Kane \(Ian L\)

Default Car audio - amp problem - blowing fuses.. .

Hello.

I've got a little amp powering two speakers (which has been working fine for
months, until now). Anyway, after installing a new head unit, which works
fine, it was all going fine till i turned on my headlights, then (for
whatever reason) the 25A fuse in my amp blew.

Hoping it was a one off, I put a new 25A fuse in the unit (amp) and it blew
straight away, before the car was even turned on... (It did this twice..)

Given that it is in the amplifier, which has it's power coming direct from
the battery, and is grounded close by with the only connections to the rest
of the car being the RCA leads from the stereo and the 12V remote lead from
the stereo, I'm kind of stuck as to what the problem could be.

The 12V remote line reads 0.5V with the car off and 12.3ish V with the car
on..

I assume the 12V line is for activating a power relay in the amp (Audiobahn
A2002T). Would the fuse be before this relay?

Anyway.. I'm stuck for ideas right now... can anyone help?

Thanks
Ian

joe.ker

"Kane (Ian L)" wrote in message
[...]

The fuse in the amp is before everything. the fuse is connected straight to
the 12v power terminal of the amp.
Is the main power wire going straight to the Battery?

If the fuse in the amp is blowing right away, without the car or radio being
on, then it sounds like there is a short inside the amp.

Lamp Lighter

joe.ker wrote:
"Kane (Ian L)" wrote in message

[...]

Check the relay, they get sticky even brand new ones. Do this by
touching and removing the remote line to the terminal with the car on.
There should be a very small but audible click coming from the amp.
Unless it's a solidstate relay(unlikely) which is a totally different story.
Kane \(Ian L\)

The fuse in the amp is before everything. the fuse is connected straight
to the 12v power terminal of the amp.
Is the main power wire going straight to the Battery?

If the fuse in the amp is blowing right away, without the car or radio
being on, then it sounds like there is a short inside the amp.

Check the relay, they get sticky even brand new ones. Do this by touching
and removing the remote line to the terminal with the car on. There should
be a very small but audible click coming from the amp. Unless it's a
solidstate relay(unlikely) which is a totally different story.

thanks guys, that's what I had thought, however I thought I had better ask
some people with a little more experience.