Stewart Pinkerton

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:27:57 +1300, "Geoff Wood"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

The real difference was between the first generation and CD players
from about 1990 onwards. Since then, the number of buttons has decreased
but the sound remains the same.

Indeed so. I've just bought a 'Chinky cheapy' Pioneer DV-575AS
'universal' player, and it sounds identical both to my Sony CDP-715E
'dedicated' CD player and to a friend's Meridian 588, which I consider
to represent the state of the art in technical terms for a CD player.

i love my old clunker SOny ES player, with the 20 pad 'quick access' track
numbers. Want track 15 ? Hit button 15 and Bob's your uncle.

Granted that *is* an advantage of the Sony - I'd have to admit that
the Pioneer likes to take a calm and relaxed look at the disc for a
few seconds, before graciously deigning to play something!