Doug

Default Not happy with the bass in my trunk. Help?

I recently helped my nephew install a $200 12" sub/amp/box combo in
the trunk of his car (Olds Cutlass ca '87). We put the subs facing
forward, and he gets substantial bass. They were cheap Profile subs
and a Profile amp with a Q-logic sealed box, a Circuit City package
deal. I don't know the size of the box, but it was a pretty big one,
probably big enough for porting.

Here's his setup:
Profile CA400M mono sub amp (class AB?)
200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
320 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
I think the subs are Profile, but I don't recall which ones. Cheap
pair of 4-ohm subs wired in parallel for 2-ohm load.

He gets excellent bass; I was amazed at the results. We had to turn
down the gain on the amp.

I just installed a similar setup in my Corolla. I'm not happy with
the bass.

2 10" Polk GNX10 4 ohm subs wired parallel 2-ohm (I even measured the
resistance to make sure)

US Acoustics USB-600D mono sub amp (class D)
200 or 250 watts rms @ 4ohm
300 or 375 watts rms @ 2ohm
The Web site states the larger figure; the manual states the smaller
figure, same input level.

Two Roadmaster sealed sub boxes from Wal-Mart (I have lots of things
to spend my money on, so I try to be frugal where I can).
The sub boxes are 0.6 cu ft; the subs require .66 cu ft.

I wasn't happy with the bass, so I stuffed 8 oz of poly fill in each
box. ...helped some, but not much. The speakers face rear, but are
up against the back seat. I need my trunk space. I moved them all
the way back, which helped a bit, but not much, so they're back
against the seat now. ...haven't tried them facing the seats.

So, is it the boxes, the subs, the amp, the car? We used the same
install kit in each car (4 ga from batt to trunk; 8ga from block in
trunk to amp.) Mine aren't as loud or as low as my nephew's. Should
I get a better box or bigger subs or more amp???? I bought from
Crutchfield, so I can send any of it back within 30 days.

Polk says to break the subs in for 20 hours at moderate volume levels,
so I really haven't hit them with full power yet. ...up to about 12
hours so far.

I also have a partial setup I bought for my 91 Burban, but never
installed:

A pair of JL Audio 10W1 8 ohm subs, but they require a .75 enclosure,
and an ESX Q275 mono sub amp. I don't have a box.

The amp is rated:
275 W rms @ 4 ohm
450 W rms @ 2 ohm

The Polks are rated for 175W rms each; the JL's for 125.

I'm open to suggestions for any of you wizards who have stuck with me
this long.

I need small-box 10" subs for the Burban, can go bigger in the
Corolla.

Put the stuff from the Corolla in the Burban and the JL/ESX in the
Corolla?

Buy bigger subs or bigger box for Corolla?

Tony Fernandes

What frequency do you and your nephew have the subs crossed over at?

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

Todd

Default Not happy with the bass in my trunk. Help? O/T

Tony,

A bit off topic but you wrote:

"What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that
he simply doesn't exist at all? And that we created him so that we wouldn't
have to feel so small and alone. -Eleanor Arroway, Contact"

I would say the fact you are operating within a giant perfectly timed machine called
the Universe ought to be clue #1 that there is a Creator, don't you?
--
Todd

Todd

Well, if a person ignores the evidence ...
--
Todd

Dan Erick

"Todd" wrote in message news:8_zzc.758735$oR5.318449@pd7tw3no...
Well, if a person ignores the evidence ...

Right on Todd. If someone believes that all this happened by chance
they have a whole lot more faith than I do. And I believe in a God
that most people (including myself) have never seen. Just the evidence
of Him that is all around us. =)

Dan
Tony Fernandes

I think the truth about a "creator" or the nature of the universe or what
happens after we die transcends conscious thought. It's not even something
you and I can discuss becuase of our finite ability to comprehend. I'll
stipulate their MAY be a creator if you can stipulate that there may NOT be
one. Becuase really, neither of us really knows for sure. ;-)

Tony

--

"Todd" wrote in message
Well, if a person ignores the evidence ...
--
Todd

Doug

I set mine just low enough that I couldn't tell that the sound was
coming from the trunk. It's fairly low. I don't remember where we
set his, but you couldn't tell the sound was coming from the trunk.
Even when I turned the crossover up so that I could definitely tell
where the sound was coming from, it's still not really what I was
expecting. It is a bit louder, however.

