Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default DAC Differences

I just had an opportunity to compare, in my own system, several current
USB DACs. One was the new DragonFly by Audioquest, the next was the Ayre
Acoustics QB-9 and the third was the PS Audio PerfectWave II.

Anybody who thinks that DACs all sound the same, is either deluding
himself (or herself) or simply can't hear. I realize that there have
been a number of fairly high-profile "studies" performed whereby the
results of ABX tests show "conclusively" that all DACs sound alike. But
using the same computer to feed all three DACs from the computer's USB
ports (all three are Asynchronous USB using the same TI USB receiver
chip) and carefully matching levels, I have found that they all sound
different, and while all are good, the Ayre QB-9, even though it's only
24/96 KHz (as is the DragonFly) is head and shoulders above the other
two. The DragonFly is an excellent product, but the Ayre simply has more
"there" there. For the first time, I was able to notice that on a jazz
album that I have had in vinyl form, CD, and SACD and now via a 24/96
download from HDTRacks, and have been listening to (in one form or
another) for probably close to 30 years, the pianist is playing a
Fender-Rhodes electric piano (or something very similar) and not the
Brazilian "tinpanola" that I always assumed he was playing. I couldn't
tell the difference with with the vinyl record, the CD or the SACD and
couldn't tell it from any of the DACs i've had on hand until I played
the 24/96 FLAC file through the Ayre Acoustics QB-9. Now I can hear
quite readily and easily that the piano is a mechanical-electric one!

I have heard other differences too that are either glossed over by
lesser DACs or not audible on vinyl. Clearly the Ayre Acoustics QB-9 is
the best DAC this audiophile has ever heard.

Quite a revelation for me.

Audio_Empire
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Haley Andrew Haley is offline

Audio_Empire wrote:
I just had an opportunity to compare, in my own system, several current
USB DACs. One was the new DragonFly by Audioquest, the next was the Ayre
Acoustics QB-9 and the third was the PS Audio PerfectWave II.

Anybody who thinks that DACs all sound the same, is either deluding
himself (or herself) or simply can't hear. I realize that there have
been a number of fairly high-profile "studies" performed whereby the
results of ABX tests show "conclusively" that all DACs sound alike.

Oh, come on, no-one is saying that. What has been said is that if
components don't sound alike there is some good reason such as gross
differences of level, frequency response, noise, or distortion -- all
things that can easily be seen on a spectrum analyzer. This isn't
surprising: the ear is a spectrum analyzer. If there ever is a
difference detected in a listening test that can't be explained in
terms of such differences it'll be time for physiologists to do some
new fundamental research. Maybe there's a Nobel Prize in it.

Andrew.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dick Pierce[_2_] Dick Pierce[_2_] is offline

Andrew Haley wrote:
Audio_Empire wrote:

I just had an opportunity to compare, in my own system, several current
USB DACs. One was the new DragonFly by Audioquest, the next was the Ayre
Acoustics QB-9 and the third was the PS Audio PerfectWave II.

Anybody who thinks that DACs all sound the same, is either deluding
himself (or herself) or simply can't hear. I realize that there have
been a number of fairly high-profile "studies" performed whereby the
results of ABX tests show "conclusively" that all DACs sound alike.

Oh, come on, no-one is saying that. What has been said is that if
components don't sound alike there is some good reason such as gross
differences of level, frequency response, noise, or distortion -- all
things that can easily be seen on a spectrum analyzer. This isn't
surprising: the ear is a spectrum analyzer.

And not a very good one at that, for a variety of reasons,
notable drift, susceptibility to external (and often) unrelated
influences, poor dynamic range, long overload recovery, high
noise, poor resolution, high masking, ...

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

In article ,
Dick Pierce wrote:

Andrew Haley wrote:
Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

Not to mention expectational bias. I have a friend who swears that an
AudioQuest USB cable with a "bias" battery attached makes a big,
positive difference when swapped in place of a standard computer-type
USB cable, even though he KNOWS, on an intellectual level, that this is
scientifically impossible.

Here's a question...

What the hell is a battery connected to a cable with ONE lead (not even
a return lead to complete the circuit) supposed to do anyway? No wonder
they say that the battery lasts "for years". with only one terminal
connected to anything, battery life would be, essentially, the battery's
shelf life. Now I'm only a poor electronics engineer, but I was taught
at a power supply (or battery) with one lead left floating, is a
disconnected battery or power supply/ Can someone please explain to me
what this "bias" on a cable is supposed to accomplish?

