Jordan Skoblenick

Default How can 2x 1200w subs be so cheap?

Is it just me, or is there something wrong with these subs:
Will they sound like ass, or just not perform, or what?
J Skoba

Erik Hovind

Because they're pyle and won't handle anywhere near 1200w.

If you want a cheap SPL sub, look at audiobahn. You can get the AW1208T
which is rated 1500w RMS and will handle every bit of it for $150 on ebay.

"Jordan Skoblenick" wrote in message
.. .
Is it just me, or is there something wrong with these subs:

Will they sound like ass, or just not perform, or what?
J Skoba

MZ

Is it just me, or is there something wrong with these subs:

Will they sound like ass, or just not perform, or what?
J Skoba

No, there's nothing wrong with them. They're just not "1200 watt" subs.
Look at the title. 1200 watts. Look in the ad. 600 watts RMS. And that
number is probably a bit on the generous side. All in all, it doesn't seem
like too bad a price though.

MZ

I'm so sick of reading this crap.

First of all, Lanzar, Pyramid, and Pyle are not "junk". In fact, some of
Lanzar's equipment, particularly their Optidrive stuff, is quite expensive
and is well regarded by many. Pyle and Pyramid offer an inexpensive
subwoofer that, more often than not, most people wouldn't even be able to
tell is a Pyle or Pyramid. Just because you've chosen magazines and hearsay
to make your decision for you doesn't mean that you should dictate to others
what they should or should not buy. Do you have failure rate data in front
of you?

Hell, my friend came over just last night after buying Sony "junk" (at least
that's the general impression of Sony these days). He bought an amplifier
and two 12's. He got them for a good price. It sounded very good. You'd
be hard-pressed to hear a difference between these subs and amp and my JL
12w3 12" sub driven by an ESX q1752. Damn, people, they're subs. Build the
right box for them, and you won't notice any difference between "junk" Sony
or Pyle subs and mr. expensive-huge-magnet designer subwoofer, assuming
you're not exceeding the power handling of either of them.

This whole gazillion-watt era in car audio is annoying. If you need
thousands of watts for your subwoofers to get them to sound good, then
you're doing something seriously wrong. If instead you're just a basshead
looking to "show off" your system, then you've got bigger problems facing
you than just subwoofers. Guess what? People don't care about your stupid
systems. And no, you have nothing to take pride in by building a box and
screwing a sub into it. The salesmen, from the marketing departments, the
magazine writers, and the retailers should be the proud ones, because they
succeeded in duping you.

(Rant not necessarily directed at you, "smoove")

"smoove" wrote in message
They are JUNK just like Pyramid and Lanzar are these days. There was a

time
13-14 years ago Lanzar and Pyle were actually decent.

"Jordan Skoblenick" wrote in message
.. .
Is it just me, or is there something wrong with these subs:

Will they sound like ass, or just not perform, or what?
J Skoba

What do you mean there is no reason to be proud about building a box
and screwing a sub to it? I take great pride in my boxes after I've
designed and built them, and installed them, especially when they turn
out well

MZ

What do you mean there is no reason to be proud about building a box
and screwing a sub to it? I take great pride in my boxes after I've
designed and built them, and installed them, especially when they turn
out well

An elaborate subwoofer installation is sometimes quite a feat. False
floors, fiberglassing, "exotic" enclosures, and so forth. A functional
installation, on the other hand, which is what most "bassheads" aim for,
isn't. Most of the people that park and blast fall into the latter
category - they bought a box (or built...well...a rectangle), put some shiny
new subs into it, ran a couple wires to a shiny new amp, and that's about
it. There's nothing to be proud of, and as such, there's nothing to show
off.

Thor Lancelot Simon

MZ wrote:
I'm so sick of reading this crap.

First of all, Lanzar, Pyramid, and Pyle are not "junk". In fact, some of
Lanzar's equipment, particularly their Optidrive stuff, is quite expensive
and is well regarded by many. Pyle and Pyramid offer an inexpensive
subwoofer that, more often than not, most people wouldn't even be able to
tell is a Pyle or Pyramid.

Sure, because some idiot would doubtless be playing it so loud that it
would be impossible to hear its dreadful sound quality over the noise
his trunk lid made as it slammed open and shut. ;-) ;-)

If you want a good cheap sub, buy a Hsu. If you want to make a lot of
noise and don't care what it sounds like, put chunk of dry ice in a
3-liter coke bottle in your trunk and leave it there for a while -- it
is cheaper than a "cheap SPL sub".

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky
smoove

I remember days when I ran a fully sponsored sound competition rabbit GTI
with all Pyramid. That would have been around 16 years ago. When I compare
the quality and power to todays equipment, I am just not impressed. When the
OptiDrive amps came out they were top of the line and you could count on
them not to over heat or just up and die. Pyle around that time was also
great product. Yes I will agree that Sony is Junk and I personally will
never buy it. I recently was looking for a cheap, nothing big 10" sub, it
only took a month for the sub to die. some where the connection to the coil
has broken. I am just saying that in my opinion the feel the quality of
some of the used to be big name stuff isn't as great as it used to be. I
don't believe they have the money for the engineering or as you put it the
marketing these days. On the other hand people still buy enough of the
equipment for these companies to stay in business. granted you can have 1
parent comany with 2 - 20 underneath it. I.E. "Directed".

this is just my opinion, I am not trying to start a flame war. I have been
building systems for about 17 years now and I have watched a lot of compies
go up and down with quality and market share.

