Jon Davis

Default Best small mixer and/or mixer/amp/spkr combo?

This is another form of a question I asked earlier.

I need to know what the best 8/10/12/14/16 channel mixer buy is for me. If a
particular mixer / rackmount amp / speaker / mic combo is good, then I'd
like to know about that.

This isn't for recording although if it's good enough for recording then
that'd be great. We're a tiny little 30-or-so member church (w/ a sanctuary
that can hold 250 or so). We have an old Peavy 8-channel mixer that's 19"
wide and about eight feet (kidding, more like two and a half feet) deep and
half a foot tall. It's nice, but there is "audio bleed" when some sliders
are all the way down and there is a LOT of hiss. The amp is old too, with
one side burnt out. The speakers are big 18" Peavys that only handle 100
watts each.

I'm just looking for a cheap replacement sound system. I'm not concerned
about it sounding perfect, so long as it lasts a while and does the job.
Price is very important!! But now if sliders or channels go completely out,
I don't want to have to spend money getting it repaired and/or replaced.
Some people have reported entire sliders and/or left or right sides going
completely out, and, yikes, that's really the only kind of thing that scares
me away. Is it unlikely for that to happen for me if it stays in a fixed
location?

A combo of 12-channel Behringer UB1832FX-PRO mixer / Crown XLS202 200-watt x
2 channels amp / 2-15" Yamaha S115 speakers can be had for less than $1,000.
If there is a better option, I'd like to know.

I'm a musician and I'm buying this out of my personal pocket so that I can
take it with me for personal use if I leave this church (or the church can
buy it from me), and I don't have a lot of money. Looking for a perfect
price / feature / performance compromise.

Thanks,
Jon

Harry Lavo

"Jon Davis" wrote in message
[...]

Your best bet may be used Shure 367's. These are rackmountable for use in
church, and are quiet enough and have good enough mic preamps (plus 48v
phantom) to be useful for recording. they are mono, however, so you will
require two.

If the budget doesn't stretch that far and you can live without phantom
power, used Shure 267's are available on eBay for about $100 each if you buy
carefully. Sometimes the rack ears are thrown in..otherwise they cost $25
from Shure. The 267's are quite a bit noisier (Shure says 25db) than the
367's so you have to use them near the top of their gain (Shure provides
built in limiters which work well as a safeguard) and they have only 12v
external power (okay for Shure condensers and some others, but not 48v).

Hope this helps.

Jon Davis

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
Your best bet may be used Shure 367's. These are rackmountable for use

in
church, and are quiet enough and have good enough mic preamps (plus 48v
phantom) to be useful for recording. they are mono, however, so you will
require two.

Thanks Harry. Do you mean the M367? There are only six channels. I really
need a slider mixer with at least 8 direct input sliders (12 channels if
four inputs are stereo). The amp'd output of the M367 also prohibits me from
panning and mixing down in stereo before amplification even if I bought two.
I prefer to keep the amp and the mixer separate, for reasons such as these.
Like I said, I'm buying this as much for myself and my music (in case I
leave this fellowship) as I am buying it for the church's use.

Thanks,
Jon