BTW, I saw a printed ad recently for cables from a company called
Shunyata Research (or something similar). I found it almost funny
because the ad shows a series of three supposed oscilloscope photos. The
top one shows a square-wave labeled "the source" signal (ostensibly
using a low-reactance real oscilloscope probe/lead) and it is properly
square. The next picture shows, ostensibly, the same signal through a
"competitor's" cable and it is quite rounded on the leading edge of the
square wave showing a slow rise time. The final picture shows the ad's
product square wave and it is a lot less rounded off on the rising edge
(having a much shorter rise time). This is real impressive UNTIL one
looks closely at the oscilloscope data that is listed next to the three
oscilloscope traces. The frequency at which these pictures were made was
ONE-HUNDRED MEGAHERTZ! It certainly shows that the Shunyata Research
cables are superior to their competition as FM lead in wire from the
antenna, but I'm at a loss as to what relevance this has to either
tested sample as an audio interconnect! Who do they think that they are
fooling, anyway?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
isw isw is offline

In article ,
Audio_Empire wrote:

In article ,
Dick Pierce wrote:

Andrew Haley wrote:
Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

It attracts money ...

Isaac

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

In article , isw

Audio_Empire wrote:

In article ,
Dick Pierce wrote:

Andrew Haley wrote:
Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

That's about the best (and probably the most accurate) answer to that
question that anyone could possibly give, Isaac. I can't think of any
reason why this would work and the company's explanation of "polarizing
the dielectric" to achieve better conductivity of the cable and to
reduce dielectric absorption makes no sense. you can't polarize anything
with a single battery pole.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Andrew Haley" wrote in message
Audio_Empire wrote:

I just had an opportunity to compare, in my own system, several current
USB DACs. One was the new DragonFly by Audioquest, the next was the Ayre
Acoustics QB-9 and the third was the PS Audio PerfectWave II.

Anybody who thinks that DACs all sound the same, is either deluding
himself (or herself) or simply can't hear. I realize that there have
been a number of fairly high-profile "studies" performed whereby the
results of ABX tests show "conclusively" that all DACs sound alike.

I question the above diagnosis of a mental disorder (delusional) in all
persons who may disagree with the author's opinions.

Oh, come on, no-one is saying that. What has been said is that if
components don't sound alike there is some good reason such as gross
differences of level, frequency response, noise, or distortion -- all
things that can easily be seen on a spectrum analyzer. This isn't
surprising: the ear is a spectrum analyzer. If there ever is a
difference detected in a listening test that can't be explained in
terms of such differences it'll be time for physiologists to do some
new fundamental research. Maybe there's a Nobel Prize in it.

This seems especially relevant, as the preferred device the Aye QB-9 has
signficiant frequency response abberations in the normal audible range.

Please see:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/a...c-measurements

It appears that the device may be up to 3.5 dB down at 20 Khz.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio_Empire wrote:

I just had an opportunity to compare, in my own system, several current
USB DACs. One was the new DragonFly by Audioquest, the next was the Ayre
Acoustics QB-9 and the third was the PS Audio PerfectWave II.

Anybody who thinks that DACs all sound the same, is either deluding
himself (or herself) or simply can't hear. I realize that there have
been a number of fairly high-profile "studies" performed whereby the
results of ABX tests show "conclusively" that all DACs sound alike.

I question the above diagnosis of a mental disorder (delusional) in all
persons who may disagree with the author's opinions.

Be my guest, but anyone who cannot hear the differences between DACs
must have SOMETHING wrong with them. I.E. they must be either unable to
hear those differences or they have talked themselves into not hearing
them (this would be the "delusional" part to which I was referring).
People delude themselves about things every day in order to protect
their own core values and opinions in their own minds. It's hardly a
mental disorder, more likely, it's human nature.

Oh, come on, no-one is saying that. What has been said is that if
components don't sound alike there is some good reason such as gross
differences of level, frequency response, noise, or distortion -- all
things that can easily be seen on a spectrum analyzer. This isn't
surprising: the ear is a spectrum analyzer. If there ever is a
difference detected in a listening test that can't be explained in
terms of such differences it'll be time for physiologists to do some
new fundamental research. Maybe there's a Nobel Prize in it.

This seems especially relevant, as the preferred device the Aye QB-9 has
signficiant frequency response abberations in the normal audible range.

