Todd McFadden

Default What is your opinion?

Well, I managed to introduce a lot of controversy (and even start a couple
of fights) with my post about the infamous Behringer article. Now I give
you this video to ponder. What do you think of the school. I must admit I
am a big fan.

http://www.berklee.edu/cgi-bin/php/a...sions/Berklee-
256.mov&w=320&h=260

Todd

Captain Slick

Todd McFadden wrote:
Well, I managed to introduce a lot of controversy (and even start a couple
of fights) with my post about the infamous Behringer article. Now I give
you this video to ponder. What do you think of the school. I must admit I
am a big fan.

http://www.berklee.edu/cgi-bin/php/a...sions/Berklee-
256.mov&w=320&h=260

Todd

Berklee? Never heard of it.

-Bill

P.S. Berkeley yes
Joe Kesselman

Berklee? Never heard of it.

Located in Boston. Has a decent reputation from what I've heard; it's
not a rip-off of Berkley despite the similarity of names. I've gone to a
few performances there (and a few Sonar user-group sessions).

Basically, "what I think of it" is that you should do your homework
before applying to any school.
J.S.

Hey man,
I actually went and got a Bach. of Music ... Engineering major. I have had
an amazing experience there. Beeing surrounded by so many people that are,
heart and soul, into all kinds of music really opens your mind and makes you
appreciate each other. Even the Profs were actually really into Music, as
opposed to the guys that just hang around a college because they couldn't
really cut it in the real world. Go ahead and check out some of the guys
credits. And as much as the teachers are fairly blunt about the reality of
the harchness of the corporate Music industry, it was still an unadulterated
spot to really study your art and not think too much about the
disappointments and bitterness out there. I didn't feel cheated really,
since they really were pretty clear about the whole "money drives
everything" reality, but it let me draw a lot of artistic freedom and power
that I still need to not get too caught up in all the bull out there, and
remember why I got into this thing Music ... I know: a little to poetic for
some people that have been bitter for so long, but that is just really what
I felt there.
The realworld preperation was great in a sense of testing in a microcosm.
Berklee has a small "Label" that the students run.But from A&R to producers,
artists, players, studios, engineers, royalty dept., everything was done by
students. It was a great prep for the realworld. Shows your the money flow,
and in a micro-sense who's but is going to be kissed by who.
In terms of equipment: We had 3 SSL 4K's, and a bunch of Sony MXR's and
02R's to play around, and dispite the ProTool thing still plenty of Tape
around. Here in Nashville I have a heard time finding assistants that still
have that part of it together, and usually need a tech to align the machine
if I don't do I myself. A lot more outboard gear than I could even
comprehend back then ... Noone really told me "how cool of a compressor the
1176 is", but they asked us to compare a lot of gear without any
preconceptions. Pultec, Drawmer (yup, lot's of the famous gates;-),
Tubetech, Fern, tons of Urei, GML, and a killer Tech crew, run by a rather
unsocial, but very nice FREAKIN' GENIUS. You guys would be as entertained as
amazed at some of the mods that were done to some of the gear. In terms of
DAW's: lots of PT and SonicSolutions. I can truely say that when I started
working after school I may have not been the best mixing engineer out there,
but at no point did I feel like I was overwhelmed assisting, and soon
running a serious session. There is no question that I didn't continue
learning a ton in the "real world", but I was well prepared.
The other great thing about the school: They MAKE you play your instrument,
and take Eartraining, Harmony and Arranging classes for two years (at
least) in order to get your Bachelors Degree. You will have no problems
reading, transcribing during a session.
You get out of it what you put in. There are always duds graduating, and
there is even the occasional dud teaching, but if you are really wanting to
work and are passionate, there are few limits to Berklee as far as I can
see.
I also haven't really met anyone (as much as there have to be at least some
out there to be realistic ...) who had a bad Berklee experience, but I will
leave that up for the masses ;-)
Long answer --- sorry.
Peace,
Ted

"Todd McFadden" wrote in message
Well, I managed to introduce a lot of controversy (and even start a couple
of fights) with my post about the infamous Behringer article. Now I give
you this video to ponder. What do you think of the school. I must admit
am a big fan.

http://www.berklee.edu/cgi-bin/php/a...sions/Berklee-
256.mov&w=320&h=260

Todd

Chevdo

In article , says...

