R Speck

Default Audio File Conversion Issues

I am aware of the issues one can encounter editing the bit depth and
sampling rate of audio files on a mediocre DAW. What I am trying to
deduce are the anomalies, issues and negative attributes that are
introduced by converting file types.

Example:
In Sound Forge, saving a WAV file off as an AIFF or SD or SDII files.

Your input is appreciated.

Forty Winks

R Speck wrote in news:5g3ln0led5s3ti3pvr5nas7a3de424mafh@
4ax.com:

I am aware of the issues one can encounter editing the bit depth and
sampling rate of audio files on a mediocre DAW. What I am trying to
deduce are the anomalies, issues and negative attributes that are
introduced by converting file types.

Example:
In Sound Forge, saving a WAV file off as an AIFF or SD or SDII files.

Your input is appreciated.

As long as the destination filetype supports the original word length &
sample rate, None.

Scott Dorsey

R Speck wrote:
I am aware of the issues one can encounter editing the bit depth and
sampling rate of audio files on a mediocre DAW. What I am trying to
deduce are the anomalies, issues and negative attributes that are
introduced by converting file types.

Example:
In Sound Forge, saving a WAV file off as an AIFF or SD or SDII files.

Your input is appreciated.

There should be none. The bits are the the same, only the headers are
different.
Bob Olhsson

"R Speck" wrote in message
I am aware of the issues one can encounter editing the bit depth and
sampling rate of audio files on a mediocre DAW. What I am trying to
deduce are the anomalies, issues and negative attributes that are
introduced by converting file types.

There is one file type to avoid which is Sound Designer II. It requires a
Mac-only disk format (the resource fork) that has been obsolete for ten
years and probably won't even be compatible with new Macs in a very few
years.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

Paul Stamler

"R Speck" wrote in message
I am aware of the issues one can encounter editing the bit depth and
sampling rate of audio files on a mediocre DAW. What I am trying to
deduce are the anomalies, issues and negative attributes that are
introduced by converting file types.

Example:
In Sound Forge, saving a WAV file off as an AIFF or SD or SDII files.

Your input is appreciated.

By coincidence, last week I had the occasion to test this. I made a copy of
a .wav file, inverted its polarity, and saved it as an AIFF file. I then
imported it into a program which has intermittent problems reading 32-bit
..wav files (that's an issue for another thread), which automatically
converted it back into a .wav file. Finally, I re-imported the newly created
..wav file (on which I had done no operations) into a multitrack program
along with my original file and played them back simultaneously.

Result: nada. Nothing. Zilch. The two opposite-polarity files nulled
perfectly.

My conclusion: at least in CoolEdit/Audition and DC-SIX, saving a file in
..wav or AIFF makes no substantive difference whatsoever. Just different ways
of writing identical data.

Peace,
Paul

R Speck

My thanks to all of you that responded. I can feel confident in my WAV
- AIFF conversions now