MZ you are welcome to rant. I am justifying my opinion that's all. And yes
the BASS heads are annoying, anybody can go buy a prefab box 1500w amp and
go booom. there is no skill in that. I want to see these guys learn to do
some fiber glass molding with custom kick panels

"smoove" wrote in message
They are JUNK just like Pyramid and Lanzar are these days. There was a

time
13-14 years ago Lanzar and Pyle were actually decent.

"Jordan Skoblenick" wrote in message
.. .
Is it just me, or is there something wrong with these subs:

Will they sound like ass, or just not perform, or what?
J Skoba

MZ

I understand where you're coming from. And yeah, it's probably true that
the build quality of Pyramid subs aren't as good as, say, a JL sub. But to
call it "junk" is too broad of an assessment of the usefulness of the
product. A lot of folks are after the best sound they can get on a very
limited budget. When that's the case, going with less expensive equipment,
like Jensen, Pyle, and so forth, isn't a bad option. You can build a
halfway decent system with "junk." So, as far as I'm concerned, that
doesn't make it junk.

I just ordered a pair of 4" Vifa drivers from Parts Express. Know how much
they cost? $2.99 each.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=299-488

Yes, that may classify them as "junk", but you never know. I may find an
application where they could be put to good use, and they may just be better
than you'd think.

"smoove" wrote in message
They are JUNK just like Pyramid and Lanzar are these days. There was a

time
13-14 years ago Lanzar and Pyle were actually decent.

"Jordan Skoblenick" wrote in message
.. .
Is it just me, or is there something wrong with these subs:

Will they sound like ass, or just not perform, or what?
J Skoba

smoove

I am looking at running these with all over priced equipment
http://formula1caraudio.com/product_...3ab0fcc25d6b8f
pyramid 3 way passive crossovers.

news

"smoove" wrote in message
They are JUNK just like Pyramid and Lanzar are these days. There was a
time
13-14 years ago Lanzar and Pyle were actually decent.

"Jordan Skoblenick" wrote in message
.. .
Is it just me, or is there something wrong with these subs:

Will they sound like ass, or just not perform, or what?
J Skoba

Chad Wahls

"MZ" wrote in message
news
[...]

I've used those drivers in a 3 way home design. I thought they worked very
well. They are still running and the design of the system was to be cheap
and loud as hell. I wold have no quams in using them in a high end system.

Chad

Chad Wahls

"Dark1" wrote in message
.. .
This wouldn't be funny really, but I recently saw MZ post about his $250
behringers he's using to fill that role... the irony abounds! LOL

Apples and oranges, the Behringer includes delay (time allignment), eq, and
many different modes of filtering... Get this... For every input and output.
Dollar per dollar the Behringer is a better deal.

Chad

Dark1

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message

"Dark1" wrote in message
.. .
This wouldn't be funny really, but I recently saw MZ post about his $250
behringers he's using to fill that role... the irony abounds! LOL

Apples and oranges, the Behringer includes delay (time allignment), eq,
and many different modes of filtering... Get this... For every input and
output. Dollar per dollar the Behringer is a better deal.

Chad

oh I have no doubt it's worth the money, I fully appreciate high end
equipment.. just found crossovers coming up while mz preached the virtues
of the cheap stuff a little ironic at that point

MZ

Apples and oranges, the Behringer includes delay (time allignment), eq,
and many different modes of filtering... Get this... For every input and
output. Dollar per dollar the Behringer is a better deal.

Chad

oh I have no doubt it's worth the money, I fully appreciate high end
equipment.. just found crossovers coming up while mz preached the virtues
of the cheap stuff a little ironic at that point

Not really ironic. In fact, it proves my point. Note that the Behringer is
the cheapest one of those you can buy.

Chad Wahls

Yeah, Been hectic at work, big construction summer! I'll probably reply
today or tomorrow, sorry, uni job, gotta make hay when the sun shines

Chad

"MZ" wrote in message
Hey Chad, did you get my email? I've been having troubles with my email
as of late, so it wouldn't surprise me if it never made it to you...

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message

"Dark1" wrote in message
.. .
This wouldn't be funny really, but I recently saw MZ post about his $250
behringers he's using to fill that role... the irony abounds! LOL

Apples and oranges, the Behringer includes delay (time allignment), eq,
and many different modes of filtering... Get this... For every input and
output. Dollar per dollar the Behringer is a better deal.

Chad

I have a 88 Oldsmobile Custom cruiser... Looking for Subs... XFiend Car Audio 1 October 1st 04 01:51 PM
wiring options for 2 subs (2 omhs vs 4 ohms) Eddie Kern Car Audio 5 August 13th 04 05:48 AM
FS: Armageddon Z-Series 12" and 15" subs DIRT CHEAP!!! Divyne Audio Car Audio 0 July 1st 04 12:19 AM
very cheap subs. pil Car Audio 6 February 15th 04 04:15 AM
Cheap Subs scott johnson Car Audio 2 July 14th 03 05:02 PM