[...]

That's a bit of a false dilemma; be an airhead or be bitter?

I remember Berklee soliciting students on usenet over 10 years ago. I
considered going that route myself. It's got to be more respectable than the
typical recording-schools we have locally, which are little more than schemes
to collect student loans from idiots. Still, I figure most 'real' universities
have music programs, so I'd do that before going to a music school. Plus since
I don't have any student loans I could get one if I ever need it, unlike those
who frittered their loans away in their youth at the music or hairdressing
school.

[...]

m...
Well, I managed to introduce a lot of controversy (and even start a couple
of fights) with my post about the infamous Behringer article. Now I give
you this video to ponder. What do you think of the school. I must admit
am a big fan.

http://www.berklee.edu/cgi-bin/php/a...sions/Berklee-
256.mov&w=320&h=260

Todd

Scott Dorsey

Todd McFadden wrote:
Well, I managed to introduce a lot of controversy (and even start a couple
of fights) with my post about the infamous Behringer article. Now I give
you this video to ponder. What do you think of the school. I must admit I
am a big fan.

Of Berklee?

Well, a couple regular posters here teach there, and at least one fellow
is a student there, so they have some representation in the group. They
do seem to be a real college, with a more diversified education than
a typical conservatory.

studiorat

FAME !!!!
I wanna live forever!!!
The ad is shocking.
I've seen their stuff on line.
The courses seem to be well put together.

It looks like a pretty serious place.
How much is it ?

BTW.
JS how many of your year are working?

Todd McFadden

Thanks for the responses. My post was really an experiment. I can't reveal
why just yet, but I will in a few weeks. This may have set some sort of
record. It is the first set of responses to anything on this newsgroup that
appears to be unanimously favorable. That speaks volumes about the school
and confirms my thoughts and opinions as well.

Again, thanks. You've helped me in ways you'll hear about later.

Todd

"studiorat" wrote in message
ups.com...
FAME !!!!
I wanna live forever!!!
The ad is shocking.
I've seen their stuff on line.
The courses seem to be well put together.

It looks like a pretty serious place.
How much is it ?

BTW.
JS how many of your year are working?

J.S.

Hey man,
I may have left myself open for that, and I apologize if that is what it
came across as. I didn't mean to discount the people that are in the middle
of that, but I do have to say that a good number of people around me that
are serious about their art in music (be it engineering/production, be it
performance) get bitter and frustrated that in the reality of the music biz
talent and work do not equate success. Yes, that is true in a lot of places,
but I don't think it is quite as radical as in this industry. I have seen
people with really serious chops losing a major touring gig to a guy that
can truely JUST move around with power chords because dude's got spikier
hair, and knows a guy.
I have to admit for myself that it is hard to watch some guys get gigs,
simply based on politics, and schmusing, while a really great engineer and
nice guy, that doesn't self advertise like crazy gets overlooked or when a
label has decides (without listening) that a mix from an actually really
talented and dedicated guy couldn't possibly be as good as the Lord-Alge mix
(respectfully!), because "that is the thing to do with singles".
At the other extreme, I don't think that it is "airhead" at all to be
desinterested in making bank and going after an artform with a passion even
if there is most likely no money to be made, as much as it surely seems to
be rediculous to some people. But so far I have found that the NY Jazzer
that can hardly pay rent is frequently happier than the Nashville engineer,
making good money mixing stuff he/she really couldn't care less about.
I am sure that there are plenty people in the middle, although I truthfully
have to say that is not something I see a lot during sessions (with the
exception of people that are simply making the best of it), but then again I
am not claiming to know the whole town.
In terms of academia, you are correct --- they are not necessary turning out
genius after genius, but there is a "boston arts exchange" program out there
(I think that is what it was called), and based on location it makes it
easier to take classes at other schools. A lot of buiseness guys took
courses at Harvard, and several of us engineers took some courses or night
classes at MIT while at school (even some of the Prof's do). Again, you only
get out as much as you put in ... but there are plenty opportunities to get
a well rounded education if you are looking for one. You still get a
Bachelors, and can teach, or move on to a masters. So, I can't honestly see
a a good reason a "real" college would have been a better choice for me.
Contrary to that though, I have found some doors to open even quicker if you
are associated with Berklee.
I hope that clears it up a little better.
Peace,
Ted

