Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Simon[_2_] Bob Simon[_2_] is offline

Default Amp for Subwoofer

I have some spare audio components and plan to modify a stereo system for biamp operation to add a subwoofer. The room is 22 x 24 and the existing amp and speakers are Adcom GFA-545 II driving Polk 10s (re-coned). I have available a Rane AC22 crossover, a second amp and an NHT passive subwoofer.

Im thinking about using a Crown D-75A (which can be set up to operate in bridged-mono mode) to drive the sub. Here are the specs:
Dual mode (both channels driven):
55 watts into 4 ohms.
40 watts into 8 ohms.
25 watts into 16 ohms.
Bridge-Mono mode:
110 watts into 8 ohms.
80 watts into 16 ohms.

Ive read that some applications require high current. Due to its light weight, I doubt this amp can source a lot of current. Does a subwoofer require a lot of current? If so, Im wondering if this amp would not be suitable for this purpose.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 21/11/2019 18:02, Bob Simon wrote:
[...]

What power is the speaker rated at? I used to have a subwoofer that was
rated at 300 watts RMS, 1200 watts peak. At 8 ohms, that is just under
40 amps RMS at rated power, 150 amps at peak.

The situation is actually a lot more complicated, as speaker impedances
are reactive, depend to a degree on cabinet design and vary with frequency.

Your amp is rated to supply up to 15 Amps into a bridged mono 8 ohm load.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote:

----------------------

What power is the speaker rated at? I used to have a subwoofer that was
rated at 300 watts RMS, 1200 watts peak. At 8 ohms, that is just under
40 amps RMS at rated power, 150 amps at peak.

** Fraid your math is waaaaay off.

Power = "I squared R" or I = sq.rt P/R

So 6.12Arms or 8.6A peak.

Your amp is rated to supply up to 15 Amps into a bridged mono 8 ohm load.

** No way:

I = sq.rt P/R

110/8 = 13.75 so I = 3.7A rms

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 2:31:11 PM UTC-6, John Williamson wrote:
What power is the speaker rated at? I used to have a subwoofer that was
rated at 300 watts RMS, 1200 watts peak. At 8 ohms, that is just under
40 amps RMS at rated power, 150 amps at peak.

The situation is actually a lot more complicated, as speaker impedances
are reactive, depend to a degree on cabinet design and vary with frequency.

NHT SW2: 10" woofer in vented enclosure. Frequency response: 21Hz-350Hz, ±3dB direct in. Crossover: 130Hz (passive version, built-in). Sensitivity: 89dB (2.83V at 1m), 200W maximum. Impedance: 8 ohms nominal, 6.2 ohms minimum.

I'm going to go ahead and configure the amp (which does NOT have a beefy power supply) for mono mode and try it out.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Bob Simon wrote:

I=E2=80=99ve read that some applications require high current. Due to its =
light weight, I doubt this amp can source a lot of current. Does a subwoof=
er require a lot of current? If so, I=E2=80=99m wondering if this amp woul=
d not be suitable for this purpose.

Try it. Does it clip? Does it overheat? If not, go with it.

The D-75A is not exactly the best sounding amplifier of all time, but
putting it on a subwoofer is likely to avoid most of the sound issues
with it, and that NHT subwoofer isn't a very demanding load.