Posted to rec.audio.pro
knadles knadles is offline

Default Good to see this is still here!

I was a regular here many years ago. Rec.audio.pro (along with several years in the sound program at Columbia College) helped reinforce my understanding of professional audio. I learned a lot, and loved reading the commentary and debates among and between seasoned professionals.

Seems few people even know about Usenet any more. The web forums have a few decent folks, but also plenty of bedroom kids waxing philosophical about magical VST plugins or their "collection" of 500 series modules. Focusrite Scarlett. Bah.

Had a nice convo with Mark McQuilken a few years ago when I called him about some knobs for an RNC-500. We reminisced about what a great forum this was. What a wonderful resource, if only one was willing to listen and to ask. Then the trolls came to play, the web content sites vacuumed up some of the pros to serve as moderators, and Usenet fell from the public consciousness. Sigh. With all we've gained, we've lost at least as much.

Anyway, I have nothing substantive to add. Just wanted to say hello. I'm glad to see some of the great people are still here. There's literally nothing out there in the universe as informative as r.a.p. circa 2000. Saved my ass more than once. It was my compass and my North Star. Keep on keepin' on.

-Pete
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/8/2019 5:10 PM, knadles wrote:
I was a regular here many years ago.

Well, hello again. Thanks for checking in.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
BC[_2_] BC[_2_] is offline

OMG! Mike freaking Rivers!

I miss this place. I learned so much by lurking here back-in-the-day. gearslutz and the like don't have the same vibe or utility, imo.

Good times.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] chipmcdonald@gmail.com is offline

Seeing that Kludge Audio is a thing now, I've looked in "here", amused to see "here" still exists...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Seeing that Kludge Audio is a thing now, I've looked in "here", amused to see "here" still exists...

Glad to hear it!

I'm not sure it still exists, but there are still people sort of lurking
around here, probably all asking and answering the same questions as always.

I'll point out that Kludge Audio has been a thing for decades but I just
figured it would be more interesting to make sell stuff myself than design
stuff for other people to make and sell. Turns out I'm a lot better at
making stuff than selling it, but I'm having a good time anyway. Where did
you hear about it?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tatonik Tatonik is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

I'll point out that Kludge Audio has been a thing for decades but I just
figured it would be more interesting to make sell stuff myself than design
stuff for other people to make and sell. Turns out I'm a lot better at
making stuff than selling it, but I'm having a good time anyway.

I noticed all the offerings are 500 series modules. I don't have a 500
series rack but had been thinking of getting one. This might be a
stupid question, but are all 500 racks more or less created equal? Any
brands to avoid? Are there any decent small ones on the market with
just one or two slots?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
knadles wrote:
I was a regular here many years ago. Rec.audio.pro (along with several year=
s in the sound program at Columbia College) helped reinforce my understandi=
ng of professional audio. I learned a lot, and loved reading the commentary=
and debates among and between seasoned professionals.

A lot of those people moved off to the pro-audio mailing list, which then
itself became a kind of backwater with fairly low traffic.

Seems few people even know about Usenet any more. The web forums have a few=
decent folks, but also plenty of bedroom kids waxing philosophical about m=
agical VST plugins or their "collection" of 500 series modules. Focusrite S=
carlett. Bah.

Well, I'm trying to sell modules to those kids so I shouldn't say anything
bad about them. But I suspect that the problems you're seeing aren't just
online, but are endemic to the whole production industry. We are all being
asked to compete with those kids.

Had A nice convo with Mark McQuilken a few years ago when I called him abou=
t some knobs for an RNC-500. We reminisced about what a great forum this wa=
s. What a wonderful resource, if only one was willing to listen and to ask.=
Then the trolls came to play, the web content sites vacuumed up some of th=
e pros to serve as moderators, and Usenet fell from the public consciousnes=
s. Sigh. With all we've gained, we've lost at least as much.

To some extent we can blame Andrew Cuomo's campaign to shut down Usenet for
some of the death of the network, but to some extent it is an example of
the tragedy of the commons.

Anyway, I have nothing substantive to add. Just wanted to say hello. I'm gl=
ad to see some of the great people are still here. There's literally nothin=
g out there in the universe as informative as r.a.p. circa 2000. Saved my a=
ss more than once. It was my compass and my North Star. Keep on keepin' on.

Peace!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tatonik wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

I'll point out that Kludge Audio has been a thing for decades but I just
figured it would be more interesting to make sell stuff myself than design
stuff for other people to make and sell. Turns out I'm a lot better at
making stuff than selling it, but I'm having a good time anyway.

I noticed all the offerings are 500 series modules. I don't have a 500
series rack but had been thinking of getting one. This might be a
stupid question, but are all 500 racks more or less created equal? Any
brands to avoid? Are there any decent small ones on the market with
just one or two slots?

Some of them are nice and some of them are total crap. Some have switching
supplies inside the case that leak magnetic fields. Some are very well
made with machined rails, and others are stamped out of chinese butter metal.

The bargain basement Alactron ones seem to be okay; they are flimsy and have
poor fit and finish but the external (linear) power supply Is acceptable.
For what they cost you can treat them as disposable.

The Purple Audio units are expensive but you get what you pay for and they
feel good, everything fits properly, and you can expect them to last a lot
longer.

Everybody and his brother is selling a rack and I can't keep them all
straight.

Justin Case spent a lot of time engineering careful filters to deal with
poor quality power supplies in cheap lunchboxes and he was kind enough to
let me steal his filter designs. I am surprised at the difference between
different cards in terms of power supply noise rejection, but I can't speak
for anyone else. My cards work well with crappy power supplies (but the
equalizer is sensitive to strong magnetic fields), but not everyone else's
is.
---scott