"Chevdo" wrote in message
[...]

om...
Well, I managed to introduce a lot of controversy (and even start a
couple
of fights) with my post about the infamous Behringer article. Now I
give
you this video to ponder. What do you think of the school. I must
admit
am a big fan.

http://www.berklee.edu/cgi-bin/php/a...sions/Berklee-
256.mov&w=320&h=260

Todd

Roger W. Norman

You need a better rounded music knowledge than. Berklee is one of the
premier music and arts education facilities in the country.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Captain Slick" wrote in message
Todd McFadden wrote:
Well, I managed to introduce a lot of controversy (and even start a

couple
of fights) with my post about the infamous Behringer article. Now I

give
you this video to ponder. What do you think of the school. I must

admit I
am a big fan.

http://www.berklee.edu/cgi-bin/php/a...sions/Berklee-
256.mov&w=320&h=260

Todd

Berklee? Never heard of it.

-Bill

P.S. Berkeley yes

Captain Slick

Roger W. Norman wrote:
You need a better rounded music knowledge than. Berklee is one of the
premier music and arts education facilities in the country.

Well, that was my opinion, and that's what the OP asked for. Does
everyone else in the group have a better rounded music background than
I? Is it a prerequisite knowledge for pro audio?

-Bill
Agent 86

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 17:13:52 +0000, Captain Slick wrote:

Roger W. Norman wrote:
You need a better rounded music knowledge than. Berklee is one of the
premier music and arts education facilities in the country.

Well, that was my opinion, and that's what the OP asked for. Does
everyone else in the group have a better rounded music background than
I?

Sure looks that way.

Is it a prerequisite knowledge for pro audio?

If the audio you're producing is musical, then yes. If you do sound for
TV news, game shows, documentaries, museum archives etc., you may be OK.

Captain Slick

Agent 86 wrote:
Well, that was my opinion, and that's what the OP asked for. Does
everyone else in the group have a better rounded music background than
I?

Sure looks that way.

[Rim shot]

Poorly phrased, let me try again. Have most people in the group
cultivated their music background to make them better professionals?

-Bill

Dave Martin

I like to think that I've cultivated my professional background to make me a
better musician.

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

Poorly phrased, let me try again. Have most people in the group
cultivated their music background to make them better professionals?

-Bill

Scott Dorsey

My opinion is that some of the best music in the world was written by
Bizet, who doesn't get half the credit he should. I also have the opinion
that recordings should be an attempt to reproduce or to emulate the
experience of a live event. Also, I think schnauzers are silly-looking
dogs and shouldn't be forced to get such bad haircuts. And I am also
of the opinion that the weather in Denver is much too dry.

hank alrich

Dave Martin wrote:

"Captain Slick" wrote...

Poorly phrased, let me try again. Have most people in the group
cultivated their music background to make them better professionals?

I like to think that I've cultivated my professional background to make me a
better musician.

I'm hoping to better my background music to make me a cultivated
professional.

--
ha

Roger W. Norman

Well, that was my opinion, and that's what the OP asked for. Does
everyone else in the group have a better rounded music background than
I? Is it a prerequisite knowledge for pro audio?

Then you have no opinion, thus didn't serve a purpose with your post, right?
Just because you aren't knowledgable about a school doesn't mean it doesn't
exist, it just means you have no knowledge about it. There is no proof or
opinion in your statement one way or the other.

