Doug

Default Need opinion

I have $5000 to spend on a CD player, amp and tower speakers,
subwoofer and reciever. I don't need anything too exotic, but I want
good. I play it in my 40x 26 room which doubles as my music room.
Anyone have any just solid recommendations. Like the Toyota Lexus of
sound systems. Not surround sound. Not magneplanars (no room). Tower
speakers and about 100-150 watts per channel. Good multi disc CD
player. I don't care if the system is modular or not. I want it to
last a long time.
dave weil

On 17 Aug 2004 19:24:46 -0700, (Doug)
wrote:

I have $5000 to spend on a CD player, amp and tower speakers,
subwoofer and reciever. I don't need anything too exotic, but I want
good. I play it in my 40x 26 room which doubles as my music room.
Anyone have any just solid recommendations. Like the Toyota Lexus of
sound systems. Not surround sound. Not magneplanars (no room). Tower
speakers and about 100-150 watts per channel. Good multi disc CD
player. I don't care if the system is modular or not. I want it to
last a long time.

A 40 X 26 room is a huge room to fill with sound. Just wanted to let
you know that. I know that some will scoff, but you might benefit from
something like some large Klipsch speakers like the Cornwalls that I
used to have. They are efficient, so you'll get a lot of bang from
your wattage. You can usually get nice examples of them from eBay from
between $500 - 1000, although you can plan on at least $200 shipping
costs.

Just out of curiosity, in a room that size, why don't you have room
for Maggies? I would think that it wouldn't be a problem at all. I
like Maggies, but I have to wonder if they'd work in that size room.
I'd think that they'd probably need a subwoofer (which wouldn't be
such a bad idea anyway).

Also, I wouldn't write off surround sound because you might get a
better large room response with a second smaller pair of speakers to
sort of "fill in" the sound.

You might want to tell us the height of your ceiling as that's part of
the equation as well. Certain height/width/depth ratios work better
than others. You're dealing with a three dimensional space, you know.
Arny Krueger

"Doug" wrote in message
om
I have $5000 to spend on a CD player, amp and tower speakers,
subwoofer and reciever. I don't need anything too exotic, but I want
good. I play it in my 40x 26 room which doubles as my music room.
Anyone have any just solid recommendations. Like the Toyota Lexus of
sound systems. Not surround sound. Not magneplanars (no room).

How does one have no room in a 40 x 26 room?

S888Wheel

(Doug)
Date: 8/17/2004 7:24 PM Pacific Standard Time
I have $5000 to spend on a CD player, amp and tower speakers,
subwoofer and reciever. I don't need anything too exotic, but I want
good. I play it in my 40x 26 room which doubles as my music room.
Anyone have any just solid recommendations. Like the Toyota Lexus of
sound systems. Not surround sound. Not magneplanars (no room). Tower
speakers and about 100-150 watts per channel. Good multi disc CD
player. I don't care if the system is modular or not. I want it to
last a long time.

Vandersteen SCe speakers
http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/The...Signature.html

Vandersteen 2W subwoofer
http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/Pdffiles/2wlit.pdf

VTL integrated amp
http://www.vtl.com/pages/buying_guide.html\

This may go a bit beyond your budget but not that much. It will sound great.
Joseph Oberlander

Doug wrote:

I have $5000 to spend on a CD player, amp and tower speakers,
subwoofer and reciever. I don't need anything too exotic, but I want
good. I play it in my 40x 26 room which doubles as my music room.
Anyone have any just solid recommendations. Like the Toyota Lexus of
sound systems. Not surround sound. Not magneplanars (no room). Tower
speakers and about 100-150 watts per channel. Good multi disc CD
player. I don't care if the system is modular or not. I want it to
last a long time.

Please provide a real name and email address for a proper
response.

Michael McKelvy

"Doug" wrote in message
om...
I have $5000 to spend on a CD player, amp and tower speakers,
subwoofer and reciever. I don't need anything too exotic, but I want
good. I play it in my 40x 26 room which doubles as my music room.
Anyone have any just solid recommendations. Like the Toyota Lexus of
sound systems. Not surround sound. Not magneplanars (no room). Tower
speakers and about 100-150 watts per channel. Good multi disc CD
player. I don't care if the system is modular or not. I want it to
last a long time.

Sony CD player, whatever model has the features you desire. I don't know of
any well known brand of CD player that sounds different from any other so
there's no real need to agonize over this device.

Adire Sadhara Subwoofer available through www.adireaudio.com.
This sub $795.00 thru the end of August and is normally $995.00. You may
wish something more conventional looking in a sub but Adire, Hsu, and SVC I
believe are the true leaders in this area.

