Keane Gruending

Default Newbie Questions (again)

Hey,
I just hooked up a 180W Clarion Amp and 10" Clarion Dual-Voice Sub in a
non-ported box in my Grand Prix.

Currently I have it running in mono mode off my right rear speaker
(spliced). Would I get better sound if I switched it to stereo mode and ran
additionally from the left rear speaker?

I am guessing mono I get the full 180W thump with the beats coming from the
right rear channel, whereas if I ran both speakers, it would be reduced to
90W per channel.

What do you guys think?
thx

Also how hot should this amp get? I ran it fairly hard for 30 minutes when I
just hooked it up today, and it was pretty damn hot. I have no idea how hot
is too hot... I think my ground connection is good if that is any concern.
thx

Kevin McMurtrie

In article je49d.631809$M95.469617@pd7tw1no,
"Keane Gruending" wrote:

Hey,
I just hooked up a 180W Clarion Amp and 10" Clarion Dual-Voice Sub in a
non-ported box in my Grand Prix.

Currently I have it running in mono mode off my right rear speaker
(spliced). Would I get better sound if I switched it to stereo mode and ran
additionally from the left rear speaker?

Mono mode usually means that the left and right inputs are mixed.
You're short by one input.

I am guessing mono I get the full 180W thump with the beats coming from the
right rear channel, whereas if I ran both speakers, it would be reduced to
90W per channel.

What do you guys think?
thx

I think you need to read the instructions.

Also how hot should this amp get? I ran it fairly hard for 30 minutes when I
just hooked it up today, and it was pretty damn hot. I have no idea how hot
is too hot... I think my ground connection is good if that is any concern.
thx

Electrolytic capacitors are rated for 85C (185F). Silicon components
are rated for a surface temperature of 90C to 125C (194F - 257F) or a
substrate temperature of 150C (302F). Resistors are fine as long as
they aren't smoking or causing their solder to evaporate.

In other words, it can get pretty damn hot without damage. Any good amp
will turn off when it's too hot.
Keane Gruending

"Kevin McMurtrie" Currently I have it running in mono mode off my right
rear speaker
(spliced). Would I get better sound if I switched it to stereo mode and
ran
additionally from the left rear speaker?

Mono mode usually means that the left and right inputs are mixed.
You're short by one input.

As in pull positive off say right rear, and negative off left rear?
How should I hook this thing up? The switch on the side is set to 'mono',
but i could switch it to 'stereo', there is another input channel as well..
thx

Mercury

if you pull the left rear positive and the right rear negitave you wont hear
a dang thing

The amp is a 2 channel amp correct? that means it can drive 2 channels or
possibly one channel bridged...

it should have 2 line in spots... one for the rear right and one for the
rear left...

180W RMS? if so that should be fairly nice

I got a 4 channel alpine amp driving my 2 way speakers... im not into the
bass scene... just wanted loud clarity

100W RMS per channel... I like it

Kenny
newsNc9d.656342$gE.192790@pd7tw3no...