BTW, Berkeley is only a location for the University of California, just like
UCLA is the University of California/Los Angeles or UCI is the University of
California/Irvine. However, Berklee is the actual name of the institution
and is easily googled for research purposes. Of course, that goes for the
OP's question too.

But to answer your last quoted question, yes, it would be at least nice that
you knew of the major higher education facilities just in case one were to
take you, an aspiring engineer or producer or whatever, to be an expert on
further education. It is often much more appropriate to say you don't know
when such is true. One can then assume that you speak from a truth
standpoint rather than one of being ignorant of the subject at hand.

--

Roger W. Norman wrote:
You need a better rounded music knowledge than. Berklee is one of the
premier music and arts education facilities in the country.

Well, that was my opinion, and that's what the OP asked for. Does
everyone else in the group have a better rounded music background than
I? Is it a prerequisite knowledge for pro audio?

-Bill

Roger W. Norman

Poorly phrased, let me try again. Have most people in the group
cultivated their music background to make them better professionals?

Well, in my best kung fu teaching voice, the answer is yes, the good ones do
because it's important to them to continue to learn too. Probably not one
of us here doesn't learn something of use every day. Whether it's something
seemingly superflous such as the reputation of a music school, to how to
read jazz charts so you know where the changes are and what to expect, to
learning how to read music well enough to handle an entire orchestra and
anything inbetween including those that hone their skills as musicians yet
use them infrequently in recording.

The more knowledge you have, the better you can serve your clients. One
circumstance you don't want to be in is one of learning from the client as a
matter of necessity. Nothing wrong with learning from a client, as we all
do from time to time. But the idea of it becoming a necessity places you at
the lowest rung of the music making population and not a real commodity.
And without clients, one doesn't really have much to offer to the recording
world, do they?

--

Agent 86 wrote:
Well, that was my opinion, and that's what the OP asked for. Does
everyone else in the group have a better rounded music background than
I?

Sure looks that way.

[Rim shot]

Poorly phrased, let me try again. Have most people in the group
cultivated their music background to make them better professionals?

-Bill

Roger W. Norman

Well, a couple regular posters here teach there, and at least one fellow
is a student there, so they have some representation in the group. They
do seem to be a real college, with a more diversified education than
a typical conservatory.

They also have non-credited summer sessions that take most any student
willing to pay the price. How could one hold a place like Berklee as a
question when it can help students such as Al Di Meola. And while Johnny
Winters might make one wonder whether such an education is worth it in terms
of popularity and success (or even Eddie Van Halen), one only has to look at
the depth and breadth of music a musician such as Al can encompass as a
matter of course, whilst Johnny wouldn't feel at home in any environment
that didn't have blues as it's base.

In other words, why should one step outside of the box? Particularly when
one can make the box as big as they want? The latter seems to be the more
astute methodology towards the study of any of the arts. And the good thing
is that it keeps you busy and out of the pool halls! g

--

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Todd McFadden wrote:
Well, I managed to introduce a lot of controversy (and even start a

couple
of fights) with my post about the infamous Behringer article. Now I give
you this video to ponder. What do you think of the school. I must admit

am a big fan.

Of Berklee?

Roger W. Norman

I think the most important thing that was said here is that you'll get out
what
you put into it. The place has all the gear, and can probably afford

upgrades
more readily than other recording and music schools.

Well, there are course specific environments like SAE that have tons of
money spent for the purpose of educating aspiring engineers, but for the
most part those desiring to attend probably far outnumber the people who can
actually achieve getting a job with the school on their resume. Major
facilities are folding faster than even a few years ago, although other
facilities are expanding to meet an expanding market. But job opportunities
are faltering even so and the requirements for success in the mainstream of
the recording industry are becoming more diverse even as they trend towards
more specificity. For instance, one might be expected to know how to read
an orchestral score and be able to run Pro Tools. Either one might get you
a job, but both skills will more quickly get you a job.