I tend to prefer stand mounted speakers but a good tower system would be the
PSB Stratus Silver. Anything from B&W is worth a listen. NHT is also worth
a listen.

Do remember it is the speakers that you actually hear so pick them out first
and then decide what to drive them with.

If you are set on a receiver I'd go with something from Yamaha, but ideally
I'd go for an integrated amp and tuner or pre/tuner and power amp. My amp
of choice would be QSC great sound, great bang for the buck

Since you're not interested in home theatre I think the above suggestions
will get you the most for your money, especially since most receivers these
days seem to come with home theatre features. You can still get one of them
and simply not use the other channels and if you change your mind you'd be
ahead of the game.

For the money you are looking to spend there is every reason to expect you
will have a very fine sounding system.

Good luck.

Sander deWaal

"Arny Krueger" said:

The OPs priorities are thus clear - it's more important to have a large room
over-stuffed with furniture than to have good sound.

The challenge being creating as good sound as possible in the existing
environment.
These are the real-world scenarios most of the time.

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."

normanstrong

"Doug" wrote in message
om...
I have $5000 to spend on a CD player, amp and tower speakers,
subwoofer and reciever. I don't need anything too exotic, but I want
good. I play it in my 40x 26 room which doubles as my music room.
Anyone have any just solid recommendations. Like the Toyota Lexus of
sound systems. Not surround sound. Not magneplanars (no room). Tower
speakers and about 100-150 watts per channel. Good multi disc CD
player. I don't care if the system is modular or not. I want it to
last a long time.

I'll be happy to discuss the matter with you, but only by e-mail, and
certainly not in this newsgroup.

Norm Strong

Joseph Oberlander

normanstrong wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
om...

I have $5000 to spend on a CD player, amp and tower speakers,
subwoofer and reciever. I don't need anything too exotic, but I want
good. I play it in my 40x 26 room which doubles as my music room.
Anyone have any just solid recommendations. Like the Toyota Lexus of
sound systems. Not surround sound. Not magneplanars (no room). Tower
speakers and about 100-150 watts per channel. Good multi disc CD
player. I don't care if the system is modular or not. I want it to
last a long time.

I'll be happy to discuss the matter with you, but only by e-mail, and
certainly not in this newsgroup.

That was my point, too - send me an email and talk elsewhere
as it takes literally HOURS for a flamewar to start in here.

Joseph Oberlander

George M. Middius wrote:

Joseph Oberlander said:

Please provide a real name and email address for a proper
response.

Why don't you post another collection of vacuous generalities, Obie?

There's only so much I can do not being there in person
(ie - real life client), and most people want help narrowing
the choices down. Give them 4-5 good choices to look at and
most people will be fine with one of them.

Internet advice IS vague by nature.

Sander deWaal

Joseph Oberlander said:

That was my point, too - send me an email and talk elsewhere
as it takes literally HOURS for a flamewar to start in here.

THAT long? I've seen it happen in 43 seconds* :-)

*really!

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."

Joseph Oberlander

Sander deWaal wrote:

Joseph Oberlander said:

That was my point, too - send me an email and talk elsewhere
as it takes literally HOURS for a flamewar to start in here.

THAT long? I've seen it happen in 43 seconds* :-)

The recrod I've seen is about two hours from a legitimate
newcomer's post to Middius and Kreuger and the rest...

That kind of response - they must LIVE next to their computer.
Do a lookup of posts and times for both of them - it's
amazing the HOURS a day they spend online just typing up
crap. And not one tiny thing is let by - they HAVE an
almost pathologial response mechanism. Poke - flame.
Poke - flame. Poke Poke Poke Flame Flame Flame. Every
ten minutes all day long.

Sander deWaal

Joseph Oberlander said:

That kind of response - they must LIVE next to their computer.

Well, ever since I have a laptop next to my workbench.......
I must confess to spend too much time on the Internet .
Oh well, The She [tm] is still in the hospital right now, so don't
tell her :-)

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."
Lionel

Sander deWaal a écrit :

Joseph Oberlander said:

That kind of response - they must LIVE next to their computer.

Well, ever since I have a laptop next to my workbench.......
I must confess to spend too much time on the Internet .
Oh well, The She [tm] is still in the hospital right now, so don't
tell her :-)

All my best wishes for a quick recovering now.
Sander deWaal

Lionel said:

Oh well, The She [tm] is still in the hospital right now, so don't
tell her :-)

All my best wishes for a quick recovering now.

Thank you. In fact, she's been home for a few days inbetween , but
then some serious problems arose again.
It's still uncertain when she'll be home again. Considering the
circumstances, she's doing allright now, but she's still on
intravenous supply of drugs and even food.
Might take a while this time.

Fortunately, the hospital is only 5 minutes away from home.