You consider 20+ KHz to be in the normal audible range? I didn't know
that Mr. Kruger had canine hearing (I'm impressed!). Most humans over
about the age of 20 can't hear 16 KHz, much less higher.

Please see:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/a...c-measurements

It appears that the device may be up to 3.5 dB down at 20 Khz.

Oh, contraire, sir! Figure 4. showing frequency response, clearly
displays that the Ayre QB-9 is but a HALF of a dB down at 20 KHz at
96KHz sampling rate. (all my listening tests were done at 24-bit, 96
KHz) and doesn't reach -3.5 dB until just below 45 KHz!

While at 44.1 KHz, OTOH, it looks to be about -3.5 dB (or greater) on
the top end, I suspect that that cutoff frequency is a bit above 22KHz,
which is as it should be with a 44.1 KHz sampling frequency per Nyquist.
The chart hasn't enough resolution to tell exactly at which frequency
the roll-off becomes really steep, but it would make sense that it's
above 22 KHz. Even if it were 20 KHz, nobody could hear it well enough
for it sound, somehow "wrong".
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Haley Andrew Haley is offline

Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:

Anybody who thinks that DACs all sound the same, is either deluding
himself (or herself) or simply can't hear. I realize that there have
been a number of fairly high-profile "studies" performed whereby the
results of ABX tests show "conclusively" that all DACs sound alike.

I question the above diagnosis of a mental disorder (delusional) in all
persons who may disagree with the author's opinions.

Be my guest, but anyone who cannot hear the differences between DACs
must have SOMETHING wrong with them. I.E. they must be either unable to
hear those differences or they have talked themselves into not hearing
them (this would be the "delusional" part to which I was referring).

But seriously, how can you possibly know that? Hi-fi buffs hear all
kinds of things, for example the unconnected battery you mentioned
earlier. None of us is immune to this kind of thing; not you, not me.

An "audibly perfect" DAC chip can be had for a few dollars. All an
audio manufacturer has to do is package it, provide it with a decent
power supply and maybe a buffer stage, and not mess it up. That's not
trivial, but neither is it something that an electronics engineer
would find terribly challenging. Of course, a manufacturer might
choose to make their DAC different from others by some deviation from
an ideal response.

People delude themselves about things every day in order to protect
their own core values and opinions in their own minds. It's hardly a
mental disorder, more likely, it's human nature.

Well, yes. But of course that arrow points both ways.

[...]

I wouldn't have thought so either.

Andrew.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

In article ,
Andrew Haley wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

You're correct. There is no way way for me to know why someone else
cannot hear the differences in DACs. That's why I only speculated about
the reasons they can't hear such great differences, and did not say for
sure. I don't know, for sure, honestly. I just know that DACs are all
over the place with regard to the way they sound, and those differences
are consistent and repeatable, even under blind and double-blind test
conditions.

An "audibly perfect" DAC chip can be had for a few dollars. All an
audio manufacturer has to do is package it, provide it with a decent
power supply and maybe a buffer stage, and not mess it up. That's not
trivial, but neither is it something that an electronics engineer
would find terribly challenging. Of course, a manufacturer might
choose to make their DAC different from others by some deviation from
an ideal response.

Like you, I doubt if the D/A chip itself is the reason for these vast
differences in DAC sound. It's the way the rest of the circuit is
designed, from power supplies, to filtering, to the analog circuitry
driving the output as you say. It's rare to find a cheap DAC that sounds
as good as a more expensive one due to cost constraints when designing
to a price. For instance, the $250 DragonFly is a great product. It
raises the bar considerably on sub-$1000 DACs, but against the Ayre
Acoustics QB-9 it loses out in terms of low-end impact, transient
response, and detail recovery. As far as frequency response is
concerned, there seems to be little difference either in listening or in
measurement (compare the two tested frequency response curves between
the Ayre and the DragonFly in Stereophile's archives. They are very
similar until you get to things like impulse response, HF jitter
spectrum plots, and the like, and it becomes clear that while the
DragonFly measures very good, the Ayre with it's "apodizing" filter is
better.

People delude themselves about things every day in order to protect
their own core values and opinions in their own minds. It's hardly a
mental disorder, more likely, it's human nature.

Well, yes. But of course that arrow points both ways.