So I guess it just depends on how much your brain can hold. There are times
when I forget that two years ago I yanked two tubes out of my Traynor Mark
III, much less how to decode an M-S recording properly when I don't use it
but once every 5 years.

The point being that having all the gear only means you have all the gear.
Having such is not a path to success.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
http://blogs.salon.com/0004478/

"Chevdo" wrote in message
In article ,

says...

Thanks for the responses. My post was really an experiment. I can't

reveal
why just yet, but I will in a few weeks. This may have set some sort of
record. It is the first set of responses to anything on this newsgroup

that
appears to be unanimously favorable. That speaks volumes about the

school
and confirms my thoughts and opinions as well.

I think the most important thing that was said here is that you'll get out

what
you put into it. The place has all the gear, and can probably afford

upgrades
more readily than other recording and music schools. If you have access

to all
the gear, you can learn everything you want to even if the instructors

suck.
At the local recording school here, even if the instructors are great, the

fact
is that they make you work with obsolete DAWs and there is a smaller
gear-student ratio. At Berklee at least you might not be waiting in line

with
your classmates for your 10 minutes on the only pro console to complete

your
projects.

Again, thanks. You've helped me in ways you'll hear about later.

Todd

"studiorat" wrote in message
oups.com...
FAME !!!!
I wanna live forever!!!
The ad is shocking.
I've seen their stuff on line.
The courses seem to be well put together.

It looks like a pretty serious place.
How much is it ?

BTW.
JS how many of your year are working?

Captain Slick

In retrospect my first comment does seem flippant although it was not my
intention. Yes I'm ignorant and lack a rounded background in music. In
no way did I mean to disparage Berklee. (See previous sentence) Thanks
for your comments Roger, I see now that there's a entire aspect to
r.a.pro that I wasn't aware of.

-Bill
Roger W. Norman

In retrospect my first comment does seem flippant although it was not my
intention. Yes I'm ignorant and lack a rounded background in music. In
no way did I mean to disparage Berklee. (See previous sentence) Thanks
for your comments Roger, I see now that there's a entire aspect to
r.a.pro that I wasn't aware of.

We don't aim to denegrate, we aim to educate. The idea of working in music
without having some serious basics in music is something I've never
previously given consideration.

Then again, I've often said that we need to offer up our resumes to
www.recaudiopro.net so that people would have a place to go look and get
some background on whom they are talking to. We used to have regulars that
would blow your mind on accomplishments. As new people come in, demanding
that their ideas are the correct ones, the idea of mentoring has faded away.
Ten years ago you could talk directly to George Massenberg, Bob Ohlsson,
John LaGrou, amongst a number of others and get highly qualified answers.
Of those still here today Mike Rivers, Scott Dorsey, Hank Alrich, Ty Ford
and a number of others still hang on, but when push comes to shove, it's not
likely that this will be the case for a number of years in the future.

Hell, I've been blown out of the water so many times that I only read in
most cases today. Sometimes I have time, sometimes I have things to say,
most times RAP isn't even a consideration anymore. This actually hurts me
more than I want to admit, but there it is.

Out of the people that I've conversed with over the past 15 years online
I've learned more from Glenn Meadows, Bob Ohlsson, George Massenberg, Bill
Park and numerous others I can't even list. Having actually had a chance to
work with John Vengrouskie, Mike Rivers, Scott Dorsey and others from this
group simply puts it all into perspective. This group is here for the
purpose of helping those that don't have the experience to gain that
experience. Gabe Weiner set this group up, and at 26 he passed away, yet
left a legacy of quality work. Many of us are decades older and yet still
haven't achieved what Gabe did, and so when those like George or Bob only
somewhat post here weakens us all. It also places those of us with less
experience than the masters in the position of helping to bring up the new
crew.

For anyone to walk into a restaurant and say that the food tastes like ****
requires that they can cook the food better. For those that don't know
this, we lose important people.

I assume you see the dilemma?