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."
Lionel

Sander deWaal a écrit :

Lionel said:

Oh well, The She [tm] is still in the hospital right now, so don't
tell her :-)

All my best wishes for a quick recovering now.

Thank you. In fact, she's been home for a few days inbetween , but
then some serious problems arose again.
It's still uncertain when she'll be home again. Considering the
circumstances, she's doing allright now, but she's still on
intravenous supply of drugs and even food.
Might take a while this time.

It believed to understand that she has done a recidivism on an first
infection. If it's the case you are right the antibiotic treatment could
be long this time.
Patience and quietness... I am sure that you are an expert. :-)

Fortunately, the hospital is only 5 minutes away from home.

Perhaps it would be reassuring for her to know that we are taking care
of you. )

Sander deWaal

Lionel said:

It believed to understand that she has done a recidivism on an first
infection. If it's the case you are right the antibiotic treatment could
be long this time.

In fact, this is the 3rd or 4th revival of said infection.
A bad combination of antibiotics resulted in anaflactic shock (SP?).
We've been there before, but it scares the hell out of me every time.

Patience and quietness... I am sure that you are an expert. :-)

One gets to learn along the way.
Love is the best teacher.
I could almost apply for male nurse jobs :-)

Fortunately, the hospital is only 5 minutes away from home.

Perhaps it would be reassuring for her to know that we are taking care
of you. )

Ouch.......if only she knew.
Some of the regulars here who know of our situation, are sending their
good vibrations to us.

A silent house, despite I have music on all day.
I guess I'll never get used to *that* .

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."
Lionel

Sander deWaal a écrit :

Lionel said:

It believed to understand that she has done a recidivism on an first
infection. If it's the case you are right the antibiotic treatment could
be long this time.

In fact, this is the 3rd or 4th revival of said infection.
A bad combination of antibiotics resulted in anaflactic shock (SP?).
We've been there before, but it scares the hell out of me every time.

Patience and quietness... I am sure that you are an expert. :-)

One gets to learn along the way.
Love is the best teacher.
I could almost apply for male nurse jobs :-)

DIYers are often good improvisators. ;-)

Fortunately, the hospital is only 5 minutes away from home.

Perhaps it would be reassuring for her to know that we are taking care
of you. )

Ouch.......if only she knew.
Some of the regulars here who know of our situation, are sending their
good vibrations to us.

I will do my best...
....I've put Tord Gustavsen "Changing places" on the CD for her. Not a
genial music but full of good intentions.

A silent house, despite I have music on all day.
I guess I'll never get used to *that* .

Sander deWaal

Lionel said:

Some of the regulars here who know of our situation, are sending their
good vibrations to us.

I will do my best...
...I've put Tord Gustavsen "Changing places" on the CD for her. Not a
genial music but full of good intentions.

Thanks for that. We can use all the good intentions and positive
thinking we can get. She believes that helps, and while I'm a bit more
sceptical about that, the power of imagination is a strong one.
I'll pass the news on to her.

Thanks again!

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."
Bruce J. Richman

Sander deWaal wrote:

Lionel said:

Some of the regulars here who know of our situation, are sending their
good vibrations to us.

I will do my best...
...I've put Tord Gustavsen "Changing places" on the CD for her. Not a
genial music but full of good intentions.

Thanks for that. We can use all the good intentions and positive
thinking we can get. She believes that helps, and while I'm a bit more
sceptical about that, the power of imagination is a strong one.
I'll pass the news on to her.

Thanks again!

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."

Don't understimate the power of positive imagery and visualizations in
promoting physical health. Many procedures used in what is known as behavioral
medicine, such as biofeedback and encouraging patients to use visualization in
dealing with their illnesses, have been shown through empirical research to
have positive results.

My sincere wishes for your wife's speedy recovery, Sander.

Bruce J. Richman

Joseph Oberlander

George M. Middius wrote:

Joseph Oberlander said:

Why don't you post another collection of vacuous generalities, Obie?

There's only so much I can do not being there in person
(ie - real life client), and most people want help narrowing
the choices down. Give them 4-5 good choices to look at and
most people will be fine with one of them.

Actually, I spoke too soon... You told the other guy about Jolida, which
is remarkably concrete for a wannabe 'borg.

Jolida is only one of dozens of possible hybrid choices.
I like them because you can get the unit with a remote
for well under $1000.

Bruce J. Richman

Sander deWaal wrote:

(Bruce J. Richman) said:

My sincere wishes for your wife's speedy recovery, Sander.

Thanks Bruce, we appreciate that!
She'll never be "better" in the sense of completely healthy, since she
has 2 chronical diseases, but we're used to live with that.
But this evil kidney infection thing has to vanish now, note.

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."