I'm going to try to visit my nephew and do some comparisons and try
his subs in my trunk and vice versa. ...but I think his family is
outta town. I'm also gonna try the JL subs and see what they sound
like with both amps.

Is there that much difference between 10's and 12's? The Crutchfield
tech advisor seemed to think that was the main difference. He didn't
think the box size was an issue, which was what I was concerned about.

Should I maybe get a pair of 12's and run them offa the ESX amp
instead? ...use what I have now in the Burban.

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:58:07 -0700, "Tony Fernandes"
wrote:

What frequency do you and your nephew have the subs crossed over at?

Tony

Tony Fernandes

Yes, try and switch boxes with your nephew and see what happens.

I'm not sure how much difference you're seeing, but there will be a
difference between the two 10s and the two 12s. I would tend to think it
has more to do with box placement and the size of the trunks. I'm assuming
the trunk in the Cutlass is WAY bigger than Corolla. Switching boxes should
answer some questions.

Tony

--

wrote:

What frequency do you and your nephew have the subs crossed over at?

Tony

Doug

Tony,

Thanks for letting me pick your brain. His trunk is quite a bit
bigger than mine. I also remembered what subs he had; they are
Profile Baja subs, made for slightly larger box than the Polks I
bought. If I remember correctly, the box he got had a port hole
covered with an insert, so it is probably a rather large box.

I'll know more later this week when I get a chance to go see him.

Doug

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:57:32 -0700, "Tony Fernandes"
wrote:

Yes, try and switch boxes with your nephew and see what happens.

I'm not sure how much difference you're seeing, but there will be a
difference between the two 10s and the two 12s. I would tend to think it
has more to do with box placement and the size of the trunks. I'm assuming
the trunk in the Cutlass is WAY bigger than Corolla. Switching boxes should
answer some questions.

Tony

Doug

Maybe it's a frequency issue? I'm looking for that "feel" of bass
shaking my head, making my nose tickle and my head swim. Bass you
feel in your body more than your ears. Nephew's does a good job of
that; mine doesn't.

I don't listen to techno or rap music. I got the subs for when I feel
like being pounded by music.

Pink Floyd
Pantera
Metallica
AC/DC
George Thurgood

....and I like country too, and even Crash Test Dummies.

The bassiest thing I have is a Frogstomp CD I bought years ago and
rarely listen to. ...maybe the Wife's Enya CD's are kinda bassy; I
haven't tried them.

wrote:

What frequency do you and your nephew have the subs crossed over at?

Tony

Daniel Snooks

Doug wrote
Maybe it's a frequency issue? I'm looking for that "feel" of bass
shaking my head, making my nose tickle and my head swim. Bass you
feel in your body more than your ears. Nephew's does a good job of
that; mine doesn't.

Then I think you may need larger enclosures for the 10's. I have a single
10" Orion XTR (800W RMS) running off of a Zapco AG200 (205W RMS). I have
used this setup in my '85 Firebird, my '94 Sunbird and my '03 Cavalier. For
sealed I use 1.2 cuft, and for ported 2.4 cuft. I admit that it sounds
different in each scenario (especially the Firebird) but I have not been
disappointed with any of them. I cross over a little higher then I want
because I still use factory speakers up front and they don't do much below
100Hz.
For a experiment, try inverting the subs so that the magnet and basket
aren't taking up space in the enclosure. This should help a little with
low-frequency extension. Also, try listen with the windows rolled down,
cabin gain is a big factor in a vehicle.

I don't listen to techno or rap music. I got the subs for when I feel
like being pounded by music.

Pink Floyd
Pantera
Metallica
AC/DC
George Thurgood

...and I like country too, and even Crash Test Dummies.

The bassiest thing I have is a Frogstomp CD I bought years ago and
rarely listen to. ...maybe the Wife's Enya CD's are kinda bassy; I
haven't tried them.

I like the same stuff you have listed, but I also go in for the techno. I
don't get the kick I want with the dance music, but I blame that on not
having a decent set of components. enya is bassy, although I prefer to tone
the bass down when listening to it, the real beauty of her music is in the
midrange.

Dan