in message
news

"MCurn29788" wrote in message
I want to use a 6K11 tube in place of a 12AX7 in a marshall

guitar amp. I
know
that the Soldano Hotmod does this but I want to make my own. Can

anyone
help me
out with a diagram? E-mail at

A sircuit for what? 6k11 is a triple-triode, will in no way fit

into a
9=pin socket, 'coz it has 3 extra pins... try alt.guitar or

something -
you'll get all the bad advice you need...

Shiva

"Jimmy" wrote in message
. com...
Ive seen that 6k11 used in some little cheap guitar amps. A pair of 6bq5s
driven by one section of the tube used as a phase splitter another as a
preamp and the other in the tone volune section. I worked on a couple of
them in my shop when I used to do such things. Actually it made a pretty
decent little amp once you replaced the cheap ass pots and capacitors and
put a decent speaker in the box. Think this tube was origonally designed

for
TV sets as part of the vertical circuit and was suppose to be roughly the
equivalent of a 'ax7 and half of an at7 or maybe an 'au7.

Yeah, this *notorious* toob is used in many 'Peg V4's & such - which used to
be a great "cheap" amp, but now bringin' real money. It's not that the tube
is bad - it's not, but it's really not available at most music stores, and
just ... looks wrong - like a TV toob... And needs a special socket - in
short, if there's no *need* to use one, why bother? The good thing about
new (er) (big chassis) marshes is ... there is room enough to build
*another* amp on top of it - there's no need to be space-conscious, or use
weird tubes having nothing "different" to offer. It could be a great -
soundin' mod, for all I know...
-dim

"Shiva" wrote in message

"Ian Iveson" wrote in message
[...]