Well, let's hope for the best. I've spent more time in hospitals and had more
surgeries than I want to remember, so i think I can appreciate how the two of
you feel. Hopefully, better days lie ahead.

Bruce J. Richman

Doug

As a followup, yes this is a great room. Living room, entry area and
dining room combined. No, I do not have room for maggies. Sorry, but I
don't. The room is not overstuffed with furniture, it has furniture in
it and my guitar amps and music area, piano, two couches, a drum, book
case, guitar stand, mirror on the wall, fireplace, closets etc. The
ceiling is slanted over the living room part, 8' up to 16' above. Open
balcony above. There is a 6' french doors into the TV room and I
sometimes listen to the stereo from in there, so the whole room is a
spaeker. The walls are sheetrock, there aren't curtains, I have
levelour blinds on the two windows (venetion, but smaller deals).

Anyway, I didn't want to start a flame war. Actually I listened to the
Klips and liked them. I agree with Sony on the CD. So its just
speakers, subwoofer and amp that needs to be decided. I don't want
tube amps. Thanks for your help.
Doug

I'm probably going to ask some not-so-informed questions.
1. I use the CD to learn songs (I'm a guitar musician), so I need to
output to some devices, this is an extra output from the amp to, well
it could be a number of things, a Sabine "riff slow down machine", or
could be one of my guitar amps that have a CD input. I don't know,
maybe the output needs to come from the CD player. Maybe I need both.
3. I need balance right and left as some of my CD's REQUIRE it. Amps
still have these right?
4. I also need inputs. So if I want to connect my Zoom recorder thing
(we used to call these tape recorders, but mine is digital), and play
it through the home stereo, (it has an output like a CD player), I
can.
5. Do all amps have a subwoofer output? I don't understand how
subwoofers connect. Subwoofers have their own amps right? Do they
connect to the amp or to the CD unit?
6. Is it possible to connect a microphone or mic pre amp to a home
stereo?
7. I have lots of other musical stuff. Drum machine, keyboard,
acoustic electric (I have a solid state amp for it, but....)
8. Anyway, I need LOTS of inputs and outputs.
9. Is it possible to build my system with Pro Audio gear. Like get an
amp, a mixer and such, but use Klips and such for speakers? I know
it's possible, but would it be practical?

Honestly, is there a book or something on how all this stuff works.
(mostly the connections). I went to three hifi stores and there was SO
much stuff. Then the pro audio. I'm floundering.

Arny Krueger

"Doug" wrote in message
om

I'm probably going to ask some not-so-informed questions.

Seems like you should be posting in alt.music.home-studio or
alt.music.4-track or rec.audio.pro .

1. I use the CD to learn songs (I'm a guitar musician), so I need to
output to some devices, this is an extra output from the amp to, well
it could be a number of things, a Sabine "riff slow down machine", or
could be one of my guitar amps that have a CD input. I don't know,
maybe the output needs to come from the CD player. Maybe I need both.

You seem to be describing a need for a recording console. Not a big one, but
a little one that might cost you only like $100 or $200.

3. I need balance right and left as some of my CD's REQUIRE it. Amps
still have these right?

Some do, some don't. Recording consoles do.

4. I also need inputs. So if I want to connect my Zoom recorder thing
(we used to call these tape recorders, but mine is digital), and play
it through the home stereo, (it has an output like a CD player), I
can.

Recording consoles have as many inputs as you need, and you can use them
concurrently.

5. Do all amps have a subwoofer output? I don't understand how
subwoofers connect. Subwoofers have their own amps right? Do they
connect to the amp or to the CD unit?

Neither. Subwoofers connect through crossovers that route just the bass to
them. Sometimes these crossovers are built into the subwoofer, and sometimes
they are built into surround receivers.

6. Is it possible to connect a microphone or mic pre amp to a home
stereo?

Did I say recording console?

7. I have lots of other musical stuff. Drum machine, keyboard,
acoustic electric (I have a solid state amp for it, but....)

Did I say recording console?

8. Anyway, I need LOTS of inputs and outputs.

Did I say recording console?

9. Is it possible to build my system with Pro Audio gear. Like get an
amp, a mixer and such, but use Klips and such for speakers? I know
it's possible, but would it be practical?

It's done all the time, by people who are intersted in working with music.

Honestly, is there a book or something on how all this stuff works.
(mostly the connections). I went to three hifi stores and there was SO
much stuff. Then the pro audio. I'm floundering.

One of the more popular classic starter books in pro audio is:

"Sound Reinforcement Handbook Second Edition by Yamaha"

Forget the fact that the title says Yamaha, its a good book and says almost
nothing that would be specific or peculiar to Yamaha. Also forget that it
says anything about sound reinforcement, very much of what it says also
applies to recording.