Of course it does. All humans are susceptible to prejudice, and
different types and levels of bias, both conscious and unconscious.
That's why biases must be controlled and tests need to be devised to
either set those biases aside or make them apparent to all participants
in the test as well as all of those who analyze the results.

[...]

True enough.

Andrew.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

On 11/18/2012 2:17 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

**You'd think. I sure did. Recently, I enlarged my workshop to include a
listening room, using high quality speakers and amplification. For some
time I've been using a Harman Kardon HD970 CD player as my main source.
It is an exceptionally good player, which also happens to be quite
versatile. A few weeks back a client sent a Marantz CD80 in for service
and modification. After a lens clean and lube I put it in my system for
a quick listen. WOW! A 23 year old player comprehensively beat my
relatively recently manufactured HK player. The difference was not
measurable that I could ascertain. Yet the sonic difference was
certainly noticable (FR, THD, et al were all beyond the limits of
audibility). I replaced the ancient 5534 OP amps with AD825 chips. No
measurable improvement. Sound-wise, I couldn't reliably hear any
difference either. The client claimed that there was a difference and he
was happy.

Why did the Marantz sound better than the HK? Dunno.

The HK uses completely different DACs to the Marantz and a discrete
transistor output stage. I certainly did not expect the Marantz to
provide a superior sound to the HK. It's 23 years old! I expected that,
at best, there would be no audible difference. At worst, I certainly
expceted the HK to beat the Marantz.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio_Empire wrote:

I just had an opportunity to compare, in my own system, several
current
USB DACs. One was the new DragonFly by Audioquest, the next was the
Ayre
Acoustics QB-9 and the third was the PS Audio PerfectWave II.

Anybody who thinks that DACs all sound the same, is either deluding
himself (or herself) or simply can't hear. I realize that there have
been a number of fairly high-profile "studies" performed whereby the
results of ABX tests show "conclusively" that all DACs sound alike.

I question the above diagnosis of a mental disorder (delusional) in all
persons who may disagree with the author's opinions.

Be my guest, but anyone who cannot hear the differences between DACs
must have SOMETHING wrong with them.

I will show that above claim above is not logical:

It is perfectly logical that a person would hear no differences between DACs
when the DACs were as physically identical copies of the same product as is
possible. One might argue for the audilbity of metaphysical differences in
order to believe otherwise. Or one might argue that all copies of the same
product sound different from each other in which case recommending products
by make and model would be illogical.

It is perfectly logical that a person would hear no differences between DACs
when the DACs were products that had measurably identical performance, or as
identical is pracdtically possible. . To say otherwise would represent total
disbelief in the relevance of all audio measurements.

It is perfectly logical that a person would hear no differences between DACs
when the DACs were products that had measurably similar performance that was
within the realm of the sensitivity of human perception to measurable
differences To say otherwise would represent total disbelief in the
relevance of all existing knowlege of human perception.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

That's specious, at best. It should be understood by all reading this
discussion that we are not discussing two units of the same make and
model, or even two units that use the same circuit design.

It is perfectly logical that a person would hear no differences between DACs
when the DACs were products that had measurably identical performance, or as
identical is pracdtically possible. . To say otherwise would represent total
disbelief in the relevance of all audio measurements.

But again, anyone who believes that this discussion is about DACs which
Identical measured performance, should not be wasting their time
responding to this thread.

It is perfectly logical that a person would hear no differences between DACs
when the DACs were products that had measurably similar performance that was
within the realm of the sensitivity of human perception to measurable
differences To say otherwise would represent total disbelief in the
relevance of all existing knowlege of human perception.

Again, it should be obvious that no one is talking about such DACs.
Your examples are reductio ad absurdum.
kronosav kronosav is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Empire View Post
[...]

I have my own experience with PS Audio PerfectWave II, this is a perfect and remarkable hi end music product but it require true XLR balanced output or the RCA single ended out put as the next best alternative.

Big differences between 44.1 and 96Khz. Why? philicorda[_9_] Pro Audio 183 May 24th 10 04:06 PM
Differences between EL 84 and EL 34 ...? PenttiL[_2_] Vacuum Tubes 10 October 22nd 08 12:08 AM
u87 differences anon Pro Audio 11 October 6th 04 04:21 PM
u87 differences anon Pro Audio 0 October 3rd 04 08:29 PM
RME 8di Pro Vs DS.. Differences? FrankDebro1 Pro Audio 0 August 22nd 03 09:59 PM